Sex and running ! (Read 1665 times)

Man in Tights

Here's some research on this. People can not only run their way to a better sex life , but also have sex to become a better runner, according to a survey of studies on the issue by Runner's World magazine. Male runners seem to have the sexual prowess of men two to five years younger, it found. Vigorous exercise, combined with lifestyle factors such as diet and not smoking, can improve a man's sexual status by up to 10 years. "The science is very complex," says Dr. Ted Fenske, an Edmonton cardiologist who ran the Boston Marathon this year. "But running will improve vascular health and vascular health is necessary for a male to have proper sexual function." Email to a friend Printer friendly Font:****Mike Finch, editor of Runner's World's South African edition, says marathoners are "like sexual gods." Countless university studies and field work all pointing to a similar -- albeit less bombastic -- conclusion. Because exercise increases feel-good hormones and helps improve overall physical function, experts contend that sex stands to be enhanced from regular running. A 2003 study out of Harvard University found men over 50 who run at least three hours a week have a 30% lower risk of impotence than those who do little or no exercise. "Runners are fitter, healthier and have a good self-image," says Mr. Finch. "That makes them more eager to have sex, makes them more desirable and gives them more endurance." Dr. Fenske notes that C-reactive protein has recently been found to be related to cardiovascular disease; exercise is shown to reduce this type of protein. He says aerobic exercise will also improve the function of the endothelium (vascular tissue lining), minimizing injuries to the blood vessels which are necessary to sexual health. However, Dr. Fenske observes that running, not intercourse, is fundamentally what makes people run better. "These ideas about having sex and then running your personal best are great," he says. "But I don't think they're going to be the reality for people." Dr. Fenske is referring to claims in Runner's World that women stand to gain an athletic advantage from snogging before jogging. "What we discovered was that women do benefit from having sex the night before a race," says Mr. Finch, recalling the finding of Israeli physician Alexander Olshanietzky that "women compete better after orgasm." Distance runner and three-time Olympian Lynn Jennings once remarked that "sex the night before solidifies my core feeling of happiness." John Stanton, founder of Canada's Running Room chain, says this phenomenon is largely psychological. Just as running improves body image and thus self-confidence in the bedroom, having sex might energize a runner and enhance emotional fitness. "When your sex life becomes healthier, your whole sense of well-being is better," he says. "Likewise, our sexual performance can be an indication to how healthy we are." But Mr. Stanton warns that one of the first things to suffer when an athlete over-exercises is libido. "Runners can be a bit obsessive-compulsive," he says, laughing. "Too much of a good thing is not good." SO GUYS RUN HARDER NOW.
      My brother has these two t-shirts: "Marathoners keep it up longer" "Ultramarathoners don't have time for it"
        About post workout sex - I have heard that testosteron level drops after sex (for a men). So, it will decrease the effect of certain kinds of workouts.
        Well that settles it, no more...............sex Surprised

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

JakeKnight

SO GUYS RUN HARDER NOW.
          *snort*

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Is it OK to have sex before a race? Yes, as long as it doesn't bother the other runners at the the starting line. I was having trouble with my sex life. I went the Dr. for a checkup and advice. The Dr. said I needed some excercise and I should go for a 2 mile run everday for two weeks, and then get back with him. Two weeks later I called the Dr. The Doctor asked, "Well, how's your sex life?" I replied, "How should I know, I'm 28 miles from home!"
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
            PWL

Has been

...marathoners are "like sexual gods."
              Guys, if that don't get you motivated to get out the door and run, nothing will. I think I need that on a bumper sticker or t-shirt or something.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

There's lots of similarities between the two: You have to pace yourself or you'll be done too soon Guys often finish before the girls do You often have to pay a fee upfront Seems like there's more glory or bragging rights the longer you can do it Both work up a sweat and are fun to do to music Vaseline can be helpful for both activities You have to be concerned about the nipples That said, I've never had throngs of people cheering for me nor anyone handing me a medal after a little boot-knockin'.
                JakeKnight

There's lots of similarities between the two: You have to pace yourself or you'll be done too soon Guys often finish before the girls do You often have to pay a fee upfront Seems like there's more glory or bragging rights the longer you can do it Both work up a sweat and are fun to do to music Vaseline can be helpful for both activities You have to be concerned about the nipples
                  Awesome! Big grin Although you obviously don't run with the same girls I do.
                  That said, I've never had throngs of people cheering for me nor anyone handing me a medal after a little boot-knockin'.
                  You're probably doing it wrong.

You're probably doing it wrong.
                    Did my wife tell you to say that?
                      It absolutely improves my sex life. I am always to tired to want any. Which suits my wife just fine. She doesn't like me anyway.quote> This post makes me laugh! Like all of the TV talk shows always blaming the man for not giving their women enough attention, I believe thats a bunch of hooey. I dont care how tired I am, if my wife of 25 years makes an offer she's getting drilled . Surprised Sick, tired, cold, hot,fast, slow, she wants it shes got it. And I gotta believe I am no different from any red blooded American male. The Al Bundy stereotype is a lie! Evil grin
                      I love to eat, therefore I must run!
                      Teresadfp

One day at a time

All I can say is that DH is VERY happy that I'm running so much! Wink
                        JakeKnight

getting drilled
                          Shocked

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

About post workout sex - I have heard that testosteron level drops after sex (for a men). So, it will decrease the effect of certain kinds of workouts.
                            I don't worry too much about my testosterone levels. I go out and run, get ramped up and afterwards, if the opporunity presents itself, get some luvin. I find it more gratifying (in general) than non post workout sex.
                            Timbodeener

There is a weekly tv show on Fox Sports called "Sports Science" where they take a scientific look at various sports stuff... About a month or so ago I saw one where they were trying to prove/disprove the notion that pre-competition sex can hurt sports performance. There was a well know boxer (can't remember his name) and his wife on this particular show. The boxer was put through numerous tests of speed, strength and agility then his blood was tested for testosterone levels. Next they had him and his wife "go at it" in a hotel room for a few hour (maybe overnight....can't remember) then did all the same tests again. His performance was actually better after sex....and more importantly his blood testosterone level actually went up!
                                I would certainly think that when you are " Bumpin Uglies" it certainly helps if you can " See" them..... running keeps you flat in all the right places! Wink Yes

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS"