Do you run on the sidewalk or in the road? (Read 1156 times)

I usually like to run on the sidewalk, and only run in the road when I am in a group. However, I notice many other runners running in the road, even when they are by themselves. I live in an area that gets a lot of snow and the roads are crowned, so the flat sidewalk seems to make sense to me. Plus it keeps me out of the traffic. What does everyone think?
    "Live Healthy" www.blonderunner.com/blog/ Goal: Under 18:00 min in 5K
      deleted
      Doug Little

If I can safely run on a asphalt road versus concrete sidewalk, I'll do it. I live in a rural area and don't have access to many 4 lane roads, so it makes for an interesting challenge to avoid the crazo drivers who 'don't' see us. Plus many of my sidewalks are now handicap accessible and the continual up and down seems to bother my knees more.
        theyapper

On the road again...

Road.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Lia's Daddy

to many variables to make a blanket statement. Generally I prefer asphalt to concrete.
            "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen
            BostonRnr

Sidewalk. Too many cars and bikes on the road around here.

My legs are killing me

I avoid roads if I can, too many crazy drivers. I've had trucks and cars swerve in my direction to scare me. I've been shot at with water guns by teens and people just don't pay attention when they drive. I can see someone on their cell phone talking while I'm flying over their car. I run to improve my health, not to go to an early grave.
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

jeffdonahue

For me it depends on the road. If it is a main/busy road I tend to stick to the sidewalks. If it is a side road,then I tend to run on the road if I can - though I always try to run against traffic so I can see them coming.

Menace to Sobriety

Asphalt being softer, is easier on the legs. That would be my normal choice, but in high traffic areas, I stay on the sidewalk.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

mikeymike

When I used to run, I ran on the sidewalk and the road and the track and the trail and the field and the frozen lake and the golf course and some other stuff too.

Runners run

I prefer to run on Asphalt over Concrete......HOWEVER, I prefer MORE to be as far away from cars as possible, so if there is a sidewalk where I am running, the I will use it..... Smile Big grin Wink

Champions are made when no one is watching

I prefer to run on the road as it's a little softer. I'll hop on a sidewalk though depending on conditions such as a narrow shoulder, snow/ice, higher-speed traffic, amount of traffic, etc. If a large truck is coming or I hear an approaching siren, I always get off the road to make room. Oddly, there has been an approaching siren on all of my runs for the past couple of weeks... didn't realize that until I started writing.

-------------------------------------
                          5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                          10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                          1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                          Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Ok, I try to avoid blonderunner's posts, but I am curious about this whole asphalt vs. concrete thing. Most of my runs are split pretty evenly between these two surfaces. Do you guys honestly think that the asphalt is "soft" enough to make any difference? Seriously, I weigh 165, I can't believe the asphalt is "giving" any more than the concrete when I run on it. I sure don't feel any difference when I switch between the two.
                            mikeymike

Do you guys honestly think that the asphalt is "soft" enough to make any difference? Seriously,
                              No.

Runners run