Define: food (Read 975 times)

flatland mountaineer

I am honestly interested in your thoughts, when/if you find the time or inclination.
    I'll try and give it a shot maybe a bit at a time as we are supposedly in harvest, but weather not cooperating. I don't have a problem with the general concept but sometimes the writer loses me when he spurts out some comment any 13 year old farm boy would call him on. Twenty years ago most everyone knew someone on a farm or had vivid memories of tales told by farming grandparents, that connection is gone. Misperceptions abound, some view us as hicks and to some we are nameless corporate beasts. With crude closing at 16 month lows today and grains getting relatively cheap again, corn now has a 3 in front of it, the world has definitely changed and the base for his premise from the time I would guess the article was written (not published). More later.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thanks. I think the increased distance from the farm is a real problem. People lose respect for meat when it comes from a grocery freezer rather than from the animal up the dirt road. It is easy to throw away wilted broccoli when it comes in huge stacks in the produce aisle rather than from the hands of the farmer who grew it. When you know whence comes your food, it makes eating so much more real. And it honors the farmers (and their animals) that produce it.

#artbydmcbride

I gained a lot of respect for farmers just trying to grow my own backyard beans and tomatoes. Smile

Runners run

I gained a lot of respect for farmers just trying to grow my own backyard beans and tomatoes. Smile
          I think we will be planting a backyard garden this spring. I've never grown anything, except for fat. Should be interesting.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Prince of Fatness

Yeah, you said it. This year I was busy and I think the weeds did better than the veggies. No problem with the potatoes, as they are an early crop so I dug them up before the weeds took hold. I have some pumpkins to harvest this weekend then that's it for the garden this year.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Will you eat the pumpkins?

Prince of Fatness

Will you eat the pumpkins?
                Probably not. We generally just use them for fall decor out in the front porch area. After a while I just chuck them into the compost bin.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Probably not. We generally just use them for fall decor out in the front porch area. After a while I just chuck them into the compost bin.
                  Use them as decor. Once you are done, cook em down. Cut them in half, scoop out the seeds (roast them). bake at 500 for about an hour. Then scoop out the flesh with your hands. It makes great pies, breads, pasta, soups, etc.

Prince of Fatness

I hear you .... just that there are no pumpkin eaters in the house. Personally I don't even like the pumpkin ales that are out now, and I'll drink pretty much any beer you put in front of me. I suppose I could ask my neighbors if they want them. Worst case I chop them up and compost them. I throw a bunch of stuff in the compost bin. I probably get 2 - 3 yards of finished compost a year. It all goes back to the garden.

Not at it at all. 

Why is it sideways?

Hippie.
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Pumpkin ales make both beer and pumpkins stupider. What a waste of beer and squash. You don't like pumpkins cuz you have never had something made properly out of fresh pumpkins. I guarantee. Try it.

Prince of Fatness

You don't like pumpkins cuz you have never had something made properly out of fresh pumpkins. I guarantee. Try it.
                          I've tried pumpkin pie made from fresh pumpkins and didn't like it. I'm a very fussy eater, unfortunately. It's meat and, you guessed it, potatoes for me. Oh, and beer. Roasted seeds are a possibility, though.

Not at it at all. 

Roasted seeds are a possibility, though.
                            YUMMMMMM...... with lots of salt and chili powder and Cumin..... Way good! Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Make your mashed potatoes with the roasted pumpkin mixed in. And lots of butter. Just sayin.
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've tried pumpkin pie made from fresh pumpkins and didn't like it. I'm a very fussy eater, unfortunately. It's meat and, you guessed it, potatoes for me. Oh, and beer. Roasted seeds are a possibility, though.
                                I don't like pumpkin pie for the texture, I think...I love pumpkin in bread, cake, and soup, just not mealy pie. Seeds are awesome, though. I like to roast them in butter and a little soy sauce. Good eats! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay