The Muscle Factor Model (Read 3142 times)

Rich, she wasn't asking for your "opinion."
    Rich_

This thread makes my head spin on several levels.  And that's without even reading most of the content, just looking at who has posted and when.

I mean of all the threads in the world to have Pete and Tinman drop into it has to be a 2-year old Rich_ thread that he just bumped?

If that makes your head spin then it will probably explode when you figure out that Pete, Tinman and I all share very similar views about muscle fibers and the utility of training them.

Rich World's Fastest Slow Runner
      xor

Oh now.  Just because you have lots of the same views as two accomplished runners/writers/coaches does not mean that you hang out with them or that they are utilizing stuff you've come up with. 

Excuse me, Obama is calling.  He wants to know where we're eating lunch.

mikeymike

If that makes your head spin then it will probably explode when you figure out that Pete, Tinman and I all share very similar views about muscle fibers and the utility of training them.

Whoa!!  Do you all three also believe that water is wet?  Get out!  Your like three peas in a pod.

Runners run

xor

An exploding pod.

An exploding pod.

We have pod people here at RA? This is a totally awesome thing to learn!

What, you mean that you're not revolutionary?  Of course not.  As Nobby observed about Pete's article "That's Lydiard." 

Jog and ponder.   

This thread makes my head spin on several levels.  And that's without even reading most of the content, just looking at who has posted and when.

I mean of all the threads in the world to have Pete and Tinman drop into it has to be a 2-year old Rich_ thread that he just bumped?

And now new people are beginning to "interact" with Rich_ again.

As they say on Monday Night Countdown, C'mon, man!

I'd suggest, if it makes your head spin too much, save yourself the trouble and don't read it.

I find some of the discussion from pete/tinman/etc is very interesting. I don't even bother to read the joke posts, because that would just be wasting my time.

xor

You're missing out.  The jokes are money.

(seriously, though, when Pete and Tinman drop by, that's cool.  We got Nobby.  And he shows up in normal threads too.)

cmon2,

1.  According to Dr. Daniels 65-70% VO2max corresponds to about 70-75% of max heart rate (Daniels Running Formula, page 51).  This level of intensity/effort is used for long and easy runs.

2.  You've brought up a very real issue.  Any particular physiological measure - heart rate, lactate, VO2, etc - is not an absolute of exercise stress.  Instead, people vary and any specific variable (VO2max for example) is just that - variable.  The stress imposed while running at 65% VO2max can and often will be very different in 2 different runners.  For this reason, a range is most often prescribed, as Pete did with his "65%-70% VO2max".

Personally, I find that RPE (rating of perceived exertion) to be the best method for each individual to determine exercise intensity and stress because it is completely personalized to each person (you know when you are at level 7, for example, no matter what your heart rate or blood lactate levels, or etc might be).

3.  People have widely varying genetics, so people respond differently to training.  Some respond well to endurance training, others not so much.  Think about the inborn muscle fiber differences between top sprinters and top marathon runners.  No amount of endurance training will ever make sprinters into good long distance runners because they don't have the genetic predisposition to be good long distance runners.  The factor most frequently pointed to is muscle fiber type, with sprinters have up to 90% fast fibers while marathoners have up to 80% slow fibers, but it goes deeper than that.  Physiologists don't know all the factors making up genetic response to any particular exercise, but we know people do vary greatly (as much as 250%) in their responses.

1. ah... that's the one that has me run verrrrrry slow. :P

2. RPE: I have a problem with RPE, that is that I find there is too many "hard" levels defined in it and too few "easy" levels. my RPE scaling would be very different. many levels of "easy" and only a few levels of "hard". so I'm unsure that if I'm talking about a hard or even more specifically, an easy RPE level it would be the same physiologically than someone else's would be.

3. I bet it goes deeper than that, how about people with fast twitchers but not the sprinter one (white) but the other one (red)...

You're missing out.  The jokes are money.

(seriously, though, when Pete and Tinman drop by, that's cool.  We got Nobby.  And he shows up in normal threads too.)

I mean, just too many jokes to read Smile and I don't even understand some of them as I don't visit this forum too often

anyway... I hope Pete will reply sometimes, I'm really curious.

Rich_

As Nobby observed about Pete's article "That's Lydiard." 

And since Pete's article and the muscle factor model are pretty much the same, it means I'm Lydiard.  Who would have ever figured?

Further it means anytime you attack the physiology I report on, you are attacking Lydiard.  And you know how poorly Nobby handles that.  The bottom line is if you attack me you are attacking Lydiard and Nobby will show you no mercy. 

Rich World's Fastest Slow Runner
                          xor

I think most people are attacking the way you interpret and "report on" the physiology, Richard.

Nope, not taking the bait.  I will say, though, that I have a new appreciation for Pete Magill. 
                              BeeRunB

Hey Rich, good to see you posting here at RA. I have enjoyed your posts and the
                                ensuing discussion back at Coolrunning. Whether your views are right on
                                or not, I always enjoy discussion about running & training theories and their
                                applications.  It's good to see you stirring it up!
                                So, welcome!

Keep going!

--Jimmy