Superfeet Success Stories? (Read 1440 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Do you have one? I sure do! For the last 3 months I have had a chronic case of "runner's knee" in my right knee. I had tried everything to treat it, including regular quad strengthening workouts, new shoes (more stable, more stiff...helped my knee, pissed-off my feet), scaling back my mileage, doctor visit, etc. Things started 2 weeks before I began marathon training and I have struggled for the last 12 weeks with painful, STRESSFUL (as opposed to stress-relieving) runs. As of a few days ago I had decided that if things did not improve significantly and within this week that I would be bailing on my marathon plan (this would be the second race this year that I DNS/DNF'd...in April I had a bad lung infection and fever that sidelined me from a 10 miler...'08 has not bee a good year for me in terms of running/health). In a last-ditch try to salvage some of my marathon training I decided to put a pair of Superfeet "berry" insoles in my shoes, since I have seen so many raves and figured I'd be out $0 if they didn't work, since the company and the store I bought them from stands behind the product. I had worn an OTC orthotic for a brief time about a year ago to try to help with some peroneal tendonitis issues, but they made matters worse and were really too high-arched for my flatish feet. What I needed was a more flexible shoe, not a stiff shoe with even more control. So I was more than a little pessimistic that the Superfeets would help. Moderate stability shoes corrected over-pronation, but prevent the natural forefoot flex that my feet seem to crave with their relatively stiff soles and cushioning. My favorite lightweight stability trainers gave me the forefoot flex, but also allowed my arches to flatten too much and my knee to twist incorrectly. Voila--orthotic insoles save the day! I get to keep my flexible shoes, but control the over-pronation. I just ran my longest run ever--after only putting 4 miles on the Superfeet insoles last night. My last couple of long runs have been 15 excruciating miles...today's 17 felt blissfully pain-free and easy, by comparison. I still had some knee pain, but it came on a lot later in my run and never developed into anything unmanageable to run with. I have a feeling that continuing to wear the orthotic insoles will allow my knee to finally heal fully, too--just in time! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Hoping for the same success girl! Wonderful News, and Happy Training to you! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks! Hey, did you try the berry insoles, yet, or are you still working with the Powerstep ones?

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I love my green ones - my Asics 2130s weren't comfortable, but with the inserts, they feel great. Kirsten, I'm so glad they worked so well on your long run! Great news.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Kirsten, I'm so glad they worked so well on your long run! Great news.
            Phew, me too! Big grin It's truly amazing to me how a simple little piece of plastic can make such a big difference in how my shoe works. Shoe feels about the same on my feet, but I guess that's a good thing. Smile

~ Sarah Kay

Ringmaster

Wow. . . . maybe I'll get me some. My knees talk to me once in a while too. I hope this works, K!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
              Mile by Mile

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Phew, me too! Big grin It's truly amazing to me how a simple little piece of plastic can make such a big difference in how my shoe works. Shoe feels about the same on my feet, but I guess that's a good thing. Smile
                Yep! I was a really good test for them, because I really didn't EXPECT them to work. I'd bought them last month and hadn't tried them yet. I finally decided to, just to determine whether I should toss the shoes!
                  Thanks! Hey, did you try the berry insoles, yet, or are you still working with the Powerstep ones?
                  Did not buy the berry ones YET, I am going to try another run in them and see how they feel..... I contacted the company today to ask how long they last, and they advised changing them with every 3rd pair of shoes or with excessive visable wear, or if new pain develops. They don't look near as durable as superfeets so It's clearly a wait and see approach.... I just can't wait to get out there and kick ass again with my runs.... If all goes well, my long run will be 12 on Sunday....*** crosses fingers ****

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If all goes well, my long run will be 12 on Sunday....*** crosses fingers ****
                    *crosses fingers AND toes*

~ Sarah Kay

Hoping to Run Again :-(

I'm SO happy for you Kirsten - all digits crossed that you've found your "dream combination!"
                      ~ Fly ~
                      Only as much as I dream can I be.
                      veggies on the run
                      pitrunner

I'm so happy you've found a solution! Cranky knees are a PITA. I'm a superfeet greens success story too - they totally helped my PF!
                          Yeah for you! I hope now we can actually put in a run together. Okay I'm not ready for any 17's, give me a shout on your short run days! We can finish the race at Jimmy's Pub and an Oberon to celebrate your return Big grin
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah for you! I hope now we can actually put in a run together. Okay I'm not ready for any 17's, give me a shout on your short run days! We can finish the race at Jimmy's Pub and an Oberon to celebrate your return Big grin
                            Hey, you know...Vikki and I are running 5 on Friday together... Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay

Hey, you know...Vikki and I are running 5 on Friday together... Evil grin
                              I will be in Southern Indiana with my inlaws Sad to attend "Ribberfest" a weekend of cooking/eating Ribs, listening to some Bluegrass and drinking some beer.I will need to run a lot next week to bounce back from this weekend. (I need the alcohol to handle my dh family Wink) But def. next week!
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I will be in Southern Indiana with my inlaws Sad to attend "Ribberfest" a weekend of cooking/eating Ribs, listening to some Bluegrass and drinking some beer.I will need to run a lot next week to bounce back from this weekend. (I need the alcohol to handle my dh family Wink) But def. next week!
                                Ha, funny...I need alcohol to deal with my MIL, too...though she is not so cool as to attend any rib fests (that actually sounds really fun).

~ Sarah Kay