Disney Half? (Read 807 times)

peggya111

I was wondering if anyone has run the Disney World Half Marathon? Is it as much fun as the everyone says the Marathon is? Registration opens for the 2010 races January 12th. Any info or experiences would be great.
    Upcoming Races Disneyland Half AF Halloween Fun Run Disney World Half Ogden Marathon (I think...)

Gotta TRI

Sorry, no help here but.... I'm leaving tomorrow for Disney to run the Marathon. 1st ever. Yikes! will post next week with results.
      2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
      xor

I've done them both... the marathon is definitely better than the half because you get to visit all the parks. The half is merely an out-and-back between two of the parks. The bit through Magic Kingdom and the transportation center (lots of spectators) is great. Epcot is ok. The rest of the race is on a highway that could be just about anywhere. Seriously, only 3-4 miles are in those two parks. You will not see MGM (or whatever it is called now) or Animal Kingdom. The other 9-10 miles are pretty boring. It is very, very expensive, obviously. The race itself is high dollar, but that is peanuts compared to what you'll pay in travel costs unless you live nearby. That said, they do a good job with it and the Disney characters will show up randomly on the course. Lots of people will stop and take pictures. It is a very fun weekend, just not an over-the-top wonderful race. My tiny little avatar picture is from last year's marathon. If you are interested in some race reports that will give you a feel for race weekend, start here for my 2-part report about the 2008 races, or there for my report about the 2006 races. I kind of messed up in how I linked my 3-part 2007 report, the pieces can be found at one, two, and three.

I’ve run the marathon 6 times and Saturday will be my 2nd half marathon. I agree that the marathon experience is better than the half but the half is pretty cool too. Although Disney is expensive, they go all out. The start has a giant tv monitor and fireworks and the spectators around the magic kingdom (especially on main street) are hard to top. The parts of the race that are not in the parks really aren’t that bad. There is enough around that you feel like you are still in Disney.

Res firma mitescere nescit
          Running in Tampa

C-R

SR's reports are a great way to learn about the different runs so I would urge you to read those. As for me, 4 marathons and three half's at Disney. I like the full much better for reasons already stated - more parks, more scenery..... One kicker for me the obscene early start time (understandably so due to park operations) so if I'm going to be at the start area at 4am and two hours prior to the gun, give me the marathon experience over the half any day unless I'm doing the Goofy in which case its relative. Its a great race weekend regardless of which you select. MTA: There is a HM at Disneyland in CA also and DW offers a Minnie's Mini now on a different weekend (assuming your RA name is indicative of gender - if not, sorry) during the spring I beleive. Might be an alternative. Check Disney endurance web site.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

peggya111

Thank you all. Steve, your report is really helpful. Registration for 2010 starts Monday and I know they fill quickly. I can't even consider a marathon yet, so the half is really the only option for me right now. Based on your comments I am pretty sure I will go ahead and sign up - but this really helps manage expectations. Thanks!
              Upcoming Races Disneyland Half AF Halloween Fun Run Disney World Half Ogden Marathon (I think...)
                So I am also planning on 2010 (full marathon) but I have question on "support team members". I have read conflicting statements. Fodors "The Traveling marathoner" say guests with the runner can get into the park for free, as long as they stay in Magic Kingdom. Can anyone state what the actual ticket requirements are? Does the runner (me) require a park ticket, and does anyone going in with me (my wife) get in or require a ticket? I am also assuming that even if they get into Magic Kingdom they could not visit the other parks for photos without a "Hopper" pass. If a ticket is required in addition to the entry fees that makes it really steep, especially if I am to worn out to visit the park anymore that day.
                  Entrance to the Disney Parks is not included in the race entry fee. If your family wants to watch you run inside the parks they will still need to buy a ticket. There are plenty of places to watch outside of the parks though (including the start and finish).

Res firma mitescere nescit
                  Running in Tampa

Jill_B

I fly.

Entrance to the Disney Parks is not included in the race entry fee. If your family wants to watch you run inside the parks they will still need to buy a ticket. There are plenty of places to watch outside of the parks though (including the start and finish).
                    My father managed to find me at least 4 times when I ran the full plus the finish line.

Bring it on.

xor

So I am also planning on 2010 (full marathon) but I have question on "support team members". I have read conflicting statements. Fodors "The Traveling marathoner" say guests with the runner can get into the park for free, as long as they stay in Magic Kingdom. Can anyone state what the actual ticket requirements are? Does the runner (me) require a park ticket, and does anyone going in with me (my wife) get in or require a ticket? I am also assuming that even if they get into Magic Kingdom they could not visit the other parks for photos without a "Hopper" pass. If a ticket is required in addition to the entry fees that makes it really steep, especially if I am to worn out to visit the park anymore that day.
                      I am about to let my personal bias show through (some of you coolrunners know specifically why)... That Traveling Marathoner book is incorrect about a great many things. That said, Disney has fiddled with who can get where over the years, including developing extra $$$ passes to utilize sections of the grandstands at the finish. The right answer here is to email them and see what their rules will be for 2010.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Family wanting to get into the parks can also volunteer on the course...
                        xor

Family wanting to get into the parks can also volunteer on the course...
                          Yo. How was your race this morning??

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Loads of Maniacs out there! I had a good time, got a slow start from being badly boxed in with slower runners for some 6-10 miles, but then felt great and just picked up the pace the whole time (well, except when I stopped to take pictures with all the characters out there Smile). A beautiful morning too, with the full moon opposite the rising sun, and then slightly humid but cloudless and clear. A good time, albeit very very very different than the last marathon I ran, back in November.
                            xor

I rarely stop to talk or touch the disney characters (except for when Aladdin's girlfriend made eyes at me). Yet I stopped repeatedly at Monkey to touch the stuffed monkey that Random Guy had in the middle of the park. You need flamethrowers at your start, though.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, the fireworks and flamethrowers at the start were awesome too! My detailed race report - http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/ea37686320634b2db2ba2c523750c42c#focus