X-train for beginning runners? (Read 1820 times)

hi Kerry... We finished week 3 on saturday and i'll be out the door in a couple of hours to start week 4. Smile I am loving this... My gf and I registered for the Princess 1/2 in March of next year and then we're going to try to do the marathon at the end of march next year.... i know big goals for only being in week 4 of the c25k. did you start out with the c25k too? and again thanks to everyone for all the great advice. Smile
    Thanks for the update - I'm doing a slightly different learn to run thing and I just finished week 2 this morning! Sunday will start week 3. I'm still trying to figure out how to fit the swimming in as I find the running easier in the morning but there's more swimming available near me in the evening. DH said he'd even come along once a week for the swim!

Sponsor me! I'm raising money for the Red Door Family Shelter at the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Half Marathon Oct 19, 2014

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

zzz

swim... It'll help your breathing and core for running. also if you ever decide to do a tri you'll have a good starting point.
      that's a great point... i would love to tri once i get this running thing down.... i am not a strong swimmer (upper body strength soso) but I have heard from a lot of people that swimming is best... tonight i went to dinner with some friends and one of the people there, whom I just met tonight, is a life guard at the Y where I have a membership.... tomorrow I am volunteering to judge bochi (sic?) ball for a special olympics fund raiser and it's also a run day... sunday i am going to hit the Y for a swim.... Wink
        I wouldn't follow the advice of "more running" for a beginning runner. I'm currently recovering from a stress fracture caused (I think) by too many miles too soon. Right now I'm running 3 days a week with 2 days of cross training. I will probably add a 3rd day of cross training soon swapped with an occasional 4th day of running. A good book which I'm somewhat following is "Run Less Run Faster" by Bill Pierce, Scott Murr, and Ray Moss. This book promotes the idea of running 3 quality runs per week (speed work, tempo, long run) supplemented by quality (and intensive) cross training. The book does not recommend ellipticals, however, since they are load-bearing devices which simulate running. Rather, non load-bearing training is recommended such as swimming, stationary cycling (spinning), and rowing. This gives the legs a well-deserved rest while increasing aerobic capacity and strengthening other muscles. Nick