Is my heart rate normal? (Read 958 times)

I ran 24km today. My resting heart rate is 43. My max using one of the equations is 185. During my warm up my heart rate was c. 175. Thats usual for me, however gently I jog. Between 4km and 14km my heart rate fell and stayed below 100. At its lowest it was 52 and during that period was below 80 from 8 and 14k. From 14k to 24k it bounced around but averaged about 135 - which is what I expected it to be throughout. The course was flat and my pace was pretty constant at 8.15 minutes per mile throughout. HR and pace graph below. What I am wondering is what is going on with the low rate from 4-14km? The equipment I was using was the Garmin 405 + HRM. Sorry if this post is a little navel gazing but I am quite puzzled Confused
    BeeRunB

Is this your first time using a HRM? What you describe sounds like something is wrong in the transmission of data from your chest strap to your watch. Try cleaning everything well. What do you use for a conductive element on the strap (water, saliva, BuhBump, liquid soap?)? I suggest that you don't use a formula to determine your MHR. Try getting it from a hard set of intervals on track or hills, after warming up at least 45 minutes. Races are ideal to get it, if you can push as hard as you can down the stretch. --Jimmy
      wyerock

Your other workouts don't dip as low, but have similar trends. You also have a lot more hills than I do! Your HR on 3/3/09 looks normal except for the oscillations at the beginning. Do you have older workouts to compare to? How old is the battery in your HRM? Is it secure/tight? Make sure there's some moisture between the sensor pads and your chest when you start out.
          The kit is new - I got it for Christmas. I don't think there is a problem with the connection. I didn't appreciate the need for a conductive element - but there is always plenty of sweat! If I wear it now it works fine - HR is about 55. Also there are no wild swings; the transition on the graph is fairly smooth - so I think the results are real rather than random. I know I should test the max HR properly - I just hadn't got round to it. I didnt use the HRM much when I first got it so I haven't got earlier comparisons. I started wearing it recently as I wanted to get an idea of what HR I could sustain without hitting the wall on longer runs.
            Your other workouts don't dip as low, but have similar trends. You also have a lot more hills than I do! Your HR on 3/3/09 looks normal except for the oscillations at the beginning. Do you have older workouts to compare to? How old is the battery in your HRM? Is it secure/tight? Make sure there's some moisture between the sensor pads and your chest when you start out.
            The run on 3rd March I was deliberately trying to keep my HR at 135 - thats why its more steady.
            bap

My HRM does that too (Garmin) The best solution I've found is to smear tiger balm on my chest where the contacts are and put the HRM on as early as possible before my run. It won't be a problem in the summer as sweat will form a naturally conducive element).

Certified Running Coach
              Crocked since 2013

My HRM does that too (Garmin)
                Does what?
                wyerock

The HR graph you posted has two big drops down to 0 in the first 2 miles. The other workout has huge oscillations for the first mile. I think your HRM is making a poor connection until you're warmed up and probably sweatier. If its too loose, it could also start moving around after you're warmed up.
                  bap

Does what?
                    It give a false high reading during the first mile or so, depending on how cold it is. Once I start sweating it becomes more accurate. Other Garmin users say the same thing.

Certified Running Coach
                    Crocked since 2013

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

It give a false high reading during the first mile or so, depending on how cold it is. Once I start sweating it becomes more accurate. Other Garmin users say the same thing.
                      The sweat creates a better electrical contact with the sensor. Getting the sensor wet before the run should take care of that.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Getting the sensor wet should take care of that.
                        I appreciate the advice. Thanks.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

mikeymike

Normal is boring. Why do you want your heart rate to be normal? Be extraordinary.

Runners run

It give a false high reading during the first mile or so, depending on how cold it is.
                            Not necessarily a false high reading. when you start from a stop at the beginning of a workout; often your heart actually does go into a faster rhythm due to the sudden change in activity level then comes down once you are warmed up. this is exactly why a good warm up is essential, especially when racing or hard training because your heart and breathing won't need to make this huge adjustment. It is pretty normal to have your highest HR levels at the very beginning of the workout due to this heart aclimation effect. It is not a false reading, it is a true reading although it is not an acurate depiction of the rate that you would normally have, given the pace, once you are warmed up.
                            2010 Goals
                            Succesful pacing jobs at Shamrock (3:20)...
                            VTU 100 Ultramarathon - finish
                            at least 250 miles/mo., 3000+ miles for the year
                              Definitely something funky going on there with that graph. It's hard to believe (even possible?) that you could be running at a decent pace and have a heart rate between 80 and 100. Even gentle activity or walking should push your heart rate into this range - even if you're in terrific shape. I think it almost has to be something with the device, whether its bad connection, bad transmission, etc. I have no clue.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Not necessarily a false high reading. when you start from a stop at the beginning of a workout; often your heart actually does go into a faster rhythm due to the sudden change in activity level then comes down once you are warmed up.
                                True, but this graph clearly reflects something different. 175 solid instantly out of the gate is not likely, warm-up or not. The issue with false high readings due to contacts not being moist enough is a well-known issue. I happen to moisten my HRM strap with saliva if I don't have any water available. Crude, but effective. Just like Scout's mom.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.