How do you feel about rising obesity levels in America and Europe? (Read 458 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Click on the CDC link I posted, there is LOTS about the correlation between obesity and lower socioeconomic status. This is well studied.

Why is it sideways?

What about the correlation between obesity and eating salad at lunch because that's something that has come up anecdotally lately for me.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That is why I never eat salad.

The pleural of anecdote is lung tissue.

Click on the CDC link I posted, there is LOTS about the correlation between obesity and lower socioeconomic status. This is well studied.

<Trent> Thanks, I should have read that before I asked the question. This part of the breakdown is predictable.

20-30 year olds shouldn't be fat yet. So we hit 40something & realize we've let ourselves go. Then the 60plus folks are thin again. But some of the other statistics are interesting.

Women stay thinner if they get a degree or have a higher income, but black & Mexican-American men get heavier as their income level increases? How odd.

Then the chart said no state has less than 20% occurrence of obesity. But then the chart said self-reported obesity, so how accurate is it? I know a few people who think they're not really overweight. The whole I'm not fat just big-boned delusion.

I'd be interested in activity levels for these same groups. Perhaps in a few years the information from the activity trackers so many wear these days will be available for comparison. I'm not convinced obesity is as much about how we eat as it is about how little we move. Though I'm willing to concede it's a combination of both problems.

<Jeff> I had baby spinach salad with cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, seared rare Angus sirloin steak and blue cheese dressing today. It didn't make me swell up and roll away yet. Maybe after tomorrow's salad...

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

There are no vegetables on The Dollar Menu.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Not true.

French fries. They are even fried in vegetable oil.

xhristopher

Don't forget the pickle!

MrH

There are no vegetables on The Dollar Menu.

Well it's not meat, so what is it?

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Well it's not meat, so what is it?

There's animal, mineral, vegetable, and other.

Mysecondnewname

I don't eat at McDonald's, but prompted by this thread, I just took a look at the menu and nutritional info.   http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food.html

I was really surprised that it was not as bad as I thought it would be in that there are probably about 10 to 12 menu entrees that aren't caloric train wrecks.  (Of course, that is counterbalanced by a lot of super salty "heart attacks on a plate" items.)  In a pinch, I could probably figure out something I could eat there if I had to.

That said, the choices are not quite as horrific as I was led to believe by "Supersize Me" and the like.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yea tell me more about the methodology specifically if anyone have been far even as decided to use even go want to do know more about.

Oh Princess, why fat country goes runs, yet no visible affect.  Observe alligator, hence no relation biped locomotion to speed. If you think muscle use influence speed then I laugh at your intellect.

I can teach anyone who really wants to lose weight to eat no dressing like kenyan women who have the secret. They pay me to train special forces with these secrets. But you are not serious or you would try my techniques.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Part of the problem is not evident in the heavily marketized caloric descriptions, but in the fact that much of the food is deeply processed and it is not entirely clear what it is anymore. That hamburger ain't the kind your grampa ate.

I don't eat at McDonald's, but prompted by this thread, I just took a look at the menu and nutritional info.   http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food.html

I was really surprised that it was not as bad as I thought it would be in that there are probably about 10 to 12 menu entrees that aren't caloric train wrecks.  (Of course, that is counterbalanced by a lot of super salty "heart attacks on a plate" items.)  In a pinch, I could probably figure out something I could eat there if I had to.

That said, the choices are not quite as horrific as I was led to believe by "Supersize Me" and the like.

Feeling the growl again

That hamburger ain't the kind your grampa ate.

Mine are.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Mysecondnewname

Part of the problem is not evident in the heavily marketized caloric descriptions, but in the fact that much of the food is deeply processed and it is not entirely clear what it is anymore. That hamburger ain't the kind your grampa ate.

Point well taken.