10K Racing Strategy using HRM (Read 1026 times)

Hi all, I have a 10K this Saturday (my second). Since I don't own a device for giving me pace, I am planning to pace myself by HR. Any advice on how (or if) to use the HRM to pace myself during race? For context: I run at about 130 bpm when I'm going fairly easy; 150-160 bpm when I'm going pretty hard and 170-175 bpm when I'm absolutely going all out. My long term goal is build myself up to 30-40 mpw and hold it there for six months, keeping below HR at 180-age in each workout. My only "speedwork" will come in the form of races.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

rlemert

My apparent HRmax is around 170-172, maybe slightly higher. (This is consistently the max I get at the end of a 5K when I'm sprinting for the finish.) I finished a 10K yesterday averaging around 160. I could possibly have picked it up a little in the second half, but if this didn't take all I've got it took a good 98%. This gives you at least one data point to work from.
        My apparent HRmax is around 170-172, maybe slightly higher. (This is consistently the max I get at the end of a 5K when I'm sprinting for the finish.) I finished a 10K yesterday averaging around 160. I could possibly have picked it up a little in the second half, but if this didn't take all I've got it took a good 98%. This gives you at least one data point to work from.
        That gives me very solid reference point. Thank you.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

If you know your true max HR (as opposed to the ballpark 220-age formula (which is often incorrect)), it might make more sense to frame your question in terms of %MaxHR. So your 10k PR is 55:25 (assuming this was all-out.) In Daniels' Running Formula, the average HR for sustained all-out effort for 60 minutes is 92.5%, and 93% for 50 minutes. So based on this info, if you targeted 92~93%MaxHR, that'd be right in the ballpark for your 10k. (Obviously, HR will go up as you kick at the end -- the above values were average over the duration). However, I'd at least try at 20 minute or so tempo run at that pace to early in the week to make sure that the pace works for you. You don't want discover on race day that this pace is too fast for you and have a major crash-and-burn (and blame me). As you run and race more, you'll develop a more intuitive feel for pacing and won't have to rely on an HRM, which is inexact at best (as your HR can be affected by many other things besides running, like temperature, how much sleep you got, stress, whether or not you're getting adequate rest in your training, etc.)

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

an amazing likeness

Having run other distances, but never a 10K -- I posted here for advice earlier in the year and got a pretty good answer which has worked for me. One of the (many) very good racers here said something along the lines of: For a 10K...run hard until you feel like you're going to puke, then back it off a bit and hold it there to the end. This has worked well for me. I try to do a good warm up mile so I'm ready to go hard from the start, look to pick it up from mile 1 to 2, hang on to that pace through 3, 4 and 5, the hammer it home in mile 6. (of course all terms above that imply speed, ie "run hard", "hammer it home" are relative to my aging guy who sits at a desk all day abilities)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Assuming you're looking at something like 55 min, I'd go out at LT effort (effort you can hold for a 1-hr race) - and adjust as needed. If you've been doing all your runs at low-hr base level, then I'd consider running that effort sometime before the race so it's not completely new to you body.
              "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Dave

Jeff was spot on. Here's another data point from a 10 miler race that I ran. Most of my easy training runs are around 8:45-9:15 pace at around 145 average HR. My measured max is 185. 7:33, 159bpm 7:22, 169bpm 7:21, 170bpm (mostly uphill) 7:03, 168bpm (slight downhill) 7:17, 171bpm 7:09, 173bpm 7:07, 174bpm 7:17, 176bpm 7:07, 176bpm 7:28, 174bpm Using the Karvonen HR method (% of working heartrate of resting + %max(max-resting), that puts my HR at about 90-92% for most of this race. 10K is a tough distance because you have to go push so hard most of the way.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Guys, This information is all really interesting but I have to admit, it all seems way to hard to do (for me - at least).. Having never used a HRM, Im sure my comments are NOT valid, but it seems to me like if you just go for a run and enjoy it..running at a pace where you can think and talk to other people....and build up your miles to some reasonable amount...then do some speed work, tempo and hills, your 10K times will eventually get really good... Training based on HRM data all seems way to complicated.....and it 'seems' like it would really ruin the fun of running really quickly..... Again, I dont have one, but this is just what I 'think'..... Undecided Nader, I personally recommend you take the technology out of it all and just enjoy running and you will see plenty of improvement.....(I'm starting to feel like and old fart all set in my ways and not understanding all these new fangled gadgets)....but in reality I'm a Tech guy that thinks all this type of training takes away from running and spoils the fun...... Big grin Big grin Big grin. Pace for your race on Sat based on how you feel when you get to the starting line....sounds simple, but I'm guessing that if you are thinking about how you feel when running you will have better focus and will run pretty well.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Nader, I personally recommend you take the technology out of it all and just enjoy running and you will see plenty of improvement.... Pace for your race on Sat based on how you feel when you get to the starting line....sounds simple, but I'm guessing that if you are thinking about how you feel when running you will have better focus and will run pretty well.....
                    I agree with this statement. Although I gave my best possible answer to the OP's question, I probably should have made it more clear that it's not they way I would race or want to race. But everyone has to discover their own path when it comes to these things.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

