Perfect (But Lesser Known) Songs that get your Ipod Poppin! (Read 897 times)

Joann Y

whole album is fun. few tracks from Mannequin Men - Lose Your Illusion Too

Kinda Babes

Never Lived By Myself

Rathole

Joann Y

This whole album is a ton of fun. Never gets old.

Thurston Moore - Psychic Hearts

the anticipation at the beginning of Hang Out kills me

and love the title track Psychic Hearts

Joann Y

At the risk of overdoing it (hey, why the hell not), i can't help but revisit Neil Young this time of year. he's got a special place in my heart.

Saw this on SNL in 1992 and couldn't help but fall in love -  Harvest Moon

That was just the beginning and there is so so much more - but here's a couple more from Harvest/Harvest Moon, perfect accompaniment to autumn- Harvest  and Old King

WheresMyMule

The Scarlet>Fire from Cornell '77 is the perfect accompaniment for a 5k tempo run. 

Joann Y

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

They're definitely moving along 

steph  

Joann Y

They're definitely moving along 

Wait, you wouldn't call that running?

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

The run dance 

mta:  My bad.  I guess you can't dance on a treadmill either.

steph  

Joann Y

The run dance 

mta:  My bad.  I guess you can't dance on a treadmill either.

Gah, I'm glad you finally cleared that up. I was thinking that maybe you could rock out on the treadmill, but that doesn't seem possible either. Flailing seems to be the only legitimate use for a treadmill. There has got to be some kind of mathematical proof to demonstrate this.

Joann Y

This has nothing to do with treadmills or running or anything else other than just a really really great song I heard this morning by Angel Olsen - May As Well. My lord. And you can't bring up Angel Olsen and sad songs without bringing up Bonnie Prince Billy, Teach Me To Bear You has got to be the most devastating song on this planet. Emmett Kelly's guitar on this song and album is just fantastic. These three can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned and I could die happy with their songs ringing in my ears. Just gorgeous country/folk/americana, whatever you want to call it.

might work better here.. May As Well

lagwagon

This has nothing to do with treadmills or running or anything else other than just a really really great song I heard this morning by Angel Olsen - May As Well

great song, thanks. i need to check out more of her stuff.  i'm lukewarm on BPB, he writes great songs but i feel like i'm wading through some average ones to get the good ones.

since we're being all instropective and folksy, heres some first aid kit and iron and wine

Joann Y

great song, thanks. i need to check out more of her stuff.  i'm lukewarm on BPB, he writes great songs but i feel like i'm wading through some average ones to get the good ones.

since we're being all instropective and folksy, heres some first aid kit and iron and wine

yeah, he does put a lot out there and I can say some of his albums and songs have been closer to me than others but I think it has more to do with where I have spent my time and energy with repeated listens and where my mind was at the time. I don't think I normally spend a lot of time paying attention to lyrics, but the abstract and earthy quality of his, with the music and his vocals just weaves into my mind and just makes sense and feels right. I don't know. I'd check out Superwolf, which he did with Matt Sweeney, and The Wonder Show of the World. I See a Darkness, Ease Down the Road, and Master and Everyone I have to mention, although they are so close to me I don't know if I can even be objective anymore. oh yeah, and a friend told me about his album Western Music a while back and I just don't know what to say about it. It's some kind of bit of goodness that I am so happy to listen to. Ah, I've lost my mind.

Never heard First Aid Kit and been a while since the Iron and Wine. I'll be sure to check it all out.

Thank you for the First Aid Kit suggestion, I totally fell in love with the song.

Joann Y

Driving into work this morning noticing the grimy streets on the west side and the white haze that has settled into the sky until sometime next spring. I suddenly got this intense feeling of nostalgia for this city and an overwhelming feeling that I need to run the Chicago marathon next year. Like really need to see all those streets and neighborhoods and take it all in. Not sure if it's coincidence but I was listening to Sonny and the Sunsets on the drive and started the day with Path of Orbit. My heart is palpitating.

JDK1962

Based on the previous 10 pages of this thread, I don't know if anyone else is a jazz fan, but...

On Pat Metheny's "Unity Band" album, there is a long track named "Signals" (an excerpt is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nssHf4nHW2U, don't bother with the live version that's on there, it's NOTHING like what's on the album). The first two minutes or so are a bit random, but part of the instrumentation is robotic; Metheny calls it an "orchestrion", and it's programmed at a perfect 180bpm. The piece has a long build, with guitar and sax solos, but then--I've been listening to jazz for ~35 years and I don't how else to describe it--there's a kind of double solo that's amazing. Plus fantastic drumming. When this song reaches its peak, I always feel like I can fly (and I'm a freakin' turtle).

Ok. I'll calm down now and wipe the drool off my chin.

(Good jazz tracks with an easy-to-pick-up 180 bpm are pretty thin on the ground. Any other suggestions?)

Mainly I listen to old rock. Beyond "Tusk" (another great 180bpm) running song, my favorites, all dated (like me), are:

Bad Mood Rising - CCR

The Boys of Summer - Don Henley

The Ocean - Led Zeppelin

Omega Man, Next To You, Darkness, The Other Way of Stopping - The Police

Seven Days - Sting

One After 909 - The Beatles

Never Going Back Again - Fleetwood Mac

Steppin' Out, and I'm the Man - Joe Jackson

Hocus Pocus - Focus

The Fire Inside - Bob Seger

Start Me Up, Mixed Emotions - The Rolling Stones

Bright Side of the Road - Van Morrison

Box Set - Barenaked Ladies