Question on Meal Replacement Bars. (Read 986 times)

VictorN

I also agree with Trent and highly recommend the book he references, In Defense of Food. You will do better eating real food and stay away from the processed food, which has most of the nutrition processed out of it. "Supplements" are a poor substitute for real food, in that they are never complete. Victor
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I've found a Kashi and eating a healthy cereal in the morning is a better option than a prepackaged bar!

The Greatest of All Time

I eat Kashi bars. Boo-yah!
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        arotrame

I also like what's in Mr. Powers hand...but not for breakfast......usually.

SMART Approach

I eat Kashi Bars, Kashi Cereal.....good stuff and PROTEIN SHAKES! Who Hah! Smile

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

running yogi

I make rolled oats during the week, because it's faster. Over the weekend I make the steel cut variety. I soak it overnight. That way it cooks in about 20 minutes. Steel cut oat is delicious.

The Greatest of All Time

I eat Kashi Bars, Kashi Cereal.....good stuff and PROTEIN SHAKES! Who Hah! Smile
                You can have dinner at my house anytime!
                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                  I agree with them that almost all bars are junk... But, shakes are not. Always Whey and Caesin shakes over any bars. They are designed for you to add fast or slow carbs, and/or Fish Oil, Flax or whatever, fiber to slow absorption. You have the option of making the shake junk, or make it so that it fits perfectly with your daily needs. For the most part, bars are already made with junk. There is one or two exceptions out there that are whole food bars with great macronutrient profiles on them such as Garden of Life bars made with whole foods and probiotics, Greens Plus bars which are whole food, and VPX Zero Impact which is an excellent bar, but too many calories for what most runners will be looking for... most would break that one in half.
                  I think a little research would show that most of your great implements of death are the result of zombie-eyed daydreams of shoe salesmen. -Al Bundy
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Oh Mighty Wing

3. Especially avoid food products containing ingredients that are a) unfamiliar, b) unpronounceable c) more than five in number
                      So you are saying that since my chem degree has taught me how to pronounce all kinds of chemical whoo-ha I should be allowed to eat it??? WOOOOHOOOO!!!!
                        If that works for ya, go for it. I take it you're saying shakes aren't food? Caesin is 80% of the protein in milk, Whey is 20. Is milk food? I don't agree with that line above though, however you slice it. I'm a counter down to the last gram. Always have been, as well as a meat eater. Sometimes that means using slow release protein powder(caesin/egg mix) @ night with 1/2 cup of oats. If I use Rolled oats, that means they have been slightly processed... is that still 'food' compared to Steel Cut? Not trying to argue... just presenting a different side. I wish it were as simple as 7 little words.
                        I think a little research would show that most of your great implements of death are the result of zombie-eyed daydreams of shoe salesmen. -Al Bundy
                          If that works for ya, go for it. I take it you're saying shakes aren't food? Caesin is 80% of the protein in milk, Whey is 20. Is milk food? I don't agree with that line above though, however you slice it. I'm a counter down to the last gram. Always have been, as well as a meat eater. Sometimes that means using slow release protein powder(caesin/egg mix) @ night with 1/2 cup of oats. If I use Rolled oats, that means they have been slightly processed... is that still 'food' compared to Steel Cut? Not trying to argue... just presenting a different side. I wish it were as simple as 7 little words.
                          I'm wondering though, seeing as you check, count, weigh all your food....do you actually ENJOY eating or is it something that you do just coz your body requires it? I think if I weighed everything and checked protein levels etc etc, I'd lose most of the enjoyment I get from eating....
                            I would say kind of... You make it sound like its a bad thing. I would think that enjoying food a little less, and considering food more of a fuel source and repair mechanism(and hormone formation, etc...) is something most people could probably stand to do. I know I enjoyed eating a little too much growing up and was fat.
                              I would say kind of... You make it sound like its a bad thing. I would think that enjoying food a little less, and considering food more of a fuel source and repair mechanism(and hormone formation, etc...) is something most people could probably stand to do. I know I enjoyed eating a little too much growing up and was fat.
                              No, not necessarily a bad thing....it would probably just annoy the hell out of me having to weigh & measure everything I ate. I love to run...but I'm too lazy to get the scales out and measure my food. The best I'll do is check sugar levels in something. And occasionally, I'll even feel a bit guilty about the creamy pasta sauce I ordered if I eat out.....but i get over that when I order dessert Big grin. As someone quoted recently, we run so we can eat crap LOL.
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I don't agree with that line above though, however you slice it. I'm a counter down to the last gram. Always have been, as well as a meat eater.
                                Which part do you disagree with? Eat food? Well, what would you have us eat? Not too much? What, should we overeat? Mostly plants? Nowhere does it say ONLY plants. Grains are plants. Beans are plants. Fruit and veggies are plants. Are you saying you eat none of this? Confused Seven words too short? Here is the long version. Read it. All. And no, caesin and whey in the form you take them are not food. They are manufactured and processed foodlike substances extracted from food using highly unnatural and chemical processes. Calling casein food because it comes from milk is the same as calling high fructose corn syrup a natural food because it comes from corn.