When you go for your run, do you start running right away? (Read 1650 times)

areesemd

Start running right away, but the first half mile at least I run like C3PO until things loosen up. Andy
      I'm usually ~30sec/km slower when I start, and get up to speed over the first 3-5 km. I do my easy stuff pretty slow for my race times though, so I use about the same speed as my easy and long runs for warm up, cool down, and rest on my interval days.
      obiebyke

I've kept to the C25K deal: 5 minute brisk walk before running, 5 minute brisk walk after running, then I've added a slow walk at the very end until my heart rate gets below 130. I do the walks as separate laps on my Garmin, and I don't count them towards mileage or time.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Esp if starting from my house, I may start by walking (downhill on ice). When I'm ready to start, I press the start button, and everything after that - including the warmup run - is included. I may sometimes later subtract out a substantial break (talking with someone, gear adjustment, whatever, ...). But I train by time and intensity (hrm), and the hrm automatically records the lower stuff as such and the higher effort stuff as such. So I may have 1.5 run with 20-30 min of warmup, 30-40 min of higher effort stuff, 20-30 min of cooldown. That 30-40 min shows up differently in my volume log.
          "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
            I start out running but go really slowly and increase over the space of 1 1/2 miles. It takes me about that long to get in my groove.
              ... do you warm up by walking or shuffling first for a little bit and then start into your run? ... I have been counting my warm up time but logging it seperately. I'm afraid that if I lump it all together it brings my pace down. ... WDYD?
              I warm up by walking about 10 minutes first. I don't count the time but would do it separately if I did. Sounds like you are doing everything right.
              mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Warm up by walking down the hill I live on (250+ ft decline in about 0.3 miles), stretch a little (calves, feet, ITB, hams), then start my run from there. My cooldown is a S....L....O....W.... walk back up the hill. I log them each as a separate entry (Warmup, Run, Cooldown) so the miles are counted in my totals. I'm in the 1000 mile in a year group, and I've been told that pace bunny counts walking miles, so why shouldn't I Big grin? But by doing them as separate entries I can graph them separate, and see the different color bars on my summary graph. Michael

I walk at least 2-3 blocks before starting and after finishing, then only time and count the actual distance that I run.
                  Ditto.

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Lisa3.1

I walk at least 2-3 blocks before starting and after finishing, then only time and count the actual distance that I run.
                    Same here.
                      When I go to run, I usually just start running/jogging right away. I used to walk quarter to 4-tenths of a mile, stretch, and then run. When i was using a track, I would do a .25 mile or 1 mile light run then bunch of stretching. I'm pro-stretch. modal (Note to self: Stretch more dude)

Vim

Oh, I need to do figure all this out. I hate putting a run in and it ends up looking slower because I had some warm-up and cool-down in there. It hurts my ego.
                        You could have a specific category such as MM (slowed down to check out Matthew McConaughey).

Vim

I always start out running, but slow. I did my first tempo run yesterday on my usual 3.4 mile route, and did the first .7 slow, and the last .7 slow. The middle two were my tempo run, but I logged it all. (The roads here are broken up into strange odd numbers). It's hard to force myself to have a bit of a cool down period because I've always been yelled at to finish hard etc...(army stuff). But I'll do that, and then have a little bit of a cool down job now. Works for me..
                            Depending on where I am starting my run from. If at home, I walk quickly up the hill, then start. Unless I go the otherway, which is downhill....then I start running right away, albeit at a slower pace.
                            Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."
                              I usually walk the first 30 meters then start running slowly and within 1/2 mile I'm at my training pace. It works for me.
                              Teresadfp

One day at a time

I ususally just start jogging very slowly. It's been so cold up here until recently that it was hard for me to make myself walk. Brr!