Would you change shoes? (Read 503 times)

Maniac

Race is in 1 week. My shoes have 311 miles on them, and appear shot. I could use them to get through the half marathon, but on my 12 miler today, they caused all sorts of blister problems. Huge, hideous, ugly-ass blister problems. I should post a pick. Save the lectures....I know I should have bought shoes earlier and broken them in, but I didn't. Too late now. I can do a few short runs this week to break them in, and then race the half on Sunday. What do you think? Go with shoes I KNOW will cause more blisters, or gamble with new shoes?

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

xor

Ok, I've never had old shoes suddenly cause blisters (old shoes generally just make my knees hurt), but that said... If your shoes appear shot, change them. It's too close to your race to try out a new brand/model, so try to get the same kind. Shoes really don't need to be "broken in" these days. They aren't baseball gloves. About the only thing I do is try to wear them a couple times before the big race to ensure that the laces are "just right" regarding tight/loose. And even then, I've worn brand new, not worn before, shoes in both marathons and 50k races. I did not spontaneously combust and had no issues whatsoever. I have worn old shoes in marathons before and suffered mightily though. So if it was me, I'd change them fo sho.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I would buy a new pair of your shoes and get a few miles on them. If the current shoe wasn't problematic when it was new, then I'd think another new pair would be fine on race day...maybe even without "breaking it in" any.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Try to get a pair of the same kind (brand, model) of shoe, then take out the insoles (inserts) and replace them with the ones from the old pair. Then get a few miles on them before the race. This worked great for me for a marathon.

Maniac

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

From the sound of it, a new pair couldn't possibly be worse.

-------------------------------------
              5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
              10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
              1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
              Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

i know that Road Runner Sports will take back "gently" used shoes within the first 60 days of wear ... if you go to thier stores you can normally find such shoes at a discount. So, give them a call ... maybe you luck out and find your shoe in your size that has been slightly "broken in" ... good luck! Arizona -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Scottsdale Shops at Chauncey Ranch 7077 E Mayo Blvd. Phoenix, AZ 85054 (480) 513-1774 Tempe Tempe Marketplace 43 S. McClintock Dr. Tempe, AZ 85281 (480) 968-2022

2012= under-goaled