Replacing running with cross training. (Read 393 times)

Ok I understand this can be a soar topic but hear me out. Lately I have been feeling burned out. I haven't upped my mileage and my workouts are very moderate. I don't have any major injuries or anything, I just don't feel like I'm actually recovering during so called "easy runs". Even extremely slow paces and short distances seem to give me that dead leg feeling. When I approach workouts I feel they could probably go much better if my legs were fresh. I was thinking. What is the importance of a so called "recovery run" ? Being that the intensity is so low I can not see it being much of an aerobic benefit. Lately I have been feeling like these runs are just doing more harm than good. Historically I am very susceptible to impact type injures and being out plodding around for 30-45 minutes almost seems pointless. Slow running kills my shins and I'm constantly strugging with shin splints. Now, as I understand it the idea of easy runs is to boost your aerobic capacity. So with that in mind wouldn't doing something like the elliptical trainer on easy days(like 3 days per week)at aerobic efforts achieve this? I mean as opposed to being out jogging for 30-45 minutes I could possible spend 60 minutes or more on the elliptical without a problem. I mean the only reason I even need recovery from hard workouts is because the pounding associated with running. I am young and have no problem handling high aerobic efforts day after day, thats never the problem. With cross training I could actually get in more overall time spent at aerobic efforts and still be in fresh shape for my running workouts. Thoughts?
    PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?
      I love my elliptical, not as much as running, but still. Recovery runs also work well for me. A recovery workout on the elliptical may be close to if not just as good as running, and it is most certainly better than nothing. It still gets the blood pumping, helps to remove lactates from muscles, and gives you some cardiovascular benefit. Ellipt till your hearts content, and enjoy.
        Sure, why not? Many plans include at least one day cross training for active recovery. You're right: the main purpose of recovery sessions is to loosen up the muscles, get the blood flowing, and better prepare yourself for the next workout. I think it partly depends on your goals, your mileage and your body. If you are training to race a marathon and are going for mid to high mileage then maybe you want much of your recovery sessions to be running. But if mileage is not so important then go for the cross training, especially if it is easier on your body. Listening to your body is key and how you recover is very individual. I have found that for me a recovery run usually prepares me best for a run the next day. But then I sometimes find that time on the bike or elliptical, or a really nice walk, really hits the spot. I'm sure other people are very different.
        Next goal: Great Wall Marathon

Tiefsa

Most runners are reluctant to cross train because they like running so much. If you like doing the elliptical or something else instead of a run, do it.