Spirit of the Marathon (Read 648 times)

Just came home from seeing this with zoom zoom. Amazing! Simply put, amazing! I was actually nervous at the starting line. I was tense for the last .75mi. I was emotional at the finish line. I've been sure since May 2006 after my first 25K that I wanted to run a marathon. Now I'm inspired, driven, to run my first marathon. Here's to my (hopefully) first year of injury free running!! What did you all think of Spirit???? Eryn
    So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Awesome...it was so well done. I wanted them all to do so well (except for the whiney guy, but I was even happy at the end to see that he had BQd with his wife). Loved the bits of humor, too. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Awesome...it was so well done. I wanted them all to do so well (except for the whiney guy, but I was even happy at the end to see that he had BQd with his wife). Loved the bits of humor, too. Smile
        Please tell me that I was not that whiney while sitting the bench for most of 2007?? But the old guy & his daughter were funny!! A talking addict that happens to run marathons.. *snerk*
          (I posted the following over in the general running thread on the subject who got their tix. Moving to here.) So what did we think of Spirit? Quick observation: Jerry = older Christopher Walken. I think he clearly had the most fun. I teared up. So did the wife, who is now thinking maybe she will do a second marathon. She just put on her Dublin Marathon finisher medal. Felt sad for the Kenyan (I'm terrible with names.) My wife could identify with Lori, because when she told her mom she was running a marathon, also said, are you going to win? Some non runners have no idea. (Related pet peeve: You say you are running race X Y or Z, marathon or not, and some non runner says, "Oh, my _____ ran a 5 mile marathon." NO, they ran a 5 mile race!) Go Deena! Go everyone in that movie! I will run faster tomorrow for seeing this. It was awesome. I wonder why this movie isn't getting a broader "run."
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

(I posted the following over in the general running thread on the subject who got their tix. Moving to here.) So what did we think of Spirit? Quick observation: Jerry = older Christopher Walken. I think he clearly had the most fun. I teared up. So did the wife, who is now thinking maybe she will do a second marathon. She just put on her Dublin Marathon finisher medal. Felt sad for the Kenyan (I'm terrible with names.) My wife could identify with Lori, because when she told her mom she was running a marathon, also said, are you going to win? Some non runners have no idea. (Related pet peeve: You say you are running race X Y or Z, marathon or not, and some non runner says, "Oh, my _____ ran a 5 mile marathon." NO, they ran a 5 mile race!) Go Deena! Go everyone in that movie! I will run faster tomorrow for seeing this. It was awesome. I wonder why this movie isn't getting a broader "run."
            Ditto ALL of that! And I want that pool/treadmill thing that Deena was running on--that is WAY cool!

~ Sarah Kay

Ditto ALL of that! And I want that pool/treadmill thing that Deena was running on--that is WAY cool!
              Yeah, no weather issues with that. And didn't you like when what appeared to be a BOX of boxes of shoes arrived for her?
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And didn't you like when what appeared to be a BOX of boxes of shoes arrived for her?
                Heh, well I DID come into 2 pair of shoes within a week of each other, but different models for rotation. And one pair is going up on eBay because they don't play nice with my left heel.

~ Sarah Kay

There was so much in that movie to relate to. The aforementioned, of course. Also, the girl talking about the time involved in training & her daughter wanting her to be home. This holds true for running in general, not just marathon training. I'm sometimes guilted (more my own self-guilt than my family) out of runs because of needed family time or getting things done. And I loved the sign someone was holding up on the Chicago course: "You're all crazy" We've all heard that before!

Another Passion

I thought it was well done and I like how it captured the essence of what the marathon means to an average person like myself in the non-ultra individuals it featured. My favorite part in the movie was in the middle of the race, there were some spectators on the side that had a sign that said, "You're our hero Dad! We love you!" I lost it when I saw that. Cry

Rick
                    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                    "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                    runningforcassy.blogspot.com

I'd have to agree with pretty much everything that everyone's said about the movie... except for maybe the part about the guy whining about his injury. I felt kinda bad for him because I can definitely relate. That poor Kenyan keeps getting shafted year after year. I think he needs to work on more speedwork so he can have a stronger finishing kick! The thing that impressed me the most about the movie was how it took the various real-life challenges that a marathon poses on people of all different levels and it got you so into everyone's story (i.e. their hard work and dedication) that you were literally cheering for each of them during the race. The soundtrack was excellent as well! Big grin

...---...

We really enjoyed the film. Hope it comes to DVD. My wife, non-runner, even said this was so inspiring it made her wish she was a runner.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

...---...

... there were some spectators on the side that had a sign that said, "You're our hero Dad! We love you!" I lost it when I saw that. Cry
                          That was moving. There was another sign that read, "You're all Crazy" - my wife nudged me in the ribs and with a playful smile, whispered "Indeed."

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

It was awesome. I wonder why this movie isn't getting a broader "run."
                            This doth sucketh. Missed it, so I'll have to pray it hits Netflix someday. Cry

E.J.
                            Greater Lowell Road Runners
                            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Did anyone stick around after the show for the Q&A thing they advertised before the movie? I had never been to a "Fathom Event" type of movie, and was wondering if they were doing it live from somewhere because most of the other events they were advertising were live things. Anyone?
                                I liked identifying aspects of my own goals and methods in the various runners. I always forget names, but I identified with the woman who liked to train alone... I never run with people. I shared the BQ goal with the injured whiny guy and definitely sympathized when he realized he wasn't going to be running the race. The movie was really good. It really let you feel what they were going through at each phase of the movie. I admired the people who were working really hard to finish or get a win. I felt the sense of enjoyment that the older guy got to just be a part of it all, with no real worries about any goal. I got the sense that his daughter wasn't thrilled to have the whole thing filmed though. The shot of the starting line was amazing... I've never been to a race with more than 5500 people.

-------------------------------------
                                5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                                10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                                1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                                Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07