One of the (many) very good racers here said something along the lines of: For a 10K...run hard until you feel like you're going to puke, then back it off a bit and hold it there to the end.
                      Personally, I wouldn't recommend this. The most common mistake made in racing 10ks is going out too fast. No 10k is won in the first mile, but many are lost. If the first mile is run too fast, the second mile will slow down significantly. And the 3rd mile of a 10k usually mirrors the 2nd. It's a bad deal, all the way around if you start out too hard. Perhaps the person meant it figuratively, but this is a long enough race that you can recover and build upon a slower 1st mile. This is one of the reasons why I think 10k is such a hard distance. Even if you blast out of the gates in a 5k and crash/burn, you don't have to suffer for too long. And ≥15k are seen as "distance" races, so the mindset out of the gate is different. If you go at at 5k or faster at the beginning of a 10k, the 10k will gleefully crush you and make you suffer.

Dave

Running with and certainly racing with a heart monitor is not for everyone. And even though I ran with it and captured the information, I never adjusted my pace based on it during the race I mentioned. Monitors can give you confirmation of what you probably felt anyway. On days when my HR is elevated, I generally don't feel that great during the run and it encourages me to slow down and take it easier. On hard days when I really want to be pushing my body, it lets me know if I'm sandbagging and encourages me to push it a bit. As far as racing with it, I think it is only relevant once you have a good bit of experience on how your body reacts during training. Even then, your heart rate can do strange things on race day with all the adrenaline and excitement. Otherwise, I agree with other posters that you should leave it at home or ignore it entirely.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

rlemert

I have never been good at setting an appropriate initial pace for my races, although I'm improving (the race I mentioned earlier in this thread is probably the best I've ever done in this area). An HRM helps me avoid this problem. It also helps me recognize when I'm sand-bagging it and need to pick it up a little - like I was doing on the slightly down-hill stretch of that race above. Also, the numbers I use are the result of about three year's worth of races, recognizing what works for me in the race and what doesn't. I certainly don't let the HRM "dictate" my run. In fact, during my race last weekend I typically only looked at it when I thought I should be coming upon another mile split (if they were marked, I never saw them Angry ). It's a tool just like any other, and like any other it can be used or abused.
                            One of the (many) very good racers here said something along the lines of: For a 10K...run hard until you feel like you're going to puke, then back it off a bit and hold it there to the end.
                            I think this might be good advice for a really seasoned runner with a number of 10K up to 30K under his/her belt already. But a relatively new runner in only the second 10K ought to follow the standard approach.....Go out and get comfortable for the first mile or two...get thru mile three and then try to run negative splits (or run the second 3 miles a little faster then the first 3 miles)..... But dont think about it too much...just do it....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Future running partner.

I've used a HR monitor almost obsessively over the summer, in training. But for races, I wear one but I don't look at it. For a 10k, for the best strategy I have found is to start out running fast but comfortably. Your adrenalin will allow you to run faster than what you feel. After 2 or 3 miles you'll know if you can keep it up for the remainder of the run. If not, just back off a little. The last mile will get fast anyway because you'll know your almost done. As you race more and more you'll know how to pace your self better. I don't normally like using the HR to pace because HR is usually naturally much higher on race day then normal. I just use it for data, to compare one performance to another. It also helps you get a pretty good idea of where your LT HR is.

Member Since 2008

Nader, keep one thing in mind, your heart rate will be higher due to adrenaline because of the race. Just go out and have fun. If your eyeballing the HRM constantly during the race, your not running as fast as you can. Just my .02 cents.