What constitutes a run during a running streak? (Read 1244 times)

Scout7

Idiots, the lot of you. It is an opinion thread. JK stated his. Considering those organizations are not exactly given some sort of certification by the Weights and Measures board, I'd say their definition is based on the creators' opinion of what constitutes a streak. At least JK stated the rationale behind his opinion, and I would consider it valid, or at least as valid as any other rationale that has been thrown out. My opinion: who effing cares? What do YOU call a streak? If you can match your definition, then right on. In the end, that's all that matters. Not the opinions of a bunch of nitwits on the Internet. Christ in a race car, you people can get worked up over some of the most inane things.
      So basically... If you want to consider it streaking for some aerobic benefit then three miles would be the minimum... ...but if you want to consider it streaking to run everyday then 1 mile is the minimum. I get it. I run everyday and average just at three miles a day. I don't run three miles everyday, but that is my average. Lastly...I find it funny that someone gets on here calling people "idiots" and "nitwits" and criticizes people for getting worked up over inane things...when that person did the exact same thing. Hello Mr. Kettle, I am Mr. Pot...you are black.
        Actually, I dont think this thread is asking for opinion. Given that there is an official running streak organization that governs what actually does constitute a streak then this thread is asking for a fact. And the fact is that to have a streak you must run one mile a day. Besides, with 3-4 miles arent you being just a bit elitist? What about those people that cant run 4 miles at a time yet, but still do 1-2 miles every day. From what you are saying, since they arent doing 3-4 miles, they are therefore not runners, and if they go every day they are streakers as well.
        The thread is not asking for opinions? Perhaps you didn't read the OP?
        Just curious to see what ppl would count as a run if trying to run everyday for a running streak
        Seems pretty clear to me. The running streak organization does not "govern" they simply maintain a list based on someone's opinion. The only factual information in your post is that you have given your opinion.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Lastly...I find it funny that someone gets on here calling people "idiots" and "nitwits" and criticizes people for getting worked up over inane things...when that person did the exact same thing.
          You'll have to excuse Scout. He has a lot on his plate these days but we are taking wagers on the date when he finally snaps.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Scout7

Lastly...I find it funny that someone gets on here calling people "idiots" and "nitwits" and criticizes people for getting worked up over inane things...when that person did the exact same thing. Hello Mr. Kettle, I am Mr. Pot...you are black.
            I stand by my assertions. Because I know many of people involved in the conversation, and they are, in fact, idiots and nitwits. For reference, I point to Thunder's Challenge in the 200o mile group. If you're even semi-smart, you won't go to find out what I'm referring to. Trust me, this isn't worked up, this is merely pointing out the bleeding obvious. Because someone has to. Oh, and for the record, I'm Caucasian. German, I believe, but there might be some Irish or English mixed in there somewhere.
            JakeKnight

