The Muscle Factor Model (Read 3142 times)

Feeling the growl again

You have to give him credit for attracting the big guns.

Average stupidity doesn't arouse much interest.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Rich_

I could refute the rest of your drivel at will, and have before...

That's bold talk for a one-eyed fat man.

Refute away.  I've got a $1 for you if you can support your refutation with any credible, valid research data.

Rich World's Fastest Slow Runner
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh jeebus. Two of them in the same thread again....

Don't make me start with the smilies. I am a mean mother when it comes to smiles. And lolcats.

This one is nice

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You two, Rich and Spaniel, need to take this argument outside!

One-eyed fat man? For real???

xor

One eyed fat man.

That's what she said.

Feeling the growl again

That's bold talk for a one-eyed fat man.

Refute away.  I've got a $1 for you if you can support your refutation with any credible, valid research data.

You are one certifiable piece of work, aren't you?  When was the last time you ran a race at my easy run pace?  Time to go back on the meds, pal.

You've admitted before, all your glorious work has done has gotten ONE runner to a 10:30 2-mile something any half decent high schooler can do with any consistent training, whether intelligent or not.   If you like you can post your "research" and I'll thrash you again, cut-and-paste is easy.  

You have not the background to interpret what you read, nor the experience to speak from experience, nor any credentials or having coached anyone to anything.  All you have is a penchant for making a public fool of yourself.

What was Jeff's term for people too ignorant to understand the depths of their ignorance?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

What was Jeff's term for people too ignorant to understand the depths of their ignorance?

"Philosophers".  Or "Trent".  I'm not sure.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

SoCal Pete

Wow, sounds like this thread needs some beer.  ;-)

Seriously, there's lots of stuff that goes into making good runners good runners, great runners great runners, and sucky runners sucky runners.

This article with Tom was just a look at one aspect of the puzzle.  That's what articles are.  They have a word limit, and that limit puts the kibosh on outlining a unified theory of all aspects of training.  Instead, it's just another log on the fire.  You pick one thing (and just one) and try to explain it in a way that has some benefit for your audience.  It's not a thesis.  It's not a new theory.  It's not supposed to change the course of running.  It's just something to think about, something add to what we already knew (or thought we knew) about running.  Maybe we can utilize it in some aspect of our training.  Maybe we can't.

Here's the truth: there are a whole lot of places we can start when describing the physiological impact of training (whether with muscles or hormones - like in my next article - or with the cardiovascular system or the brain or with the nerves themselves that innervate the muscle fibers), and you know what?  They all pretty much lead to the same conclusions on the best kind of training program.

I'm going to add my favorite quote about training here before signing off.  It's from Bob Hodge (Hodgie-San), and it goes: "Everything we need to know about training was discovered many years ago through the ultimate science: trial and error.  The exercise physiologists merely explain (perhaps correctly, perhaps not) why they think these methods work, and many write books suggesting they themselves invented the best methods."

There's no workout I do today (or give to athletes I coach) that I didn't run myself or assign to my high school athletes a quarter century ago.  But I like to think that a little knowledge (and not nearly as much as Tom S. or some others) has allowed me to do those workouts more effectively - at a more reliable effort, at the right point in my training, with better results, and with greater confidence.

Okay, I thank my lucky stars every day that I have the running community (i.e.--you and other runners like you) to train with, to argue with over training, to race alongside and against, and to cherish as we share this running path.

Oh, and for you oldsters, here's a link to my online masters column at Running Times (that came out today):

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=20378

You young speedy ones chomping at the bit probably won't find much to feast on there.  But we oldsters have to be a little more careful (realistic?) with our training.

Pete

Purdey

Self anointed title

This thread delivers.  Big time.

Pete Magill posts some awesome stuff.

Tinman posts some awesome stuff.

Spainel posts some awesome stuff.

And we have Rich here too.

Wonderful.

Can someone get Pfitz to come and add to the body of knowledge please?

dennrunner

Can someone get Pfitz to come and add to the body of knowledge please?

And while we're at it, someone might as well get Jack and Greg.  Ah, heck, might as well get Bob and Malmo and Bill and Frank and maybe even Benji and Alberto for some extra experience.  Maybe Richard really is a big draw?

Purdey

Self anointed title

Maybe Richard really is a big drag?

Prince of Fatness

Wow.

Not at it at all. 

Rich_

blah blah blah insult blah blah blah insult.

Let's see...nope, not a single refute to be found anywhwere.

You weren't just running your mouth about the refutes were you?

Rich World's Fastest Slow Runner
                            Purdey

Self anointed title

Rich - I could say the same about you I'm afraid.  You provide very little evidence of how your "ideas" have trained top class athletes.  You do not even talk about your own achievements in running.

Feeling the growl again

Here's the truth: there are a whole lot of places we can start when describing the physiological impact of training (whether with muscles or hormones - like in my next article - or with the cardiovascular system or the brain or with the nerves themselves that innervate the muscle fibers), and you know what?  They all pretty much lead to the same conclusions on the best kind of training program.

I'm going to add my favorite quote about training here before signing off.  It's from Bob Hodge (Hodgie-San), and it goes: "Everything we need to know about training was discovered many years ago through the ultimate science: trial and error.  The exercise physiologists merely explain (perhaps correctly, perhaps not) why they think these methods work, and many write books suggesting they themselves invented the best methods."

Pete

Nice to have some intelligence around a trainwreck thread.  Excellent post Pete.