Camping and Running (Read 878 times)

I'm talking a 2 month long camping trip to Alaska this summer and am just now starting to plan the packing. We are limited in space, so I will only be able to bring a few running things, and will have to wash and dry them.. I was just wondering what to put the wet clothes in, until I can wash them. A garbage bag? ( We're road tripping, and I may not get a chance to wash them until we settle to the next location , hours later ) Also, what sould I wash them with? I;ll be hand washing/rinsing. Planning this trip is a nightmare, and I need to get as many runs in as I can,and hopefully I won't get eaten by a Grizzly. Hoping someone else out there has experience running while on an extended camping journey....

- Anya

Sounds like a fun trip! For the laundry - a plastic garbage bag would work fine. I've also used the large size zip-lock for sweaty running clothes before. Smaller - plus you can see what's in each bag without digging around. Regarding bears - don't leave food in the tent.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Remeber not to leave your cloths too long in a plastic bag they will mildew and grow nice black mold. Well maybe that was only cotton. I did that last year when we went to the beach. My cloths got wet in the ocean, I threw them in a plastic bag and when I got them out a week later at home I had some nasty black mold growing that I couldn't get out. Just word of caution.

The Greatest of All Time

Take your food and hang it in a tree far away from your tent. A hungry bear is not a pleasant thing to have poking through your tent or camp site.
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            Good ideas! Thanks. We're actually going in a truck camper ( the camper sits in the bed of the truck ) We're bringing a dual purpose motorcycle. I plan to have him ride shotgun next to me , if we're in bear country. We'll see.. I feel like we're going to Jurasic Park, or something..

- Anya

kcam

Take your food and hang it in a tree far away from your tent. A hungry bear is not a pleasant thing to have poking through your tent or camp site.
              Hanging food from trees is illegal in most Nat'l Parks nowadays. It's just not good enough to keep them from getting at it. Use a bear canister or two. A lot of places, in campgrounds, will have bear boxes at the site (you're car camping?). My daughter did a 6 week backpacking stay in Alaska this past July (part of a university research project) and they used an electricified fence enclosure powered by a battery but they were in the backcountry and were getting supplied by helicopter drops so bear canisters were not big enough. They had to divide up the fence/battery to pack it to each place every day!
                Here (in Colorado) we just lock our food in the car when car camping. Works fine for our tiny little black bears, but you may be required/have to do something different in Alaska.

The Greatest of All Time

Hanging food from trees is illegal in most Nat'l Parks nowadays.
                  I didn't know that. Good information. I used to back country camp alone and was limited in what I could ruck in so always threw it in a tree.
                  all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                    Hanging food from trees is illegal in most Nat'l Parks nowadays. It's just not good enough to keep them from getting at it. Use a bear canister or two. A lot of places, in campgrounds, will have bear boxes at the site (you're car camping?). My daughter did a 6 week backpacking stay in Alaska this past July (part of a university research project) and they used an electricified fence enclosure powered by a battery but they were in the backcountry and were getting supplied by helicopter drops so bear canisters were not big enough. They had to divide up the fence/battery to pack it to each place every day!
                    The electricified fence concept blew me away when I first heard of it. Some campgrounds have electric fenced- in areas just for tenters. Or, other campgrounds will not allow tents at all! We want to see all 3 bears. Black, Brown, and hopefully White ( if we make it to Prudhoe Bay )

- Anya

Why is it sideways?

I wouldn't put my wet running clothes in a plastic bag because they will get funky quick. A mesh bag would be best, I think.

an amazing likeness

I need to get as many runs in as I can,and hopefully I won't get eaten by a Grizzly.
                        Have you thought about including them in your training plan. You could rub yourself with salmon entrails, hit the trail for your morning run and the bears could help you work on your pace and turnover rates.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I have a mesh laundry bag that I use. Allows the clothes to dry out and still kept seperate from everything else.

