On Wisconsin! (Read 2075 times)

Why is it sideways?

The citizens of Wisconsin have the ultimate control in who they elect to represent them.

Funny. 

In my mind the big problem with labor unions is that they perpetuate an adversarial relationship between employer and employee.  They pretty much require it to keep themselves relevant.  Employees have to believe that "management" is out to perpetually screw them any way they can and that they (the employee) should not do any more than the absolute minimum that it says in their job description or else they are being manipulated by the man in order for the union to maintain its importance.  Big brother union is the only one looking out for their rights and whatnot.

I'm involved in County governement and I have to say that what the union worker gets in the way of pay increase percentages and benefits, the non-union staffers, department supervisors, managers all the way up to the County Administrator also get those benefits.

I will agree with the absolute minimum attitude of some workers, but that does not represent the majority in my department. It would be great if I could get performance bonuses, profit sharing, even a holiday ham like my private sector bretheren recieve, but I do not and can not. We even have a law in MN that says I can not accept a gift valued at more then 5 dollars from any non governement employee. I work closely with different contractors and can't even accept a stinkin hat from them. 

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

xor

Jeff as a Nation - I think it exists. 

I am not convinced this exists, but I'm curious what the flag looks like.

am I only allowed to send you one $4.95 hat or can I send twenty?

Why is it sideways?

xor

Choosy mothers choose Jeff.

Why is it sideways?

I input "jeff" in flag images.  The first page returned mostly confederate flages, an image of Jeffrey Skilling, Sarah Palin, some NASCAR stuff, and an arrested felon.  So they were pretty close in this case. 

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-701&va=flag+image%2C+%22jeff%22

we all know government will respond to shrinking resources by either putting the solution off for another day to create a larger problem or by acting more like a business.  and business will look to cut costs wherever thay can as long as it makes busniess sense.  with few choices for workers to move to other jobs the power shifts to the employer.  I think 2012 will be the end of days in terms of pent up demand from employees to tell their bosses to shove it as they find a new job.  I bet there is 25% turnover in all jobs next year. 

We have been battling budget shortfalls since the collapse of the housing market from lower property values and decreased property tax revenue. We are doing more with less and its been a little painful, but accepted by the people I work shoulder to shoulder with.

The funny thing about government needing to start acting like a business is when the budgets started hurting, the economy started to tank and the unemployment rate started to go up, my department head was told to keep hiring the outside consultants and do business as usual so the local economy wouldn't feel the pain from our budget troubles. It was okay to keep hiring a design consultant and pay hundered of dollars an hour, even though we have hired staff making a fraction of that pay that can do the job, now that things start to slow down because construction funding has declined. I don't think the private business exec would have that attitude. I see companies with huge profits cutting jobs and closing plants all the time.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Being on the lam is expensive.

I wonder who is footing the bill for the WI Reps?

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

am I only allowed to send you one $4.95 hat or can I send twenty?

Only one!

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Being on the lam is expensive.

I wonder who is footing the bill for the WI Reps?

they are.

wives are running down food and change of clothes and such.  and this...

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x484699

Pick your battles.

Wisconsin just voted out this man:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ_Feingold

Feingold is also a well-known advocate for reductions in pork barrel spending and corporate welfare. Citizens Against Government Waste, the Concord Coalition, and Taxpayers for Common Sense – three nonpartisan organizations dedicated to those causes – have repeatedly commended him.[24]

Feingold was elected to Congress on a promise not to accept pay raises while in office, and has so far returned over $70,000 in such raises to the U.S. Treasury.[25] In addition, he is notoriously frugal in his office's spending, and sends back the money that he does not use. In one six-month period in 1999, for example, his office received $1.787 million in appropriations and returned $145,000, a higher percentage than any other senator's office.[26] Since becoming a Senator in 1993, Feingold has returned to the U.S. Treasury $3.2 million from his office budget. [27]

Feeling the growl again

This all seems pretty far afield from the question of whether state workers' retirement and health insurance benefits are too rich for the times and whether the strength of labor unions are to blame.  That is unless you accept the premise put forth by a NY Post Op Ed writer, reprinted on Fox News, that an entitlement culture is at the heart of this particular problem.  And I don't.  We're talking about public employees who work hard (for the most part) and do thankless jobs in many cases, not welfare recipients bilking the system for all its worth (for the most part.)

Get with the program, man.  You have been around here long enough to be adept at following the multiple off-topic tangents that got us to this point in a logical fashion.

No, the link I posted as little to do with the original topic.  Nor does much of the last 10-15 pages.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

mikeymike

Good point, my bad.

Speaking of which, Gadhafi now claims that the uprising in Libya is the work of Osama bin Laden, who, he says, spiked the Nescafe coffee of the country's youth with hallucinogenic pills in order to exploit them.

At leas he didn't blame Sasquatch, that dude is getting a bad enough rap as it is.

Runners run