What entices you to run a race? (Read 772 times)

Ben Running

The atmosphere that goes along with races. Being around a lot of other runners is always fun. Shirts, food and BEER.
    wanderingoutlaw

The cost to run a race (including travel, lodging, dining, etc.) is becoming more important for me to run a race. If cost is equal, I'd be more drawn to an interesting course (and area). I also seem to prefer smaller races, rather than mega-events. A good technical shirt can entice me. Adequate refreshments is nice. Awards and door prizes don't matter much to me. Chip timing is nice but not necessary (unless I'm running a marathon with hope of BQing).

John

mikeymike

Competition, beer, sometimes monkeys.

Runners run

Since I am just starting out in this racing thing I have chosen all of my races so far based on proximity and falling on the right date. However, of the ones I have done I know some of the things that make me want to go back and do those races again. Organization is HUGE! I am already stressed on race morning. I want clearly marked check-in, a good flow to pick up shirts (yes I still like these, though 30 years from now maybe not so important.) and bibs. I like an Expo with people handing out freebies. (I like free things. What can I say?) During the race: clearly marked course. mile markers are good. I don't want to have to worry about which way to go on the course, especially if there are multiple races on the same course. It can get confusing and I don't want to waste energy figuring out which direction to turn. Water stations!!! I bring my own electrolyte drink to longer races, but water stations are nice, even in a 5K for us slow runners! I do like chip timing. Not sure why, but I do. After: since I am a definite back of the packer...raffles are nice. There are no AG award possibilities in my near future, but at the last race they had some really nice raffle prizes. I liked that. Lots of water available after the race, in different places so you don't have to wait in the food line to get more water. Bagels and orange slices. Those I love after a race. Anything else is just a bonus, but I want me some oranges and a piece of bagel. MTA: Race results and photos available online. Input from a back of the pack newbie. Hope that helps. Smile
          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Things I like: - close - cheap Things I dislike: - having to pick up packet day before (ugh) - having to listen to stupid loud music for a long time standing around waiting for the race to start (ugh)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Shirts? No, I have too many. A decent-quality running clothing piece is nice, though. Accurate course? Yes, because I can only do so many races to chart my improvement and I hate having to toss out a race result due to a bad course, whether it be from inaccurate distance or poor marking. Flat or hilly course (whatever you prefer)? As long as the course is consistent year to year, I do not mind how challening it is. A date that avoids conflict with another event? Yes, this plays a big part. Refreshments? Yes to the extent that the runners will not get dehydrated, but I do not particularly care that there be much variety. Awards? Yes, because the actual cost of rewards is so inexpensive that it seems a major oversight to me to not include them. Door prizes? No, this does not entice me to go to a race, but if they do it while scoring is still being tallied, then I enjoy it as a diversion. Chip timing? Yes in a big race, otherwise it does not matter to me so long as the timing can be accurate. Professional race management? I will sometimes avoid doing a race if their flyer or Web site gives me the feeling they are unsure how to host a race. Other: Location? Yes, this is incredibly important to me, as I would prefer to drive from my home to a race. Price? No, the actual cost of a race is not important to me, but I will dislike a race if I believe they charged a lot and gave the runners little (did not take times, no refreshments, no awards, etc.). On-time start? Unfortunately, you find out too late whether this is going to be an issue, but there's nothing worse for me than doing a warm-up and strides, getting to the start line, and then waiting an unknown amount of minutes to actually start. Race-day Registration or Packet Pick-up? Yes, it's nice to be able to decide the morning of whether you want to do it. In the case of larger races, pre-registration helps keep it organized, but it's very annoying if the packet cannot be picked up the day of the race, because that means making travel arrangements for an extra day. People? Yes, I prefer going to races attended by people I know. With the exception of date and location, this is probably the most important factor when scheduling a race. I hope this thread is read by many race organizers!
              gregw

Accurate course (certified) and timing (chip if it's a big race). Fast course -- this depends on whether it's a tune-up or a goal race, but I like my goal races on nice flat courses. Mile markers -- After Cherry Blossom's were off on Sunday, I think no race is immune, but I appreciate accurate mile markers. Competition -- I'd like to know I have somebody to run with at my pace (I'm not fast, but it can get lonely in a small race outside the very middle of the pack) if it's a goal race. Convenience -- somewhere I can drive to and park my car Price -- I'll pay for HM and up, but I don't want to spend $35 for a 5k. I could do w/o t-shirts and awards. One of the local clubs has $5 no-frills races that I love. The only downside is that most are slow courses and aren't certified (although I believe they're accurate), but they're great for tune-up races. We need more of these!
                  Very Important: - Quality of course: scenic, beautiful, challenging, technical, scenic views, etc - As much trail as possible. I try to avoid courses with a lot of jeep roads/roads - Well managed race / well stocked aid stations / good volunteers - Fits my racing schedule (though with some races, like the Hardrock 100, I'll work my entire year around the race) Moderately Important: - Ease of access / close to home - Atmosphere of the race - A race my friends are also planning to do - Price - prefer to keep it at less than about $2/mile but will make exceptions for the right races. Not important at all: - Shirts / schwag (it's nice to get a cool shirt, etc, but it never influences my decision to enter) - Accuracy of the course (trail ultras are never accurate, some are miles off, a few are many miles off) - Competition (I'm only racing myself) - Awards (I never win anything so it doesn't matter) - Chip timing - Door prizes - Professional Race Management (I actually prefer just the opposite)

