Question for whoever's in the know about itchy legs (Read 1997 times)

After running this morning, I had an incredible attack of "itchy legs" in the shower. I've never experienced this before, and I'd appreciate it if anyone knows what that was, and how I can prevent it. Let me know what you got.

Big Chicken!

I had the very same question and no one knew the answer. The most I got was possibly lactic acid and a reaction in your body chemistry. The 3 people (DH, a runner; a gym employee and a med tech) I asked thought I was nuts. Glad to know I am not! Anyone really know the answer?
      Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!

50 halfs by age 50

My daughter has cholinergic urticaria where she will occasionally break out in hives when she overheats (fun for a soccer player Wink) Even when she doesn't have actual hives she often gets itchy in a hot shower. It was scary the first couple times it happened but now she just takes a Benadryl when she feels a bad outbreak coming on.

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

Think Whirled Peas

After running this morning, I had an incredible attack of "itchy legs" in the shower. I've never experienced this before, and I'd appreciate it if anyone knows what that was, and how I can prevent it. Let me know what you got.
          How cold is it where you run? Was it windy? I have this problem occasionally when it's cold and/or windy out and I don't have clothes on to protect me from the wind. It seems like a "wind burn" that itches like crazy for about twenty minutes after a run for me. It's usually on my legs (at least until I got a pair of decent running pants) and on my chest/rather rotund belly. Again, properly outfitted w/a wind breaker I don't have any problems. Only other thing I could think of would be a reaction of some sort to what you're wearing, assuming you've got pants on as opposed to shorts...

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

I don't know what it is, but I have something similar (for me it's torso/neck, rather than legs) after every single run - mad itching and huge hives that last about 10-15mins. It seems to be related to how hot I am and it sometimes feels like I'm allergic to my own sweat - so Chimera's suggestion about cholinergic urticaria sounds spot on. I don't know how to prevent it, but it always goes away quickly and doesn't cause any lasting problems.

Big Chicken!

I don't know about Alan, but I don't get hives. Just some itching after I have finished the run. No redness either. Not dependent on whether I am wearing shorts or pants nor is it temperature related. Just weird.
              Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!
                You don't say where you are from, but if it's somewhere cold you likely have dry skin from the dry winter air. The hot water just makes it more noticeable. Tom
                Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I've gotten that on really cold/windy days when I was dressed almost, but not quite, well enough. I assumed it was an almost getting ready to pre introduce itself case of frostbite.
                    If you think your itchy legs are bad, check this out (don't even ask how I found it) Poison Ivy Rash Hall of Fame ...yes, it's disgusting, but you know you want to at least peek at it
                      That site was awesome! The really "juicy" ones are about how I get when I touch P.I. - i am VERY ALLERGIC.....I can almost hear my mom coming down the hallway with a needle and some bleach(actually is a really good remedy despite how it may sounds!)
                        It may just simply be dry skin combined with the cold conditions outside. I used to get really dry in the winter and someone suggested to me to get a bottle of baby oil and apply it in the shower, then rinse it off. Made a huge difference in my skin texture in a few weeks and even apply it now to my feet.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

obiebyke

That site is the most disgusting thing I have ever seen in my life. That, or the photo of the subway snot rocket. Why do I look at these things? Why?

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

I used to get the same thing! It happened when I ran and only on the tops of my legs from my knees up. It went away after I'd cooled down and my breathing was down to normal. When I'd bike I got it on my arms near my elbows. Haven't had it in a long time though. It's not like I'm blisteringly fast or live in the cold but I SWEAR it was wind burn. Abt the poison ivy. I spent the first 27 years of my life not allergic to poison ivy. After hurricane Wilma came through S. FL I went to do some hurricane clean-up with the agency I work for and inadvertantly got exposed to poisonwood which is related to poison sumac and poison oak. Man o' man was that horrible. 4 weeks and 2 courses of powerful steroids later I still had huge black streaks and blisters on my legs. Ever since then all I have to do is walk by poison ivy and I'm in for it. I have to be super careful about where I walk and what I touch. It gets a little worse each time.
                            Rachel

Just Be

This might sound like a silly question, but how long had it been since you had taken a shower last or washed your legs well? Chemicals in sweat can sometimes react with bacteria on your skin, causing itching. I can try to find a source to back this claim up if you want, I can't remember where I heard it, but I've noticed that sometimes when I sweat a lot and haven't washed my hair for a day my head starts itching sometimes. Just my 2 cents.
                                That site is the most disgusting thing I have ever seen in my life. That, or the photo of the subway snot rocket. Why do I look at these things? Why?
                                lol. thanks for the warning