Take this cold and shove it! (Read 1034 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So it has been a week of this cold bug/random virus. Started with a mild sore throat that has steadily been nagging me. A little bit of sinus issues, but mostly just the throat. During the day my head is pretty clear, but at night my nose stuffs-up and then I end up breathing through my mouth, which makes my throat scream. So last night I thought it might be a good idea to take some NyQuil before bed...the generic stuff that still has Pseudophedrine in it. BIG mistake. I was like this until about 4AM --> Needless to say I am postponing my run until tomorrow, since I have found that little sleep = really bad run. Anyhow, usually I get over colds faster than this. I don't think it's a sinus infection, either, as I usually feel MUCH worse with those (like my head is going to explode and constant coughing). This is my first cold bug since I started running last Spring. Could running be causing my symptoms to linger? My last 3 runs were all during less-than-ideal weather conditions (wind, snow, cold, dry air). I'm kind of wondering if the harsh conditions have served to further irritate my throat and respiratory tract. Any thoughts, suggestions...? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I've been using a neti pot (wikipedia entry) every day for the last three months to irrigate my sinuses. I've had progressively worse allergies for the past ten years, and this is the only thing that has ever worked for me - I've probably taken every medicine in the book short of getting shots. It's cheap, no drugs are involved, and best of all - I can breathe through my nose and smell everything! And I never get sinus headaches or post-nasal drip anymore. When I got a cold a few weeks ago, I kept using it and it was the first time I've ever been able to breathe through my nose through the course of a cold. It was actually kind of fun using my neti pot every morning and night and seeing all the crap I could blow out of my nose. It definitely helped me get better faster, though.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I was just telling my hubby the other day that I should try that. I know a couple of people who really swear by them...I just fear I would somehow inhale the water or something--I'm really clumsy like that, LOL! Yeah...allergies...ugh! Mine came along with puberty and have gotten worse over the past 20 years. I think a lot of my sore throat issues are due to sneezing--I think this erratic warm-cold-warm weather (welcome to Winter in MI) is to blame. I'm guessing there is some mold at work. Would I find a neti pot at any health food store, or would a drugstore maybe carry them? k

~ Sarah Kay

I just use a sinucleanse pot (Sinucleanse - get a coupon!) that I got from a CVS. It comes with little premade packets of salt & baking soda, and after you run out you can just use kosher/pickling salt and your own baking soda if you want instead of buying their $8 boxes of premixed stuff. Some health food stores have them too. I found using it the first time to be kind of weird (but not hard), but you get the hang of it pretty quickly and it actually becomes soothing. The most important thing to get down is the head positioning, and you'll know when you screw up - you'll either be swallowing water or dripping it down your face. You might also be pouring too fast and that'll make your head hurt. Give it a try!
          vicentefrijole

So last night I thought it might be a good idea to take some NyQuil before bed...the generic stuff that still has Pseudophedrine in it. BIG mistake. I was like this until about 4AM -->
            I'm just now getting over my cold! I woudn't tell you not to run, but maybe take it a little easy? For me, if I'm training really hard I've noticed that my immune system tends to be a little less strong (I get sick easier and stay sick longer). But that may be because I tend to run longer at the expense of my sleep time (not a good idea). One thing is for certain, if you have a fever, do not run (your body won't be able to regulate your temp properly... could be dangerous). Otherwise, I usually try to take at least a few days off and then resume running towards the end of my cold.. sometimes the running helps me clear up some of that congestion (really gets the blood pumping). I have that same reaction to Pseudophedrine... I avoid it now because it makes me too jumpy! Shocked This shouldn't be a surpise since it's chemically related to amphetimines (which is why it's used to make Meth). I'm pretty sure brand-name NyQuil contains a different decogestant (doesn't give me problems, anyways). I also use Afrin sometimes (can't remember the drug name) (and over-the-counter nasal inhaler), which really clears up your nose. However, it makes me feel a little wierd (too dry?) and if you use it for more than 3 days it can make things worse, I guess. Basically none of those over-the-counter medicines will "cure" you, of course, they just make you feel better (or at least numb your senses a little bit) so you can sleep... and sleep seems to be something that actually helps me bet better! I've long suffered from allergies and sinusitis and am therefore susceptible to respiratory viruses and (eventually) sinus infections, so I'm very interested in these nasal irrigation methods (Sinucleanse/Neti pot)... My sister-in-law just had one "prescribed" by her doctor and it's good to hear that you all have had good experiences with them too. I think I'll have to check it out. Keep us posted on how it works for you guys! Maybe we can form a nasal irrigation user group (ahaha.. just kidding). Big grin
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Maybe we can form a nasal irrigation user group (ahaha.. just kidding). Big grin
              *chokes* Big grin I haven't been training hard at all, so I don't *think* I'm experiencing that immune suppression thing. I think it's maybe more weather-related, since a few other people I've talked to said they have been dealing with chronic sinus and throat issues for the past few weeks. I think I should look for the reformulated NyQuil if you've had luck with it and have similar experience with pseudopedrine-containing products (as a kid they didn't have this effect on me). Hubby usually just buys the generic stuff, but it's not worth the $ savings if it makes me feel like I've taken speed or something.... The neti pot is still looking attractive, too, as it would be nice to go more than a year without a bad sinus infection...I'm already on year-round Allegra to try and help head them off. k

~ Sarah Kay

Prophet!

