Looks like I am benched for a long, long, 'Oh so long' time (Trent - advice would be peachy!) (Read 1247 times)

Swadvad

What a bummer! Sorry about the slow healing. You need to find something to focus on between now and May. How is your writing going? Maybe you can write about running. Wink

Finished!

oh Claire, I'm so sorry to hear the news Sad Huge hugs to you - keep us posted on that 2nd opinion!
      Walk + Jog = wog.
      I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
      I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry

Now that was a bath...

Abby - whilst the crutches got me a cleaner - there was absolutely no change in my bone at all after that four weeks so I don't think that I would want to give it a try again. I will push for the bone stimulator I think, BUT I have decided to go ahead with the Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy. In fact I am having it today in about 8 hours. I decided that the only risk is pain. It's free and non invasive and all recent studies seem to show that it is very effective. Plus you find out within the first few weeks whether or not is is working - so if it doesn't I can move on and get that bone stimulator whilst musing over surgery options! Have to rush - sorry I can't get back to everyone! My kids need to get ready for school. I'll update after the treatment. Claire xxx
      • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
      • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Along for the Ride

Good luck Claire! I'll be sending good vibes ... Smile

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Ditto that. Good luck. Hope this works for you. Sara
              Good luck ,Claire Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

Imminent Catastrophe

Best of luck with your healing. Just don't do a JakeKnight and disappear, OK? BTW just curious, do you take calcium?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dog-Love

Hey Clair...get better rest that leg....start out slow...just enjoy running when you can start again and then see where it takes you. I don't know you but I don't want you off the boards. Sometimes when Scout posts something serious (like nudelparties are spaghetti feeds), I think...where is Clair to add that flair!
                  Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Now that was a bath...

Awwwwww, thanks everyone. Big grin That was an interesting afternoon! By the time we got into the treatment room I was feeling pretty stressed. I could hear the machine from the waiting room which didn't help. About every half second a loud bang would remind me why I was there. The man had the bedside manner of an overflowing toilet. He did nothing to calm me at all. He started with pointing out that he had scheduled me last as he didn't want the other people waiting to be put off with me shouting. He said 'We save non-unions for the end of the day. They are incredibly painful.' Ummm, thanks. So thoughtful to tell me that! Then he moved on to a 20 minute discourse which switched between stroking his own ego(I have a 98% success rate with this treatment within 3 months - you know, the I am God type of talk) and telling me over and over again that this was going to really hurt. He should know, he tried it on his own elbow when that was injured and he informed my husband and me in a loud voice that it was a pain like you couldn't describe. Really bad. Ummm, thanks again! So by now I am sweating with anxiety and being prodded lots whilst he perused the CT scan results. 'Does it hurt here?' 'Only when you push on it really hard - like that' Mother fecker. I was practically shaking when he got me on the bed and brought over the machine. The first impact (it feels like a hammer banging your bone) caused me to pull my leg away and swear. After that he had to hold my leg in place and there we stayed for the next 30 minutes. The impacts came on a cyclical scale and went from painful to pure hate. He kept asking me to rate the pain on a scale from 1 - 10. I reckon it was about a 6-7 - it felt pretty similar to being 6 - 7 cm dilated during childbirth Tongue. The great news is I get to do it all again next week! Freaking Yippee! Roll eyes The bloke was a bit of a pratt and my husband got annoyed because he said when I screamed, the Doctor would look at John and give him a big smile. Allegedly the pain is relative to how bad your fracture is. If you don't scream he only gives you one treatment. I lucked out. It hurt - I get at least two. Trent - you are not allowed to mention the word 'quack' in your response as I have to feel that this is working or I may give up the will to live. Claire xxx Oh and yes - I am overdosing daily on calcium Smile
                  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Dog-Love

OMG I would be ODing on something stronger than Calcium! I won't say the quack word because I am not a real doctor, but geeezzzz what the heck are they doing to you???? I think you are doing the right thing if you think you are doing the right thing/!!!! I am always the mom, eh? I think Alaskans and NewZealanders are the only one awake right now.. What a crazy experience you must be having getting all that pain induced. Only 3 more weeks and you get to have more of the same!
                      Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                        Gee, Claire, you are being very polite - " bit of a pratt" ? Tongue ((((hugs))) and sending you healing vibes - I hope this works, or at least helps. So sorry that it is so painful. How long after the 2nd treatment until they know if it has helped?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Arghhh...what an asshat! I'm sorry that he was such a creep. I hope the treatment works, though...maybe this is a case of "no pain, no gain." If not, you have my permission to kick him where it hurts. (((Claire)))

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Another Passion

Sorry about the pain and pain in the arse that inflicted it. I pray the treatment is effective for you though, Claire! Hang in there!! Wink

Rick
                            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Finished!

goodness, LOL - Mother fecker Smile I think I would have decked him - but here's to hoping the treatment proves successful!
                              Walk + Jog = wog.
                              I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                              I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
                                Claire, Sorry to hear your story. And that you get to repeat it!!! I think it is worth a shot. I mean as miserable as it sounds, its only 30 mins (or an hour together). And surgery wont exactly be pain free. (Though at least the actual surgery wont hurt!!! And hopefully your doc would have at least half-decent bedside manner before and when you wake up.) I just found out it looks like I have a non-union\non-healed stress fx also. (I kept telling my docs something wasnt right. First they tried to tell me it was muscular, though I knew it wasnt. Then they told me it would get better as soon as I was off my feet. I believed that one was true. But it wasnt. Then they tried to tell me it was muscular again. Uhm, I dont think so. Turns out the x-rays agree with me. Damn it!) I would definately be willing to try it, as miserable as it sounds. Also talking about forteo (aka teriparatide - you might want to ask about it) and a bone stimulator. But I just got go the diagnosis on the bus home this afternoon so havent really had a chance to talk or figure out a plan.