Motivation (Read 1475 times)

I run in the morning, and if I don't get out, then I feel fat, dumb and lazy all day. I REALLY hate taper weeks! Big grin
    vicentefrijole

I run in the morning, and if I don't get out, then I feel fat, dumb and lazy all day. I REALLY hate taper weeks! Big grin
      Yeah, I like to run in the morning for the same reason... for the rest of the day, it makes me feel like I've put in my "hard work". I find that if I run in the evening, I spend all day thinking "I should be running" and then I only get to enjoy the post-run feeling for a few hours before sleep. The next morning I still feel like I'm being a slacker! Silly mind-games... Big grin
        This started out as a personal goal of a particular 25K race before I turned 30 & I told everyone so that I couldn't back out. I accomplished that & now it has turned to an obsession. Of course, weight & general body toning is a big one, but the personal sense of accomplishment I get by running a certain distance on a day I didn't want to run, or running a personal best time are even more reasons for me. Also, there is the fact that I am as competitive as they come & can't stand to know that someone else is running longer distances or faster. Funny enough, I don't aspire to win any of the races I enter (people come from an ocean away, it just wouldn't be fair of me to beat them Wink ), but to do my personal best.
        So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
        Wingz

Professional Noob

it just wouldn't be fair of me to beat them Wink
          Yeah! That's a good excuse... I mean... Exactly why I let them win too! Smile

Roads were made for journeys...

runninggirl248

Big grin The thing that motivates me to run is running makes me feel good about myself. I used to have an eating disorder, but running helped me pull out of it and set my mind on something productive. I also love the feeling of absolute peace you get when you go on a long run, is anyone with me on that? Cool
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I also love the feeling of absolute peace you get when you go on a long run, is anyone with me on that? Cool
              Yeah...I totally hear that. 9 times out of 10 something will destroy my reverie, though...like the punk a month or so back who blasted an air-horn from his boat as I ran by a marina (I about lept outta my skin that time)! k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

I also love the feeling of absolute peace you get when you go on a long run, is anyone with me on that? Cool
                Long, short, medium, trail, you name it! Smile

Roads were made for journeys...

cmd

I feel like I have to get out and run for while everyday, otherwise my day feels slugish.
                    I missed my run yesterday (See thread about T storms) and didn't feel right all day. My wife could always find me at the computer looking at Weather Bug tracking storms to see if/when I could run.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Army Girl

I have been running for 4 months now and I have lost 15KG. Therefore my Motivation 2 keep me running is to maintain my weight and to get fitter. I need to run everyday,if I don't it makes me feel useless. Big grin
                      JakeKnight

I echo all of those above who said, in one way or another, that they run simply because they have to. That they just don't feel right if they don't - as someone described it, to avoid feeling "fat, dumb, and lazy" for the rest of the day. That's me in a nutshell. (Help, help, I'm in a nutshelll!) I don't know how it happened. Truth is, I never even liked running. I was into weight lifting and martial arts. Running was a side gig to build endurance and cardio, to sweat a little more. But somewhere along the way, it became an addiction. Actually, I know exactly when it happened: the day after running last year's Huntsville Marathon. I woke up ... and realized that I'd accidentally become a runner. Go figure. First time I ran a marathon, I cursed for a week and didn't run another step for years. After Huntsville, I was back on the road 3 days later - and I had to make myself take those 3 days off. At this point, running is actually starting to cut into other things: I don't lift as much as I used to; I just got back from a 15-miler that made me very, very late for work. But I had to. Didn't even had a choice. I'd just been forced (involuntarily) to take 3 days off, and it was miserable. Miserable. I didn't feel right. Fat, dumb, and lazy indeed. So there's my motivation - I just have to. Forever. And for someone who's had plenty of unhealthy addictions, it's awfully nice to have picked up this one. I'm blessed. Used to be I had to force myself out the door, I had to find that motivation. Today, I had to force myself to turn for home at mile 15 when I REALLY wanted to tack on another 3 miles. I never, ever thought I'd get to that point. I frickin' love it. I guess that's pretty motivating, too. Oh - and chicks dig it. Cool

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

I EXERCISE for most of the above reasons as well, but I RUN because it's so simple... no bike maintenance, chain cleaning, going to a specific place to do it, jumping into a freezing cold pool, etc. I can just put on my shoes and go, from anywhere and to anywhere.
                            Most of my running is based on goals that I set for myself. Like everything in life, if you have goals that you are targeting, it makes it much easier to move the legs forward rather than sit on the couch and just watch the TV. In addition, you have to have discipline on those days where you just don't feel like it. Go back, review your goals and ensure that you continue to buy into your original goals. But, running is not for everyone so if you are not motivated and it does not make you happy, look for a sport that does.
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But, running is not for everyone so if you are not motivated and it does not make you happy, look for a sport that does.
                              Yup, and if it doesn't make you happy, then it might be an issue of improper training. For many years I didn't like running (at least distances--I was an OK sprinter in HS), but I was going about it all wrong. I kept trying to run a mile or two non-stop right from the start. Then the shin splints would set in (I had this problem in HS when I had to go run with the distance people who were acclimated to running more than a mile here and there) and I would be frustrated and give up. I see SO many people who find that I am running and are happy for me, but will say that running just isn't for them--for many of the same reasons that I long said it wasn't for me. Then I found that Couch-to-5k program and discovered that the trick to making running work was to start s-l-o-w-l-y and very gradually build up to longer distances. This past Saturday I ran over 10.5 miles and it felt great! It took me 2 hours, but it was very liberating. I run slowly, but I generally don't feel pain, especially after a mile or two, once I am warmed-up and find my comfy pace. I'm never going to be *fast*, but I am already finding that my "easy" pace is getting gradually a bit quicker and for longer distances. Part of my motivation is to keep setting PRs for myself. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

I'm never going to be *fast* Smile k
                                Wanna bet? If you stick with that kind of training, and that kind of attitude, and maybe get in a little speedwork once a week (and I just peeked at your training log and see you're already doing regular fartlek workouts) ... I think you'll be a lot faster than you think. Maybe not Olympic speed, but faster than you can imagine now. A case of beer says that a year from today you're running that same 10.5 miles in under 1:40, easy. (It's a sucker's bet. Because I'll win. But I'd like a case of Corona, please. Big grin)

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                                -----------------------------