De-slacking in progress

Since I've only been running for one year... I train totally alone- I enter races to be with friendly, like minded people that you can B.S. with and make new friends that you see in our local racing season. I compete against MYSELF so I don't really care that much how anyone else does but I am in awe of others in my old man age group that can out run the young bucks. I like the free shirts- when I wear them in public I guess it's sort of a secret brag to the couch potatoes that I formally was that I AM A RUNNER. I have had total strangers come up to me and tell me that they run, etc so I get to meet more people. Awards/medals- I did place 3rd in my age group once and got a nice medal for it and the excitement of that lasted about 10 mins. The one medal I DO want will be on 4/19/09 when I complete my first HM as this is a big achievement in my little pea brain. Other than that I don't care because the racing circuit I run in the males 45-49 are really fast (actually the fastest overall age group) so I can't hold a candle to them. Main reason for racing- I don't think I'd stick to my training if I didn't have races lined up,in my schedule. Unfortunately being still unemployed that will prevent me from entering more races this year. But I'm thinking, the heck with with- I'm going to pay for as many as I can because the race atmosphere is what I crave. Our racing circuit has about 40 races each season all within a maximum of a 35 mile radius, so I don't have to really pay that much other than $15-$20 per race plus the cost of gas to get there. That money gets me a decent race shirt, Subway sandwiches, drinks, cookies etc so for what I get when I finish the race, in value, far exceeds the cost of the entry fee.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Shirts?A good shirt could absolutely entice me to run a race. The technical shirt that cost the race $8 at bulk pricing might cost me $20 at retail. That's getting value. As for cotton shirts, if its nice looking with a cool design, then I'd certainly favor it, all things considered. Bonus points if the "shirt" is actually some other cool item, like a lightweight running vest or a windbreaker. If I ever staged a race my giveaway would be nicely branded Buff
                      Accurate course?Pretty much a deal breaker. I still like to set PRs, and I have a hard time accepting even my own PRs unless its on a certified course.
                      Flat or hilly course (whatever you prefer)?I'm more interested in the scenery than the elevation. A race with a cool course is just more fun. Things like running on the Indy 500 track, running through Wrigley Field, running to the 50 yard line at Soldier Field seem to make the race more interesting to me. Its not a requirement, but it is an enticement.
                      A date that avoids conflict with another event?I think its good when local races show some awareness of the major events in the area, but I don't see this as an enticement.
                      Refreshments?I don't expect much from a race other than water and Gatorade, and maybe a stale bagel. But if the refreshments had a reputation of being truly outstanding or truly unique, then it might be a minor enticement
                      Awards?I've placed in my age group only twice: once I received a medal, once I did not. Both had the same meaning to me, and it wouldn't affect my decision to run a race one iota.
                      Door prizes?Can be a fun bonus to a race, but I don't want to wait around for an hour after the race just for a tiny chance to win a spike bag. This probably wouldn't affect my decision to run or not run a race.
                      Chip timing?Again, pretty much a deal breaker especially for races in Chicago. The fields are so large that even "small" races draw several thousand runners. With fields this size, you really need chips/tags to get accurate times
                      Professional race management?Much more important for a longer or larger race. For a five or dime, I'll pretty much run anybody's race. For a half or a full, I'd choose a well-run race staged by a well-respected company over a first-time organizer or some fly-by-night management company

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

coastwalker

I was in a race two weeks ago where they ran out of everything (water, bagels, bananas) at the finish by the time I got there, and I was far from last. I doubt that I'll go back because that's just not a good thing (yes, I did write to the RD about it). I like races that are within relatively easy driving distance (2 hours, max), and am fortunate enough to live in an area where that still leaves me plenty of choices. Small races can be fun, but I don't get too excited about the very big races anymore unless they have some special meaning for me. Accurately-measured courses and accurate timing are important. So is good organization, even if it is just basic. I'd rather be on a scenic course than one in an industrial park. Hills can keep a course interesting, so (in moderation!) they aren't a bad thing. Races in bad weather have to start on time - if the weather is nice, I can be a little more forgiving (in my second year as an RD we started 15 minutes late, and I hated it and swore it would never happen again - and it hasn't). I don't get excited about shirts, but would rather get a technical shirt than a cotton one, if I'm going to get one at all. Good designs do make a difference. I've never been a fan of raffles - what's that got to do with racing? If a race wants to give more goodies, create more awards (midpackers, first local entrants, etc., etc.) I won't enter a race if I think they are charging too much. I'd much rather go to a race that is a fund-raiser for a good, local cause than one that is just making money for the organizers. A well-conceived, inexpensive award is better than an expensive but useless one. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

jules2

I'm bone idle so I enter races to force myself to train, at one time I used to race a lot but now I go for variety. I have too many T shirts already and prizes don't really interest me. Next races I have and reasons, Hose Half Marathon 12 April, pan flat was hoping for a PB but not now and also to meet ChrisUk who appears to have vanished where are you mate? Dog & Hedgehog Half, to settle old scores. Town and Gown 10k Oxford, because its a get together for as many runners as possible for the UK runners forum.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

xor

I'm bone idle
                            Me too, brother. Me too.

Oh Mighty Wing

Race Day Magic... what else is there? Wink
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

For me, it depends on my goals for the year and then after that it is all about timing of the event as compared to other stuff we have going on. Distance can also be a factor.
                                Yep. I also like smaller races. My brother wants me to run Chicago "with" him someday. Hell, no. Too big, WAY too $$. I don't care to spend hundreds in registration, lodging, food, transportation, etc. And races that are scenic are a draw, too. But poor management even if everything else is good is a deal-breaker (ahem, Grand Haven Coast Guard Fest 10k).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay