Anyone dislike Kayano 15s? (Read 1651 times)

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I wore a pair of Kayano 13s out and in the middle of wearing a pair of 14s out now. However, I don't like my 15s. I don't know if it is the different lacing system or something else. Anyone else have any thoughts on their 15s?

TRUST THE PROCESS

I found I didn't like the 15s as much as the (several) pairs of 14s I've worn.  Coincidentally, I visited a podiatrist this week who mentioned that Asics have significantly beefed up the stability (i.e. the amount of structure in the shoe to prevent overpronation) on the 15s - they're a sufficiently different shoe that she doesn't recommend them for people who've been wearing the 14.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Wow, that is really interesting. I thought it was just me. But EVERY TIME I wear my 15s I get sore feet, legs, etc... I can wear my older 14s or my PIs and run the same course/distance and feel just fine. It was after a run on 5/24 that I really noticed it (which prompted the post) because I went out feeling fresh in mind and body and only ended up running far less than half of my distance goal. It is pretty disappointing because, as we all know, Kayanos aren't cheap..... 

TRUST THE PROCESS

This is interesting information.  I have liked all the Kayanos, and used them as a "beefy" shoe when I wanted support and a lot under my feet.  However, I have concluded that it is simply too much shoe for me. I am a pretty neutral, light runner, and the Kayano is overkill.  The 15 just hasn't been my "go to" shoe. Oh well.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I have super flat feet and pronate, so I need a little support. But the 15 just doesn't feel good. I think it is a little too much.

TRUST THE PROCESS

My prewash:)

I thought I was crazy or something too.  I had worn out a pair of 12's that I found on clearance and thought okay I have finally found a shoe that I can run in.  I bought the 14's and then immediately had ITband problems that were horrible in my right knee.  I started running in my saucony fastwitch 2's. After much stretching and massaging, I can now run without pain in my knee.

I resorted to using the 14's for my studio shoes when I teach at the Y and they seem fine for that.  They have too much support for me to run in though.

"Carpe Diem"

ymmv

I have high arches. I have not noticed much difference between the Kayano 14s and 15s. I retired my 13s after 300 miles and they felt used up. I loved the 14s, but only after they stopped trying to wear a groove in my ankle. I put 400 miles each on 3 pair of 14s and I can't really say they are tapped out. My 15s feel about the same to me as the 14s. I had already gotten used to the offset laces with a pair of Nimbus 10s that I still wear. The Nimbus 10s gave me the sliiiightest twinge in one achilles tendon at first, so I never took them on really long runs. I am also trying out DS Trainers, and I liked racing in the Gel Landreth 4.

I am approaching 300 in the 15s and could swear that they're failing me already. The off-centered lacing is weird for sure. 

I may have to get my next pair now, in order to have them broken in 10 days for a race.  I think I may get another Mizuno Wave Nirvana as my "beefy" shoe.  I am not sure I am ready to go 26.2 in my Inspires, as much as I love them. 

Anyone switch from Kayanos to something else and end up happy?

nickp,

Did you go back to 14s?

Kerry1976,

I, too, developed lower leg soreness since starting to wear these.  No way to now if they are the exact cause, but it is curious.

gottatri,

The 14s were doing the same to my ankles, too (at least at first).  This might make it tough to get a new pair and have it ready in 10 days.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I like the Adidas Supernova Sequence 2. Also like Nike LunarGlide.

After my experience with the 15s, I'm not wanting to try Kayanos again. They are too expensive to not work.

TRUST THE PROCESS

I like the Adidas Supernova Sequence 2. Also like Nike LunarGlide.

After my experience with the 15s, I'm not wanting to try Kayanos again. They are too expensive to not work.

Thanks, Kerry.

Looks like the LunarGlide provides stability without bulk.  

http://www.runnersworld.com/video/1,8052,s6-4-0-4,00.html?bcpid=2891005001&bclid=31443562001&bctid=30305381001

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Yeah, the LunarGlides do the trick for me. I do my long runs in my LunarGlides and they are great shoes for me. I also like that they are not nearly as expensive as the Kayanos.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Yep too much shoe for me!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I'm wondering if that's what's setting off the nagging tendonitis.  I've been wearing Kayano 15's.  I'm pretty big (195 pounds) and need a cushioned shoe.  They don't feel like they used to, especially at $120/pop or whatever they were with shipping - I wear a size 15 and I haven't bought shoes at the store in years.

I don't know my stride style (honestly never paid attention) - I will wear out the outsides first. 

I miss the Gel MC's Asics used to have.  They were great shoes.  When I was in high school I got over 1500 miles out of a pair.

Any other recommendations?

I'm wondering if that's what's setting off the nagging tendonitis.  I've been wearing Kayano 15's. 

I am sorry to tell you that it may very well be.  Since I started wearing them, I developed a tightness in my left calf (and a funny feeling in my left Achilles'),  which seems to go away at about mile 3 and return 30 minutes or so after the run. 

I am surprised that they are also creating issues with bigger, stronger people like you.  That off-centered lacing gimmic...

After a long relationship with Asics, I have decided that we need to see other people.

tomatolover

this is exactly the thread i needed to read today.. i've put on  280+miles on my kayano 15's, though have been having nagging issues with my ankles and achilles (without putting on any additional weekly miles).  I thought it was just me and I keep thinking that I haven't put nearly enough miles on my shoes to get the nagging soreness I feel when my shoes need to be replaced....you all just cinched it for me- i gotta get myself some new shoes...