Told you some folks wouldn't like it. Independent thought sucks. Opinions should be based on what some random website tells you, apparently.
              Actually, I dont think this thread is asking for opinion.
              Seriously? Bonkin already posted it, but here's the original post again:
              Just curious to see what ppl would count as a run if trying to run everyday for a running streak ( Evil grin not that kind of streak but rather ## days in a row....).
              "Just curious what people would count as ..." How exactly do you more explicitly ask for individual opinions? Then there's the fact that I wasn't even replying to that post - I was replying to this one:
              Why 4? or 3? Just curious...
              "Why?" seemed pretty clear to me.
              Given that there is an official running streak organization that governs what actually does constitute a streak then this thread is asking for a fact. And the fact is that to have a streak you must run one mile a day.
              So let me make sure I got this: whatever some "official" organization decides is how you choose your opinions? Seriously? Even when it really doesn't make a lick of sense? Okay ... what if I start a NEW organization and we say it takes two miles. Is it 2 miles now? Or do I need to have more members first? No. Wait. What if the old organization changes it from 1 to 2? Will your opinion change, too. Seriously? More comparison time: for example, most combat sports - boxing, mixed martial arts - have more than one governing organization. Some of them have very different rules. If someone asks "Just curious to see what people count as fair tactics in a fight?" ... what do I tell the guy? Or does my head explode since I can't give my personal opinion? Or how's this: I hate Bob Dylan. I always thought he was a whiny over-rated weenie. But he won a few zillion awards and every music critic on the planet thinks he's God. Now if somebody asked "Just curious to see who people count as the best recording artists ever ...?" do I have to include Dylan on my list? Even though - in my personal opinion - he ain't? I guess I do. It's official and stuff. Oh. And by the way - no offense, but that "official organization" you cite as the final authority on this question? It has a grand total of 227 members. You really think 227 strangers on the Internet "govern" something for the other 6 billion of us? That's it. I'm getting 228 people and starting my own club. And we're saying 3 miles. So there. Plus, we'll have free beer and girls in bikinis. Your organization is going down. Now we govern, baby.
              And the fact is that to have a streak you must run one mile a day.
              Nope. The fact is that a tiny handful of people who set up a little website say so. That's all.
              Besides, with 3-4 miles arent you being just a bit elitist?
              Well, I can't be an elitist prick without being a little elitist now and then, can I?
              What about those people that cant run 4 miles at a time yet, but still do 1-2 miles every day. From what you are saying, since they arent doing 3-4 miles, they are therefore not runners, and if they go every day they are streakers as well.
              There's this new thing called "reading" and it really, really helps to use it when you're debating something. Even something this silly. Because if you tried that reading thing, you'd have seen this:
              3 miles is also - again, my opinion - about the minimum for a run to have much meaning, unless you're running really, really slowly.
              And if that wasn't clear enough, this too!
              Thus, 3 miles. Or more. Okay, maybe even 2 if you're running 13-14 minute miles. But its gotta hit 20-25 minutes a day.
              Was that not clear? I need an editor. Where's Lank?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

JakeKnight

Lastly...I find it funny that someone gets on here calling people "idiots" and "nitwits" and criticizes people for getting worked up over inane things...when that person did the exact same thing. Hello Mr. Kettle, I am Mr. Pot...you are black.
                Pssst. Scout was joking. Sort of. In a Scoutish way. I mean, yeah, he thinks you're all idiots. But not in a bad way. He just gets like that when he's fed after midnight. And I've seen a picture. He's not very black.

kcam

It doesn't matter we think constitutes a run to continue a streak. It only matters what you think. Personally, I'd take anything over 0.1 mile (my training log has a 0.25 mile run logged in it - and I don't give a hoot about maintaining a running streak).
                    The equivalent of once-around-the-block, so maybe a half-mile or so. Once you move out of sight of your front door, its a run. But for records purposes, you have to follow the rules of the record keeper. If the record keeper says a mile, then its a mile or you don't qualify for their record book. Official, non-official, it doesn't matter. I don't recall that the entire population of the planet Earth ever voted to place the publishers of the Guinness Book of World Records in charge of things like consecutive hours on a trampoline. But if you want in their book, you follow their rules nonetheless.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Scout7

I rest my case.
                      JakeKnight

But for records purposes, you have to follow the rules of the record keeper. If the record keeper says a mile, then its a mile or you don't qualify for their record book.
                        Yup. If the question were: hey, what do the 227 members of an Internet website that fancies itself the United States Streaking Something Something count as a streak if I want to join them? The answer is: 1 mile. But if the question is: what do you people count as a streak? Then answers will vary. At least until the Global Running Streak Domination Society (GRSDS) sets up its new website and takes over. We won't permit any backtalk on our rules.
                        It doesn't matter we think constitutes a run to continue a streak. It only matters what you think. Personally, I'd take anything over 0.1 mile (my training log has a 0.25 mile run logged in it - and I don't give a hoot about maintaining a running streak).
                        Seems a little elitist. What if you can only run 0.05 miles?

Oh Mighty Wing

Dear Gorilla, Just so you know those 227 people do not represent the whole population of streakers... they are just the population who have/had a streak of at least 365 days. You have to get a year in to join. (this was not said to provoke any lashing. I was just merely just letting you know) Quotes and Smilies and Crap, Shan
                          mikeymike

4.1 miles. So sayeth me.

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

this cracks me up

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

JakeKnight

4.1 miles. So sayeth me.
                                Elitist. The GRSDS says 4. What if you can't do 4.1?