On Wisconsin! (Read 2075 times)

C-R

One can rationalize almost anything but the basic tenants still hold true today as much as in their day. Common sense is never out of style.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Why is it sideways?

1) Just because Jefferson said something doesn't mean it is true or good.

2) If you are going to quote someone, you should quote what they say. Do your homework.

3) The fact that someone has not done their homework or misquotes Jefferson does not mean they are wrong.

4) There is a whole lot of stuff different in 21st century America than there was in Jefferson's time. 

5) When interpreting quotes, especially the quotes of philosophers, context is important.

6) Reasonable people disagree.

Of course in Jefferson's day there was no income tax, no ginormous standing army, no billion dollar weapons industry, no medicare or medicaid at all...

No roads or collapsing bridges

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

xor

We have the flush toilet, chemotherapy, and no slavery.

And The Electric Slide.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

....and antibiotics.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And Vibrams.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

3) The fact that someone has not done their homework or misquotes Jefferson does not mean they are wrong.

If one is going to quote Jefferson, they should take the simple step of verifying that they are, in fact, quoting Jefferson.

However, I did not link this for Jefferson's quote but for the balance of the content.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why is it sideways?

If one is going to quote Jefferson, they should take the simple step of verifying that they are, in fact, quoting Jefferson.

However, I did not link this for Jefferson's quote but for the balance of the content.

Yep, I know. I just looked up the quote to see if I could find where it sat in his writing to see if I could understand the view better. 

Menace to Sobriety

Of course in Jefferson's day there was no income tax, no ginormous standing army, no billion dollar weapons industry, no medicare or medicaid at all...

I'm pretty sure the slaves didn't have collective bargaining rights, either.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm pretty sure the slaves didn't have collective bargaining rights, either.

What about pensions?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

Yep, I know. I just looked up the quote to see if I could find where it sat in his writing to see if I could understand the view better. 

Fair enough.

MTA:  I guess my point is, it is human nature for people to take for granted things which are given to them without needing to be earned and develop an entitled feeling after a time.  Therefore, giving to people for any extended period of time that which they did not earn is counter-productive.  Charities learned this long ago, it is better to teach a village how to fish than to give them fish.  If you give them fish they will at first be thankful, then ask for more fish, and then complain loudly when you have no more fish to give.

As a collective we have come to feel we are entitled to too much simply for efficiently processing organic compounds into carbon dioxide and water.  The takers are getting to the point of demanding more than can be taken from the givers.  It is not only unsustainable but fundamentally wrong.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

This has been a very interesting discussion to follow and since our Democratic legislators from Indiana have decided to also run and hide, it seems to beg the question does taking your ball home really represent the best of a representative republic. It seems very 3rd worldish to me. The voters have spoken at the ballot box but their voice is being stiffled due to haughty parlor tricks. How would the media respond if the roles were reversed? 

I'm not sure exactly where I stand on how far this needs to go with the unions, but to be fair, there is a bit of political band standing going on by these governors, too.  Christie gave his budget speech yesterday here in NJ and he did the same stuff.  He got on the state employees a little much for my liking.

Things need to change.  If both sides aren't civil with each other nothing will get done.

Not at it at all. 

xor

They need the cat who won't cop out when there's danger all about.

Menace to Sobriety

What about pensions?

Nah, just some crappy defined contribution deal without any company match.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Feeling the growl again

Our legislators fleeing to Illinois makes me sick.  If this is the way our government works now, refusing to participate in the process and holding it ransom while issuing an honest to God list of demands, some serious seat turnover needs to happen next election.  I will certainly be making sure I didn't vote for any of them.