The Muscle Factor Model (Read 3142 times)

I have not heard of Running Times - I will have to Google it.

It's like High Times, except it's about running instead of getting high.

It used to be better, but it resembles Running World more and more every month.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Clearly the bump is meant in the spirit of "I told you so" and "I want you to think I'm smarter because I wrote about it before too many other people did."

Ignoring that, I have to give Rich credit. His powerrunning site offers a lot of information without making you buy a book or pay for a training plan. It may be true that he wants credit when he can get it, but I can't say the guy isn't trying to contribute to the running community's knowledge base. We just have to hope that it's mostly good information coming out on a consistent basis.

That's a joke right?  Good one.  Next time, please use a smiley lest we be deceived into thinking someone's actually buying Rich's blowhard bag of snakeoil. 

xor

Today's word: AMAZING.

Prince of Fatness

Today's word: AMAZING.

You should have just posted this....

Not at it at all. 

xor

hahaha.  You know I have that one on my quick list!

Man, I spent extra time finding an AMAZING one.

But you're right.

Stop. Don't.  I really wouldn't.

Prince of Fatness

That's one of my favorites, and I've seen it posted on many occasions.  I laugh every time.

Not at it at all. 

Rich_

I enjoyed the article, and think Tom Schwartz really knows his stuff...

For those who haven't read the Running Times article yet, the author liberally cites Tom Schwartz, indicating he is the source of the information.  Mr Schwartz is well known and respected on running forums as Tinman and has long been a proponent of the cardiovascular/anaerobic model of endurance performance and, if my memory is correct, Lydiard-style base building.

Rich World's Fastest Slow Runner

Thanks to Rich for bumping this thread.  I'm off for vacation next week.  While I'd planned to accompany my family to the beach, I've decided to stay home and read the tomes Rich posted.  Hopefully, I can totally revamp my training to include things like long runs, tempo workouts, and maybe even some faster running.

I get Running Times -- which issue is this article in?  (You can just identify it by describing the lame cover.  If the answer is "hottie", you'll have to be more specific; I have low standards.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Rich_

"...multi-page article in the newest issueof Running Times magazine titled "Recruite Every Fiber" (Sep 2010 issue, page 54-59)..."
                    Rich World's Fastest Slow Runner
                    xor

Another amazing fact: fiber helps you poop.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Coffe has no fiber, but has the same effect...magic!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

There are also three roasts of coffee: light, medium, and dark.  Coincidence?

Some coffee beans are known as "peaberries" because they only have one lobe instead of two.  Peaberry coffee does not help you pee any more than regular coffee.

Amazing!!!! It's the Fiber Factor Model!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

SoCal Pete

Glad at least a couple of you liked the article!  While I certainly did pick Tom Schwartz for my "expert" in the article due to his tremendous knowledge of exercise science, I've been using workouts geared to muscle fiber types going back at least a couple decades in my own coaching (and training).  In case some of you missed it on a different thread a couple months back, I've also done a video for Running Times on how to use hill workouts to get the most out of our muscle fibers.  You can view it here:

http://wpblogs.runningtimes.com/blogs/performancepodcasts/?p=166

Please realize that my RT videos are written, filmed, and edited in a day - so forgive the amateur production values.  But I think there's still some good info in it.

FYI - Seb Coe was targeting muscle fiber in his training back in the late '70s/early '80s.  I know.  That's where I got the idea.  ;-)

Pete

Purdey

Self anointed title

"Understanding muscle fibers allows us to design workouts that target specific fiber types, train them at the correct intensity and for the proper duration, and ensure maximum adaptation."

Like.... do your recovery runs at a slow pace, do long runs at a moderate pace, do medium/tempo runs a bit faster and do shorter repeats much faster.  Do I really need a better understanding of muscle fibres to achieve this?

Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard.

There is nothing more to it people.  Nothing.