The Physiology of POSE (Read 545 times)

Certifiably Insane

Sorry, just had to parody the other thread! Big grin I'm still having some knee troubles, so I've been doing a little research into things like Chi Running, FIRST, POSE, etc. Some claim to take some of the loading off of your knees, which of course is going to interest me. I just ran across this site about the POSE method. http://www.sportsscientists.com/2007/10/pose-running-reduces-running-economythe.html Interesting reading. The main part that caught my eye was the 12-week study someone did on it, and found it actually DECREASED the runner's economy. Now, so does not being able to train for a week because my knee hurts, so it may be better than not being able to run at all. I thought it might make for some interesting discussion here.
    On the road since 1978! "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great." I am not obsessed! I'm just INTENSE! "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." Why? Because race results stay on Google forever! (Reasonably recent) PR's: 5K - 16:40 10K - 35:04 HM - 1:18:30

On My Horse

All of those sorts of systems are frauds, plain and simple.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Imminent Catastrophe

All of those sorts of systems are frauds, plain and simple.
        Forefoot striking is just another way to run. But these "systems" all use junk science to make you buy some books or DVDs or training programs. If you want to be a forefoot striker just do it, but it takes a very long time to adapt if you've been a heel striker all your life. The barefoot running user group has a lot of talk about that.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

bap

Newbies may get some gems out of these books. Its worth experimenting to see what works for you. However, you can't teach old runners new tricks Big grin

Certified Running Coach
          Crocked since 2013

Newbies may get some gems out of these books. Its worth experimenting to see what works for you. However, you can't teach old runners new tricks Big grin
            The same argument is made for many financial gurus who have a few gems in books full of dangerous advice. Unfortunately, except for a few outliers, the road to success is paved with mundane consistency.