When to Hydrate on Long Runs? How far is too far w/o water? (Read 1588 times)

Dave

How long does water take to absorb into your system? I usually drink about 8oz ten minutes before I head out, but is that doing me any good? Should I be drinking it an hour before?
    This link seemed pretty authoritative: http://www.milk.co.uk/page.aspx?intPageID=126 10-15 minutes ahead should be enough. FWIW, I carry water on anything longer than about 50 minutes in warm weather and maybe 1:15 in cooler weather. 4 x 8 ounce bottles on my fuel belt and I'll stop and refill if I'm out long enough. There is no training benefit to dehydration and obvious downsides.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

There is no training benefit to dehydration and obvious downsides.
      This seems so fundamentally obvious, and yet I've had people insist that they can train themselves to run w/o water. To each their own, but seems like a bad idea to me.
      Carps10

This link seemed pretty authoritative: http://www.milk.co.uk/page.aspx?intPageID=126 10-15 minutes ahead should be enough. FWIW, I carry water on anything longer than about 50 minutes in warm weather and maybe 1:15 in cooler weather. 4 x 8 ounce bottles on my fuel belt and I'll stop and refill if I'm out long enough. There is no training benefit to dehydration and obvious downsides.
        I'm sorry, but no decent runner tries to run while wearing a fuel belt
          People easily mix up two different concepts. Acclimation to dehydration, that is impossible, and acclimation to heat, thus reduced sweating. You can train your body to resist heat, but obviously you cannot train your body to function in reduced water content of body cells. So, if you prefer to run outside during summer, then you have to let your body sufficient time to acclimate to prevailing outside temperature. If you live in a air conditioned room and only stay outside short periods of time, and even run outside, you will face profound sweating because your body has not get used to function in that temperature, thus early dehydration. But, if you let your body to cope to out side temperatures you can run over 1h without any water intake, depending on personal traits. I find it hard to believe that any experienced runner would even try to improve performance in dehydration.

Dave

You're right. What was I thinking. I'm going to have to sell mine to some poor shmoe on Ebay. Maybe one of these guys will buy it? http://www.fuelbelt.com/about/athletes.html

dgb2n@yahoo.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Guess I should just quit, then. I get sick when I dehydrate, so it's obvious that running is simply not the sport for me. Roll eyes BTW, come back and talk to us about hydration needs when your longest run is well over 7 miles and/or 90 minutes in 80º or higher temps, ok.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Count me out too. Although, technically I have a different brand. So can I still be a runner? Damn! I'm conflicted Confused
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Count me out too. Although, technically I have a different brand. So can I still be a runner? Damn! I'm conflicted Confused
                  Ooh, good point. Mine is Amphipod, so maybe I'm a decent runner. And even if I'm not, I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express. So there. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Dave

Now, Zoomie. Çan't we be mediocre together? Its not like you've got 48 miles in your log (total) like our new found troll friend. Big grin

dgb2n@yahoo.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Now, Zoomie. Çan't we be mediocre together? Its not like you've got 48 miles in your log (total) like our new found troll friend. Big grin
                      Mediocre is the new black...or gray...or pink or something. Hey, I did 40 miles in one week while training for my last race. And you know...I took fluids with me on my 16 miler through the boondocks. Guess I'm not a "decent" runner. I should have made myself sick running for 3 hours with no fluids. Yeah, that would have been cool. Or maybe I could limit myself to 7 milers and go around dispensing advice to people who regularly run twice the distances I do in a single run. Roll eyes

~ Sarah Kay

I do not know if you are moaning about my point of view or not, but if you are, I am sorry to found the tender spot. I have done orienteering since I was 8 years old. I have done competitions that has been on a map over 10 miles. That would mean you run at least +30% then the distance in the map. Also, running in a forest demands quite a lot from your body. I have done 3h orienteering competitions in 28C ambient air temperatures and did not need to take any fluids during the race. So, even if I have done no more then 7-8M after I started to log my runs in here since end of last year, does not mean I have not done over 2h runs, without fluids. We all are different. Please, drink if you feel like it, but some other people do not need to. It will get +35C in here after few months and during last few years I did my running at afternoon, even long runs (+2h). I only drink one mouthful of water from the water station in the park at the middle way. That's it. I can do it and it suits me. If you cannot, then you cannot and you should carry water with you. Simple as that.
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I do not know if you are moaning about my point of view or not, but if you are, I am sorry to found the tender spot.
                          No, this:

~ Sarah Kay

Old, Slow, Happy

I would like it to be known that I run up to 16 miles and never carry any fluids. I guess that makes me a decent runner. However, my last HM was at 1:54. That ain't very fast. I guess I'm not a decent runner. BUT.........1:54 is good for me. I very pleased with the time. I had an issue in the race that probably added 4 minutes to my time. So if I'm a decent runner or not is for me and my heart to decide- not judged by whether I carry fluids. BTW..I think Zoomy is a very decent runner. (and I don't even know her)
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I would like it to be known that I run up to 16 miles and never carry any fluids. I guess that makes me a decent runner. However, my last HM was at 1:54. That ain't very fast. I guess I'm not a decent runner. BUT.........1:54 is good for me. I very pleased with the time. I had an issue in the race that probably added 4 minutes to my time. So if I'm a decent runner or not is for me and my heart to decide- not judged by whether I carry fluids. BTW..I think Zoomy is a very decent runner. (and I don't even know her)
                              Yeah...I'm OK. Wink I'm totally envious of peeps who can go long distances without sweating pounds of fluids...I ain't one of 'em. And I live in the sticks, so no way to do my long runs around water stops--unless I run the same 3 mile out-and-back multiple times. Yuck. 1:54 for a HM including stopping to help someone is hella fast to me. I think that makes you better-than-decent. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Lia's Daddy

I have a camelback waist pack. I normally use it on trail runs. I was planning on using it Saturday when I did a 17 mile run. Friday night I noticed that the tubes were moldy. I decided no water would be better than moldy water. I ended up altering my route a little bit so that I could run past a water fountain at the half way point. I just got a small drink and was fine. It wasn't too hot and I wasn't runnig very fast. I did not feel dehydrated by the end of my run. I do keep well hydrated as a regular practice. For me, it feels like the need for water is based more on the intensity of my runs rather than the time or distance. I was thinking about getting a fuel belt this week but now I'm not so sure. I would hate to become a less-than-real runner Embarrassed
                                "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen