How do you feel about rising obesity levels in America and Europe? (Read 458 times)

I know a few people who think they're not really overweight. The whole I'm not fat just big-boned delusion.

as intractable as you think people in this group are, you should at least be aware of your own biases.  you can consider me to be deluded I guess.  but I've run a sub-20 minute 5k while over 40 years old and solidly "overweight" per BMI.  There are actual real live people who have BMI showing overweight who have a 34 inch waist and body fat under 18%.

Mine are.

Do the buns have only 4 ingredients - Flour, salt, yeast and water?

Feeling the growl again

Do the buns have only 4 ingredients - Flour, salt, yeast and water?

We were talking about the meat....and I remember the buns my grandfather(s) used, and they were no different from mine.  Half the time I just use bread and artificially enriched Wonder Bread goes back to the 1940s.  But the pickles are grown 20 feet from my kitchen.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Just being argumentative there Spaniel   there could be worst things we eat than the store bought bread that we use for our burgers.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

For the record, span, pickles are not grown.

Feeling the growl again

For the record, span, pickles are not grown.

They are grown.  Just not as pickles.  Just as beef is raised.  Just like the meat on my grill, the pickles thrown on top are fully in-house beginning to end.  Granted I don't make the pickling spices from scratch but I don't make my own BBQ sauce either.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

MrH

They are grown.  Just not as pickles.  Just as beef is raised.  Just like the meat on my grill, the pickles thrown on top are fully in-house beginning to end.  Granted I don't make the pickling spices from scratch but I don't make my own BBQ sauce either.

As Carl Sagan once said "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the Universe."

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

We agree, they are grown, just not as pickles. You grow the cucumbers and you make pickles.

dennrunner

We agree, they are grown, just not as pickles. You grow the cucumbers and you make pickles.

Except in spaniel's part of the country, just about anyone who grows cucumbers calls them pickles.  Of course, some people there call bell peppers, "mangoes" so there's that.

Except in spaniel's part of the country, just about anyone who grows cucumbers calls them pickles.  Of course, some people there call bell peppers, "mangoes" so there's that.

My parents do both of those.  For grins one day, I showed my mom one day what an actual mangoe was. Of course she still calls the green peppers mangoes.

kk_kittenkat

Pickled cucumbers are gherkins.

Feeling the growl again

I used to run cross country workouts through our town's old pickle plant.  I grew up to detailed stories about how my father grew cucumbers for the plant and details about how to trade off cucumber size vs weight to maximize profit when selling to the plant.  I'm very aware of the process.  Smile

I thought it would just be shorthand and everyone would know what I meant.  Thanks for making a shortcut consume 10X as much time.     (I probably deserve it for skipping Monkey this year)

Prince of Fatness

Thanks for making a shortcut consume 10X as much time.  

This is what he does.  You should know that by now.

Not at it at all. 

DavePNW

Of course, some people there call bell peppers, "mangoes" so there's that.

Is this a real thing? I have never heard of it. What part of the country is this, and what do they call an actual mango?

Dave

kk_kittenkat

Is this a real thing? I have never heard of it. What part of the country is this, and what do they call an actual mango?

Bell peppers at a guess

Or squid.