Run to Win
                          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Lisa3.1

I wouldn't put my wet running clothes in a plastic bag because they will get funky quick. A mesh bag would be best, I think.
                            I have a mesh laundry bag that I use. Allows the clothes to dry out and still kept seperate from everything else.
                            Same here. Use a mesh bag. "When choosing which clothes to bring, always consider the probability of your clothing getting wet. This is almost a guarantee on nearly any camping trip. Whether the cause is a rainstorm, crossing a river, or simply sweating, there are several things one can do. Perhaps the most important thing to do is to wear clothes that will dry easily. Cotton is not a fabric that dries well; this also applies to blue jeans or denim. Although many inexperienced campers think cotton tee shirts are a good way to stay cool and that jeans are the best outdoor clothing, cotton holds water and chafes the skin. One motto that is often heard in the great outdoors is "Cotton Kills". The best fabrics to wear are polyester-based materials, which dry easily. As long as they are not dripping, they can dry while you wear them, especially if the wetness is from something minor, such as sweating. Under Armor is an excellent brand for this; it has been developed for athletes to keep them as dry as possible. Micro fleece is also a very good choice. Fleece doesn’t absorb water very well, it dries nicely, and it’s warm. These and other moisture wicking clothing are available at sporting goods stores and department stores, and they make all types of clothing: shirts, pants, jackets, underwear, hats and socks. Since getting wet is something that is bound to happen even if you do bring the right clothing and are exceptionally careful, there are several easy methods for drying your wet clothes. Socks are usually the first things to get wet, from either stepping in puddles or just plain sweating. If you’re backpacking, the best thing to do with a wet pair of socks is to tie them to the back of your backpack and allow them to dry while you move throughout the day. Never leave wet clothing in your pack, this could cause them to mildew. You should always have at least two pairs of socks which you can rotate each day by drying one pair while wearing the other. For shirts and pants, the method of tying them to your backpack also works. However, to speed up the process you should untie them from your pack when you make stops, and if possible, lay them out on a rock in the sun to dry. When back at the campsite, hang your wet clothes over tree branches and let the sun and wind do its work. If your tent is set up in an open area, lying clothes on top of the tent is a great way for them to dry in the sun. If your hiking boots get a good soaking from poorly navigating the stepping stones at a river crossing or simply stepping in a puddle, wearing them throughout the day while hiking will help them dry. But when you stop, you should immediately take off your boots, take out the insoles, and let them dry in the sun. " HTH, and Good Luck
                              Same here. Use a mesh bag. "When choosing which clothes to bring, always consider the probability of your clothing getting wet. This is almost a guarantee on nearly any camping trip. Whether the cause is a rainstorm, crossing a river, or simply sweating, there are several things one can do. Perhaps the most important thing to do is to wear clothes that will dry easily. Cotton is not a fabric that dries well; this also applies to blue jeans or denim. Although many inexperienced campers think cotton tee shirts are a good way to stay cool and that jeans are the best outdoor clothing, cotton holds water and chafes the skin. One motto that is often heard in the great outdoors is "Cotton Kills". The best fabrics to wear are polyester-based materials, which dry easily. As long as they are not dripping, they can dry while you wear them, especially if the wetness is from something minor, such as sweating. Under Armor is an excellent brand for this; it has been developed for athletes to keep them as dry as possible. Micro fleece is also a very good choice. Fleece doesn’t absorb water very well, it dries nicely, and it’s warm. These and other moisture wicking clothing are available at sporting goods stores and department stores, and they make all types of clothing: shirts, pants, jackets, underwear, hats and socks. Since getting wet is something that is bound to happen even if you do bring the right clothing and are exceptionally careful, there are several easy methods for drying your wet clothes. Socks are usually the first things to get wet, from either stepping in puddles or just plain sweating. If you’re backpacking, the best thing to do with a wet pair of socks is to tie them to the back of your backpack and allow them to dry while you move throughout the day. Never leave wet clothing in your pack, this could cause them to mildew. You should always have at least two pairs of socks which you can rotate each day by drying one pair while wearing the other. For shirts and pants, the method of tying them to your backpack also works. However, to speed up the process you should untie them from your pack when you make stops, and if possible, lay them out on a rock in the sun to dry. When back at the campsite, hang your wet clothes over tree branches and let the sun and wind do its work. If your tent is set up in an open area, lying clothes on top of the tent is a great way for them to dry in the sun. If your hiking boots get a good soaking from poorly navigating the stepping stones at a river crossing or simply stepping in a puddle, wearing them throughout the day while hiking will help them dry. But when you stop, you should immediately take off your boots, take out the insoles, and let them dry in the sun. " HTH, and Good Luck
                              wow, thanks. the under armour stuff rocks. And I really like the idea of a mesh bag.

- Anya

Another Passion

All I have to say is, I'M JEALOUS! My parents did a very similiar trip of a similar duration with their travel trailer back in '00 or '01. I'll see if they have any tips for you as well Anya.

Rick
                                "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                                "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                                runningforcassy.blogspot.com