Sore legs (Read 663 times)

Is it weird that just my legs are sore from the knee down and never from the knee up? Are the any exercises that i can do to prevent this? Or is my form just not good
    2009 Goals (nobody laugh) Run 800 miles or more Run 12 or more 5ks Run 2 10ks Get 5k times in 25's Run a 3 miler in 24:29 or less Run in HM in October

De-slacking in progress

Is it weird that just my legs are sore from the knee down and never from the knee up? Are the any exercises that i can do to prevent this? Or is my form just not good
      Yes

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

De-slacking in progress

ha- Mine get that way when I run too fast for my fitness level and also from running on the county roads. Flat trails/roads- no problems. Yes there are tons of exercises to "pump you up" as arnold would say. You can use the search feature here at RA for answers, or many other places. I'm no expert.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

No, it is not weird. From your log it looks like you just started running. Depending on what type of exercise you are used to will make the difference on where you will be sore. Normally when I am sore it is from doing too much too soon. You'll here many people on this site tell you to slow down. Listen to them. Doing too much too soon caused most of the injuries I have had and I suspect is the major cause of people not sticking to running.
            When you say you're sore from the knee down are you talking calves or shins (or both)? As others said, running too fast can put more stress on the lower parts of your legs. Poor shoes or form can also do the same thing. Or you may just not have developed the lower leg muscles as much as the upper leg muscles. Personally, I have issues with tight tight tight calves and shin splints as a result of poor body mechanics. But with that being said, I very rarely if ever get sore in the upper legs, I just think the muscles there are bigger and better developed than my lower legs.
            2009 Goals:
            PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
            Run a 10K
            Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
            Complete my first Sprint Tri