foot problems (Read 842 times)

carriweir

Hi to all, I am new to running and am just doing interval type running/walking. I am training with a group to run my first half marathon this Sat. here in Mississippi. Mississippi Blues Marathon. Over the past 2-3 months I have tried everything to help with this problem. My feet go numb from the balls of my feet to my toes. I have new shoes, laced them everyway you can imagine, tried different socks, etc,.... I tell you I have tried everything! Any ideas or suggestions? Could it be that I am just made this way?? LOL Smile At the end of my 8 miles last Sat, I could not really feel my feet! Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Carri
    Scout7

Could be an issue with your arches. You might need more support.

#artbydmcbride

You should wear a running shoe at least one size larger than your everyday shoes. Were you fitted at a specialty running store?

Runners run

carriweir

yes, I was fitted at a running specialty store, I have actually tried 2 different pairs of shoes. Have you ever had any luck with inserts? Thanks for replying. Carri
          PDoe

I used to have had this problem but have found a solution. The numbness if from nerve damage between the metarsal bones in the forefoot. Everytime the foot flexes the nerves get pinched between the metarsal bones. When the numbness goes away it becomes very painful. What worked for me was a metarsal pad under the forefoot. A podiatrist showed me how to make my own from moleskin padding available at pharmacies. Make sure you get the PADDING, it's thicker than plain moleskin. Cut a circle about the size of a quarter and stick it to the underside of the shoe insole. The location is important. If you feel your forefoot from inside to outside, starting with the ball of your big toe, you will feel a slight arch. The pad should go about the center of your foot in the 'high' spot of that arch. The function of the pad is to not allow your metarsals to flex as far with each step. I still suffer forefoot problems but it is 1000% better than it used to be when I first started running three years ago. Naturally, there are go guarantees this will help you but the symptoms sound the same. FWIW, I also have very high main arches which made the problem worse because more weight was put on the forefoot.
              Happy New Year everybody! All due respect, from what (and how) the original poster, I don't think we have enough information to diagnose it as high arch or damaged nerve. Without clearly identifying the issue, seemingly a solution may even cause further problem or could end up simply tampering and create more problems. First thing I'll look into may be the shoe too tight. And if that is the cause, adding "extra" padding either on the arch or bottom of your ball would probably make the issue worse. Try loosening the shoe, whatever you may not have tried yet. I wouldn't simply go with a shoe that's one size bigger because that may cause other problems like getting blister on the top of the arch. If the shoe "fits" to begin with, going one size would distort that "shape" and now the widest part of the foot no longer fits into the widest part of the shoe. The heel may come too loose and create blisters on the heel area. First, try to switch the insole to something thinner. If you check insole from different shoes, different brand, etc.; you'll notice they are all slightly different (even within the same brand). Your old used insole most likely should be a bit thinner simply because they are more "compounded". If the problem ONLY occures fore part of the foot, try scraping the pad of the original insole. Naturally, don't just remove the layer (particularly the top layer!) of the insole. Get a nail cripper and carefully chip away small portion of the bottom pad. Of course, as Soxfan explained, lack of padding could be a cause of it too; but in that case, I wouldnot recommend simply adding extra padding due to the above point--it may cut further circulation. I don't know if they still sell it but they used to have Sorbothane with the padding on the heel AND forefoot area??? You can try switching to that. As for lacing, have you tried Lydiard lacing? I found good success with some cases with this: http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/training/lacingthelydiardway.aspx Now I know this is a bit complicated and may need some time to get use to. Or worse yet, if the shoe is too soft or with odd-number eyelets, it may not work well. It gets a bit tricky but I have suggested this to some people with Morton's nueroma issue and found some improvement. Assuming this is caused by cut-circulation, you can also try getting 2 sets of shorter shoe lace; divide the shoe into 2 sections of front part and top part; tie the top part snuggly but tie the front part (or the bottom part) more loosely. See if this makes any improvement. I found with Lydiard lacing, if you can do it correctly, it seems to tighten independently and I can tie one area tighter than the other. It may be too late for your half marathon this weekend (tomorrow); but good luck anyways!
                One other thing (well, actually a couple of things...); even the same brand shoes or actually the same models (from one generation to the next), the feel of the shoe can differ slightly. I personally love ASICS HyperSpeed II and I train and race in them. Apparently, the next generation is coming out and they will be a bit narrower, which actually I think I would like more. But the point is; for someone with even wider feet, HS III might be too tight and may restrict blood flow and cause numbness.. Also, personally, when I do get numbness in feet is when the shoe is too stiff; particularly in the forefoot area. One time, this particular shoe was causing enough problem (numbness as well as soreness in arch), I just made a couple of grooves in the forefoot area (just used one of those sculptors knife and scraped a few lines). The problems instantly disappeared. And lastly, I don't know how you classify "speciality" store...but; there are people who know about running and shes; but there are a lot of people who don't have any idea and just repeat what's been writen or what they're told to say. I don't necessarily trust everything they say about "the right shoes". I hate to say but that's the truth. Even some of so-called "experts" can't tell the difference between elbows to your butt! I don't buy into this "a size bigger" shoe crap. Yes, your feet will swell up a bit but not that much! I can show you why it's not good. If you start to lose toe nails because the shoe is too tight; it is because (1) the shoe is too tight to begin with, or (2) the shoe is not constructed correctly and it pushes down the tip. It wouldn't happen if the shoe is constructed properly and toe box stays 3-dimentional. The widest part of your foot should sits into the widest part of the shoe. If you get a size bigger, it no longer aligns; you'll either get the upper arch area rubbed and get a blister; or your foot will start to slide around and get blister elsewhere.
                  I’m not a doctor nor have I played one on TV but I’ve had (have) the same problem. I changed the way I lace my shoes – only using the top 3 rows. That helped a little. When I bought my most recent shoes I stuck with the same brand but the salesman made sure it had a wider toe box than my previous pair. I also mentioned my problem to both a personal trainer (my sister in law) and a chiropractor that was giving massages after a local race. I don’t recall the “technical” terms, but both of them said that there is a pressure point on the meaty part of the calf, more toward the inside part of the leg where the muscle will bunch up. And to roll tennis ball or push the calf into the kneecap of the opposite leg to apply pressure to that area. It isn’t very comfortable and when you find the right spot it kind of hurts, but that along with stretching out the calf muscles after running has helped me some. I also advised by one of them to take a rubber ball and roll it under my foot when it bothers me after a run. They all seem to have helped me a little. Good luck –
                  carriweir

Thanks to everyone for there suggestions and ideas, I will look into all. I finished my first half marathon yesterday in 2:57:30. I was excited! It was very hot and humid, but overall a great experience. I do want to continue training and work on better times. I was pretty proud of myself being 47 and beating some ladies alot younger than myself! Smile I started training for this back at the end of October, had just been a somewhat of a dedicated walker before. Again, thanks to everyone and Happy New Year! C