33rd Bidwell HM, Chico, CA (Read 479 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

Just got back from Chico and the Bidwell Half Marathon, a nice local event in a beautiful city park. First, I must say that this is THE Flattest Course EVER! Anyone looking for a fast half, this is your race. The course is two loops up and down a pretty little river valley. There aren't a lot of people, nor much in the way of crowd support, so what you mostly hear is the rushing river. And, for those of you who like to sleep in, how does a 9 am start time sound? Not to mention that with only a couple hundred runners and a race in a conveniently-located downtown park, you can get a room a few blocks away and casually stroll over around 8:30 or 8:45. If you like bling, well, there's no medal for this one, but there was a nice five-color tech tee (gender-specific cut, thank you very much), and some pretty good post-race munchies (I don't know what those whole-wheat, fruit-filled things were exactly, but I went back for thirds). Chico is a hip (OK, anything is hip compared to Fresno) college town, you might say it's "crunchy", if you know what I mean. There's a well-maintained, bicycle-friendly downtown, with enough art galleries, restaurants, etc to keep you busy pre- and post-race. The Cal State campus is downtown, so there are lots of college students, making the downtown an energetic place (but bring earplugs if you're a light sleeper). I stayed in a restored hotel just a few blocks away from the start/finish that was also within walking distance of almost everything in town that's of interest .. except the Sierra Nevada Brewery, which was worth a visit, although not the best brewery tour I've ever had (no samples!!). As for me, a little brag: the run was supposed to be just another training run for me en route to the OC Marathon in May, so I was trotting along gently, chatting with others as is my habit, and realized I was on a PR pace without trying - so for kicks I picked it up a little and got a nice 12 min PR. Maybe sleeping in suited me, or maybe it's that good water they put in their Sierra Nevada beer.... Arla

Ex runner

Sounds like a nice well put together and fun race. Congrats on the 12 min. PR. Super nice pace! Your log is very impressive, great work! Jewels
      But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
        Pancake flat or not, a twelve minute PR is damned impressive. I had to so some log stalking, and it held the same answer it always does. Miles, lots of miles. Great job cramming more than 200 miles into a 28 day month, and great job on your race. Congrats!

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Congratulations, Arla. You are doing an absolutely fantastic job with your running. Gosh, I'm so darn proud of you!! Big grin And yes, Chico is a great town to hang out in. I always love it when we have conferences there.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hi Arla -- BadDawg is right, your log tells the story of why you achieved a 12 minute PR. Awesome work you put into it and an awesome PR! Sounds like a really nice place to race too.
            Progress Trumps Pefection
            AnneCA

Sounds like a great race -- nice report, and congrats on the awesome PR!
                got a nice 12 min PR. Maybe sleeping in suited me, or maybe it's that good water they put in their Sierra Nevada beer.... Arla
                Nope....it's the training. Very nice training=very nice racing Congrats!
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

Nope....it's the training. Very nice training=very nice racing Congrats!
                  What Ev said........ hows that saying go??? You did it the old fashioned way you earned it! Good Job Arla Smile

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Way to Go Arla!!! Fanatastic job on your training and you get to see it pay off!! Sounds like a fun place to run!!! Sierra Nevada beer....mmmmmmm

xor

I never knew that Chico was a hip place. I've never been there either... but all I've ever heard were references to the state pen. I figured this would make Chico kind of an odd place like Huntsville TX. GREAT RUN ARLA!

Queen of 3rd Place

Hm, perhaps you're thinking about Chowchilla, home of the state penitentiary for women, a place you might enjoy Tongue Arla

Ex runner

xor

HA. I looked it up. Chico =/= Chino Chino.

Top 'O the World!

Very KewL! sounds like one of those "feet barely touching down" kinda days! Cool Congrats! Cindy
                            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                              So, being a native of Chico and someone who also ran the race, I just want everyone to know that while the course isn't half bad, the best places in Chico to run are in Upper Bidwell park. The next time you're there, enjoy the dirt paths and trails. Glad to hear Chico get good PR. Smile Thanks for the report.
                              xor

Plus, you don't have a state pen. Apologies for dissing your point of origin.