Bike Lust (Read 1697 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I could and would get into biking except for one thing. When you run, you know you have to put out a certain amount of effort. There is just no way around it, you will breathe hard and sweat. With biking, I would probably get lazy and just peddle along at a leisurely pace and not accomplish much in regard to fitness training. I don't have the discipline to bike hard, I could see myself biking at not a very much faster pace than I'm running.
    I don't think I'd have a hard time with biking hard, but I might have a harder time with getting miles in...though maybe not. If I did a big charity ride every year (hubby does a 100+ mile JDRF benefit ride each year...usually involves riding up a mountain) I'd have that incentive to be in shape.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Life is Good

I recently started riding my bike again, because I was training for this triathlon, I was a bike patrol cop for about 3 years and I loved it..but it was alot of long slow distance on a mountain bike. I can honestly say that I like running a little better than riding my mountain bike for a long distance..but while i trained for this tri I used my hubby's Hybrid..OMG! faster and much difference in the way it rides. I would cross train more with the bike/ run stuff if I had a very good road or hybrid bike ( unfortunately they cost about $700.00 to $1,000.00 ) as I rode in the tri this past weekend I too had Bike lust! Tongue oh yeah if you have never been in a triathlon..give it a try..I seriously had the most fun I have had in a long time...it might change your mind about riding too...give you something to work for.

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

finish a half Ironman triathlon

Warrior dash 2012

Chickamauga battlefield half 2012

and a few small races in between

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Except for the swimming part a tri sounds fun! I'd kill to find a duathlon here. There is one near us, but it's actually mountain biking and trail running, I think. If I'm gonna sink a chunk of money on a bike I'd rather it be for a road bike. And my current "mountain" bike is really not fit for much off-roading, anyhow.

~ Sarah Kay

Queen of 3rd Place

I did a "sprint" tri a couple years ago, 400 yard swim, 6 mile bike, 2 mile run, I thought, "no biggie, I swim well", HA!, even that lousy 400 m of swimming was hell! Mind you the only swimming I had done was splashing around in my teensy backyard pool - but still - it was a shocker to realize how freakin' LONG an Olympic pool is. Sooo...what bikes are you looking at? I'm not in the market, but this girl enjoys vicarious shopping, too. Evil grin Arla

Ex runner

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sooo...what bikes are you looking at? I'm not in the market, but this girl enjoys vicarious shopping, too. Evil grin Arla
            Oh, nothing at the moment. When I do look I'm guessing it will be something like a touring bike in the $1k-1500 range. Something with decent components and an aluminum frame, most likely.

~ Sarah Kay

Queen of 3rd Place

Touring? Really ...why? I'm surprised, figured you'd go for road. Confused Arla

Ex runner

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Touring? Really ...why? I'm surprised, figured you'd go for road. Confused Arla
                Touring's probably not the right term...recreational/enthusiast. Road bike, but not a race or tri bike. Just an all-purpose road suitable for long rides. Something along the lines of my hubby's Specialized Roubaix Pro, but not at that price point...at least not for a first road bike. DS will probably want a race bike right off the bat, though--crazy boy. Specialized makes a junior scale version of their Allez bike. That's the sort of thing I imagine him on in 2-3 years at the rate he's going. He wants to be the next Lance Armstrong. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Queen of 3rd Place

Hmmm...$pecialized, ...I really was impressed with Giant - good bang for the buck. You might want to check it out... I still have my old Ital-yun steel race bike, which back in the day (mid-80s) was the shiznit (full Dura-Ace!), now it's a good 5 lbs heavier than even a middle-of-the-road bike, and about 7 lbs heavier than the high-end bikes. Sad Still works like new, that Dura-Ace stuff is tough! But....ah, the lovely new bicycles out there, and how the componentry has changed...I'd surely love to have a new road bike, but looking at the prices makes me choke on my pie. Dead Arla

Ex runner

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...$pecialized, ...I really was impressed with Giant - good bang for the buck. You might want to check it out... I still have my old Ital-yun steel race bike, which back in the day (mid-80s) was the shiznit (full Dura-Ace!), now it's a good 5 lbs heavier than even a middle-of-the-road bike, and about 7 lbs heavier than the high-end bikes. Sad Still works like new, that Dura-Ace stuff is tough! But....ah, the lovely new bicycles out there, and how the componentry has changed...I'd surely love to have a new road bike, but looking at the prices makes me choke on my pie. Dead Arla
                    Oh, yeah...even did's "baby" is relatively cheap compared to stuff out there. Heh, and he is a total Dura-Ace ho. He salivates all over that stuff. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

fxdgear

Oh, yeah...even did's "baby" is relatively cheap compared to stuff out there. Heh, and he is a total Dura-Ace ho. He salivates all over that stuff. Tongue
                      Dura -ass..er ace meh RECORD Tongue

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

Dura -ass..er ace meh RECORD Tongue
                        I don't like their shifters - don't like the thumb levers. From most grip positions I'd have to move my hand to shift. Never have to do that with Shimano. I also prefer the big knobs on the Shimano 10 speed shifters - like having a set of cowhorn bars. It's interesting that Campy has apparently decided that as well; the new 11 speed shifters have big ol' knobs on 'em. The 11 speed stuff from Campy? Meh. I'm thinking the upcoming electronic shifting from Shimano will ultimately get more traction in the marketplace. And if it doesn't, Shimano has been experimenting with 14 speed systems for some time... did

kcam

What is that? DH is already trying to talk me into eventually doing a bike across MI. I'm like "dude, I need a proper road bike, first, and a few century rides under my belt...then we can talk." Wink
                          Y'all oughtta check out the Michigander. It's not a race and you can go at whatever pace you want. I did that one with my dad and sister a few years ago - it was probably one of the best, most relaxing vacations I ever had. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Oh, it's billed as a 'mountain bike' tour but I'd say 90% of the ride is asphalt and the little bit that is on dirt could have been done with a road bike (at least the year I did it). http://www.michigantrails.org/michigander/
                          Mishka-old log

I have 2 road bikes on Shimano and 1 on Campy (Chorus). I wanted to try the Campy because I liked the feel of the grip. After a few thousand miles, I prefer the grips the Shimano stuff has to offer. I think the Chorus is a cleaner shift though (vs. Ultegra).
                              while i trained for this tri I used my hubby's Hybrid..OMG! faster and much difference in the way it rides. I would cross train more with the bike/ run stuff if I had a very good road or hybrid bike ( unfortunately they cost about $700.00 to $1,000.00 ) as I rode in the tri this past weekend I too had Bike lust! .
                              Check out a bike swap or the classifieds. I got an old (like 80's old) steel road bike for $40, but it's still much lighter and faster than all but the more expensive hybrids. It's no modern race bike, but unless you're racing against people who have them and intending to win, what's the point?
                              redleaf

This was fun to read - my DH went a little overboard when I asked for a bike (along the lines of "had one made" instead of "bought me one") and now I have more bike than I can handle. I haven't been on a bike in years and, while our city does have programs to teach you to ride in traffic etc, they are already over for the year! It's only July! Sigh. I'm going to borrow my SIL's old beater though and take a "adult learn to ride." I'll see how that goes. I'm hoping to pick up a book on the basics - changing tires, what the heck all the gears do etc. Do any of you have any recommendations? thanks

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362