Long runs = funny taste in mouth...what is that? (Read 2739 times)

I vote for blood -- I taste it usually when the weather gets colder. The main component of hemoglobin is iron = metalic taste. Hard efforts or cold air can burst small capillaries in your throat (cold = capillaries in your throat expand to warm air, much like in the nasal passages). Heavy breathing in and out brings some of it onto your tongue. Edited to say: it seems to go away after a while -- maybe my body adjusts? ...or I learn to start breathing through my nose again when the air is cold?
      i ran the mile in gym today, wasnt trying or anything, but on the 3rd lap i tasted that metallicy taste, then in my next period class i had a nose bleed, so im definately thinking you are getting a backup of blood coming from somewhere -Holland

"Our workouts are longer than our shorts" SHS XC 2008

subs

Ok- here's a question for your question on this old thread. WHERE do you run? When I run along highways/near traffic I get a terrible taste in my mouth from the traffic. You running in the woods or along a busy road?
        subs

also- if your pee is dark and you have terrible aches- then you could have a rare metabolic disorder in which you can't process carbs, but that is very, very unlikely the issue.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Gastroesophageal Reflux.
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Years ago, I experienced this. I asked someone who had a lot of training knowledge what he thought, and he suggested I not carry my keys in my mouth.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Folks, to develop ketones, your body has got to have no ability to metabolize sugars / carbs or have no carbs left in your body. This is very very hard to do with a normal diet and while taking gatorade or other carb-containing food & drink while running. Unless you have diabetes. But ketosis from diabetes does not get better when you stop running. Unless you have diabetes or are on a strict Adkins diet, this is not likely ketosis.
                Dr. Trent, are you saying I have diabetes?? At the end of some of my runs, I would smell acetone if I exhale through my nose. It happened more frequently when I first started running. The odor came back recently as I try to ramp back up after my injuries. Thoughts?

Double IPA Please!

I sometimes smell ammonia after a hard run.. Clowning around I thought it was just me and one of my oddities.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Dr. Trent, are you saying I have diabetes?? At the end of some of my runs, I would smell acetone if I exhale through my nose. It happened more frequently when I first started running. The odor came back recently as I try to ramp back up after my injuries. Thoughts?
                    Check your urine for ketones. They sell ketone testers at most drug stores. If you have them, you need to take in more carbs and possibly check your blood sugar. If you don't, then what smells to you as acetone may not actually be.
                    Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Check your urine for ketones. They sell ketone testers at most drug stores. If you have them, you need to take in more carbs and possibly check your blood sugar. If you don't, then what smells to you as acetone may not actually be.
                      I brought this up with my doctor back in 2003 (when I started training for my first marathon). I was somewhat concerned about the smell because I know the metabolic pathways that produced ketones. He did a glucose check, along with cholesterol and all that wholesome goodness. Everything came back normal except for an elevated CO2 count. No idea what that was about because the blood was drawn some 12 hours after my last run.
                      Hannibal Granite

On a semi-serious note - have you considered that the chewing gum might be the problem? After sixteen miles, I'd guess the gum wouldn't be tasting too fresh. Tight lipped
                        I chew gum when I run and the taste goes away, but it isn't replaced with a new taste. On very long runs (2 1/2 hrs +) the gum sometimes starts to dissentegrate, which is a bit disgusting, but still doesn't produce any new tastes.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

That taste in your mouth is caused by something called post exercise ketosis. Whenever you run low on carbohydrates, like near the end of a long run, your liver is forced to produce glucose from lactic acid and proteins instead of from carbohydrates. To produce energy for this process called gluconeogenesis, the liver burns fat and a byproduct of that process is ketones. These ketones are used throughout the body and are excreted in the urine and in the breath. It is a completely normal occurrence and will disappear as soon as you replenish your carbohydrates. That is the reason for the popular 4:1 carb to protein ratio recovery foods that you hear about all the time like chocolate milk and yogurt. Tom

Double IPA Please!

what about the smell of ammonia Clowning around?

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

what about the smell of ammonia Clowning around?
                              I have that too, although I always thought it smelled more like chlorine. But ammonia would describe it.
                              Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
                                An ammonia smell in your sweat is a normal occurrence and comes from the breakdown of amino acids. This produces nitrogen as a byproduct which when excreted in your sweat combines with hydrogen to produce ammonia. It will be more pronounced if you are dehydrated or have a lot of protein in your diet. The following link explains it pretty well even though it's from Runner's World. Wink Why this strong smell of ammonia? Tom