i have pretty bad allergies, which a lot of time for some reason turns into colds..if somebody within 10 ft of me has a cold, chances are i'll get it. But most of the time they'll last 1 to 2 weeks..with running my last cold lasted about 4 - 5 weeks..have you ever tried Thera Flu...most of the time it works for me and its nice and hot and sooths the throat.
                vicentefrijole

*chokes* Big grin I haven't been training hard at all, so I don't *think* I'm experiencing that immune suppression thing. I think it's maybe more weather-related, since a few other people I've talked to said they have been dealing with chronic sinus and throat issues for the past few weeks. I think I should look for the reformulated NyQuil if you've had luck with it....
                  yeah, that makes sense... and if you're contstantly around sick people (and everyone is right now), you're going to get sick (no matter if you're running or not). Maybe take a multi-vitamin too? I don't believe in any single vitamin (like Vit C) giving an immune "boost", but I think a multivitamin can help give you the stuff you might be missing from your diet (especially since it's hard to eat much when you're sick). And when I say I like NyQuil, I just mean that it helps me sleep (or at least it helps me pass out.. I'm not sure if it's sleep or just a coma). It doesn't make me better... Tongue
                  vicentefrijole

..have you ever tried Thera Flu...most of the time it works for me and its nice and hot and sooths the throat.
                    I used to use that stuff all the time (more recently switched to NyQuil). The hot-steamy part of it is really nice and you can get it in a night-time form that will put you to sleep. It tastes TERRIBLE, but if you add a lot of honey to it, it's just barely tolerable. No matter what you take (or don't take), try to drink a LOT of fluids (soup, tea, OJ, whatever). Lots of fluids will keep your nose running (which is better than it clogging, leading to a sinus infection). Hope you feel better very soon! Big grin
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And when I say I like NyQuil, I just mean that it helps me sleep (or at least it helps me pass out.. I'm not sure if it's sleep or just a coma). It doesn't make me better... Tongue
                      Well, hell, I'll just start making hot toddies before bed, then! Tongue And I can't help but be around virus carrying people a bit...I have a kindergartener and I take him to and from school, so I probably come in contact with a lot of nasties! What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right? I am good about multivitamins, though. I got in the habit of that pretty much when I first started college in the early 90s--UW-O had some really awful food with all the nutrients cooked out of it. Steve, I had forgotten about Thera-Flu...heck, just hot lemon tea with honey would probably be a help...you know, with some liquor (like that hot tody, tee hee).... I think I'm going to have a nice mug of tea before bed tonite. Maybe it's time to make some killer chili, too, I always find that eating spicey foods on a regular basis seems to keep me healthy. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hope you feel better very soon! Big grin
                        That's the really annoying part--I don't really feel sick much at all during the day, but the throat pain is taking a toll on my sleep (which makes me irritable and tired...blah). I even gargled salt water last night without it helping much. Man, being sick-but-not-really-sick is more frustrating than just plain being sick...if that makes any sense. Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

In addition to the neti pot recommendation I'll make to everyone (again and again and again - this is one of the few things I swear by), I will add my (non-drinking) mom's suggestion of drinking scotch. I am sure this is not medically sound advice, but yeah - it helps me sleep. I found with my last cold that some good tequila (the sipping kind, not what you'd throw in a margarita) works well too. Shy

Finished!

Keep us posted on how it works for you guys! Maybe we can form a nasal irrigation user group (ahaha.. just kidding). Big grin
                            Alright, The headache I've had since mid November definitely is taking on sinus headache characteristics (tho I haven't heard back from the dr on the CT scan yet). I went and bought a neti pot this afternoon and gave it a try. 1) it was very strange 2) the side that is giving me pains was definitely harder to irrigate indicating (to me anyhow) that indeed the sinus on that side was definitely more packed 3) it seems I've managed to loosen things up (pressure gone) though now it feels like I have to blow my nose a lot. Unfortunately it's feeling like the HPA (high pollution advisory) moved in early as now I'm wheezy with asthma.
                            Walk + Jog = wog.
                            I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                            I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I found with my last cold that some good tequila (the sipping kind, not what you'd throw in a margarita) works well too. Shy
                              People sip tequila...? I seriously had no clue. I've always thought it a liquor for mixed drinks (LOVE my 'ritas on the rocks) or shots. Probably because I've never bought a $$ tequila. Sprite, I hope your allergies can be kept at bay. I know how miserable it is just to do household chores when allergies are acting up. Running is really miserable during those times. k

~ Sarah Kay

2) the side that is giving me pains was definitely harder to irrigate indicating (to me anyhow) that indeed the sinus on that side was definitely more packed 3) it seems I've managed to loosen things up (pressure gone) though now it feels like I have to blow my nose a lot. Unfortunately it's feeling like the HPA (high pollution advisory) moved in early as now I'm wheezy with asthma.
                                Yeah, the first few times you use it you'll be blowing your nose a lot because there's lots of stuff stuck in it. You might even get water falling out of your nose at an inopportune time. Also, if you're stuffed up on one side, try doing the other side first. I always seem to have more crap stuck up my left nostril. I end up using my neti pot 2-3 times a day because it's very polluted and dry. Yeah, sipping tequiila! It's generally made from 100% agave nectar and aged in oak barrels for a while. There are lots of different brands though my standbys are the Patron Reposado and Patron Anejo. While you could definitely throw it in a margarita they have lots of flavor all to themselves or with a little salt.