Anybody have dry, cracked skin on soles of their feet? (Read 1876 times)

The skin on the bottoms of my feet is extremely calloused and gets to the point where it gets cracked and can even get bloody. The dead skin around the cracks is very hard and sharp! I use a rasp/cheese grater looking device and it helps to control some of the cracking, but this condition is driving me crazy and has been going on for years. I've tried every type of foot cream, heel balm, bags over the feet at night....everything but I can't stop it...only temporarily deter it until I forget to do anything for a week. Anyone else have this problem? I'm getting ready to go to a podiatrist for help..... Anyone else have this problem and if so, any advice? It doesn't affect my running or anything...yet, but I'm thinking about doing a half-marathon in the near future and I'm worried that increasing my mileage is going to cause some serious damage to my feet.
    Personal Records 5K - 21:35
      Have you ever tried to use a foot file? The creams are the 2nd half of the solution, but the file will get rid of the callouses. If yours are that bad, it will take a little while, but once you get it under control, maintain it (use it in the shower when your skin's softer) and you won't have the problem anymore. You can get them at most drugstores and think fairly inexpensive- a few $ or so. Photobucket
        My rasp/cheese grater is a foot file.....it definitely helps control it.....I just want to cure it! lol
        Personal Records 5K - 21:35
          My rasp/cheese grater is a foot file.....it definitely helps control it.....I just want to cure it! lol
          Big grin Not sure what the cheese grater thing is, but with the file it's kind of like a nail file/ buffer. It also smooths the skin out besides takes the callus off, so it's also helping to prevent further build-up. The files have 2 sides- one that's more coarse for removing the callous and one that's for smoothin' ya out. Is there a "cure"? Interested in further posts. I thought feet just did this. If I don't use my file for awhile my heels start getting all dry and cracked, and in the winter they could get really bad.
          JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

I think that the file is different than the grater thing you were describing. Go with the file. Every day. It should work. Good luck. Thanks for advice with my feet cramps. Jilly
            "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
              Good advice above, and professional pedicures can also help--they aren't just for girls anymore! This can also sometimes be caused by an infection similar to athlete's foot, even though it looks very different from "traditional" athlete's foot. It may be worth having checked out...
              sluggo

John

ummm - see a dermatologist? I have something like this on one foot, but not nearly as severe as what you are describing. My condition is caused by a fungus that is easily controlled with a topical cream. I use this lortisone cream in May of 2000 (with a discard date in 2001). Whenever the dry cracking shows up I rub it on my skin and I am usually good for a few months.

John
                www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Non ducor, duco.

Try Body Glide on it! It works wonders on cracked skin. Also, I use a small hand-held Black and Decker sander with fine grade sandpaper on my feet.No joke! It works great too! Had to add that you probably have a fungus though if it is too bad.
                    I've actually never had this problem from running, but from the field with combat boots on for too long. For an off the shelf thing, Zim's Crack Cream is great. When it got really bad, I had a 50/50 cream mix of cortisone and some anti-fungal thing prescribed because the doctor couldn't tell what it was.
                      My feet were pretty bad before I ditched cotton socks, but I don't recall them bleeding. My vet prescribed KeraSolv for my greyhound's dry cracked pads, but her office is a long way from my home and I found Kerasal at Walgreens. A non-prescription ointment for people with the same active ingredients as the veterinary prescription. It did such a nice job on my dog's pads that I tried it myself with great results. Not cheap, but worth it if your feet are happy.

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

CherryDG

I have the same problem especially in the summertime. I found that Flexitol Heel Balm helps prevent the cracking (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=92720&catid=17065). I put it on before bed and wear socks after putting it on. It's inexpensive and can be purchased at Target and/or Walmart. Not the most attractive packaging but it works.
                          Try Body Glide on it! It works wonders on cracked skin. Also, I use a small hand-held Black and Decker sander with fine grade sandpaper on my feet.No joke! It works great too!
                          Yep! Hubby uses one every couple weeks on his.
                          Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."

RIP, Henry, my soul mate

Put some type of lotion on your feet every day. It's made a huge difference for me. It will take a while for you to see the results, and you have to keep at it, but it's worth it. Burt's Bees peppermint foot creme is great. And it doesn't smell girly.

Run the race God set B4U

I don't have this problem yet, but I don't run as many miles as most of you here, since I'm pretty much a beginner...my huband uses vaseline on his feet.
                              5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)

Go Pre!

The skin on the bottoms of my feet is extremely calloused and gets to the point where it gets cracked and can even get bloody. The dead skin around the cracks is very hard and sharp! I use a rasp/cheese grater looking device and it helps to control some of the cracking, but this condition is driving me crazy and has been going on for years. I've tried every type of foot cream, heel balm, bags over the feet at night....everything but I can't stop it...only temporarily deter it until I forget to do anything for a week. Anyone else have this problem? I'm getting ready to go to a podiatrist for help..... Anyone else have this problem and if so, any advice? It doesn't affect my running or anything...yet, but I'm thinking about doing a half-marathon in the near future and I'm worried that increasing my mileage is going to cause some serious damage to my feet.
                                How's your water intake? II used to have this problem but has since gone away after increasing my water consumtion.