Does your family support your running? (Read 1715 times)

JakeKnight

Man I love you Shy
    I did not create it. It's Dude Code. It's eternal. Early copies were found among the Dead Sea Scrolls. But feel free to love me.
    But finally he admitted that he's jealous that I had the drive to start running and I've kept at it.
    I'd wager something a lot like that is pretty darn close to the true cause of Mr. Sippi's Man Code violations. When you're unmotivated and lazy, people who are motivated and ambitious can seem really, really annoying. As a lifelong lazy person, I know this feeling well. It's hard to watch somebody get passionate and driven about something when you don't have the same thing in your life. That's no excuse, of course. But its understandable.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

I did not create it. It's Dude Code. It's eternal. Early copies were found among the Dead Sea Scrolls. But feel free to love me. I'd wager something a lot like that is pretty darn close to the true cause of Mr. Sippi's Man Code violations. When you're unmotivated and lazy, people who are motivated and ambitious can seem really, really annoying. As a lifelong lazy person, I know this feeling well. It's hard to watch somebody get passionate and driven about something when you don't have the same thing in your life. That's no excuse, of course. But its understandable.
      You may not have created it but you brought it to light (at least for me Wink ) I think you may have hit another nail right there with the passion and drive and lazy thing

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

When you're unmotivated and lazy, people who are motivated and ambitious can seem really, really annoying. As a lifelong lazy person, I know this feeling well. It's hard to watch somebody get passionate and driven about something when you don't have the same thing in your life. That's no excuse, of course. But its understandable.
        When I was overweight and inactive I thought people who exercised regularly and ran races were pretentious and obnoxious...now I know that's not the case at all. But sometimes I wonder as people driving nearly run me off the road if they are having those sorts of thoughts towards me. I know I once had them towards others... Blush I really scored in the support dept. did is no longer a runner, but his family is FULL of runners (his aunt's hubby organizes the North Country Trail Relay here in MI and has run Western States 100 at least once), former runners, and his dad ran the Chicago Marathon back in the day. And as a dedicated cyclist (and former runner--he ran track and CC in HS and CC in college) he knows the necessity of regular workouts to train for long, challenging events. A few weeks ago I returned from my long run for the week just as the dids were arriving home. Derek asked how far I had gone and I told him "11 miles." He smiled at me, kind of shook his head in mild disbelief, and said "5 years ago I thought I would be married to a fat woman for the rest of my life." Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get him to understand, or accept my running? Has anyone been through this and eventually gotten the unsupportive SO to be supportive?
          Your husband needs a hobby. Seriously. My husband does karate and I run. He's tried to get me to learn some martial arts and I've tried to get him to run. No dice. Works out though, since we both understand and accept that there are things each of us have to ourselves. Show him these posts. Perhaps he'll get the point? Good luck.

The Greatest of All Time

What does that mean Confused
            It's means he's pretty damn ugly. Evil grin
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
              DW "tolerates" my running--meaning, she doesn't give me any crap (which is all I ask). She worries about me getting run over or falling on the trail and killing myself. Both valid concerns. However, I remind her that she was MORE worried about my health before I started running. Besides, I told her in the beginning that running is my 'mid-life crisis' and it's much cheaper than a Corvette or an affair with a Flight Attendant with fake boobs! Wink Big grin TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

The Greatest of All Time

Jake, Wife #2 loved your bro code post. We both just laughed our collective asses off. Thanks bro!

Eat, Play, Run

I love the bro/dude code, too. I need to share it with my dh! Hi - this is my first post here - I've lurked a bit and keep a log - but I had to jump into this one because I have a similar problem with my dh. Only I don't log marathon training mileage. I'm barely running 20 mpw and I do get flack about it. My dh doesn't seem to be worried about the "dangers" of running. He is simply jealous over my time, and really struggles with the Saturday morning long run. We have had several "discussions" over it. At times he tries to be supportive. He has bought me gear and sometimes likes to brag about my running. He has come to a few of my events to cheer me on at the finish line. But I think he would be happy if I hung it up. I have tried to point out to him that the majority of my runs have no impact on family time whatsoever. During the week I'm back before he or the younger kids even wake up. On Saturday mornings I'm usually back by 10:00 am. He says I'm "out of commission" until noon with needing to eat, shower, etc., but still - it's one morning. He also doesn't support my doing more than one event every few months or so. And pretty much anytime I sign up for one I get comments and eye rolls. I also point out that this is the most efficient form of exercise I can do, especially with my schedule. In one ear and out the other. Roll eyes This morning he made a comment and I said, "I am NOT going to stop running." Period. For the most part, I do my best to let it be his problem, not mine. Easier said than done, and guilt does creep in. But this is for me, and really there's not much he can do about it. BTW, he is not a runner, never has been. I talked him into trying it out, but he started to have problems with his back and seemed all too happy to give it up when a doctor told him not to start running. He just didn't "love it" like I do.
                    When I was overweight and inactive I thought people who exercised regularly and ran races were pretentious and obnoxious...now I know that's not the case at all. But sometimes I wonder as people driving nearly run me off the road if they are having those sorts of thoughts towards me. I know I once had them towards others... Blush
                    I'll tell you what... and I know I'm making a generalization here, but I think runners are a pretty amazing bunch. I belong to another forum for hikers in my area. You would think we're all a bunch of tree-hugging fools, and that we all love each other, and that we all have a common goal and appreciation of the wilderness. That may be, but I have never seen such a group of jackasses in my life. They are hugely argumentative about everything, they all feel they're better than everybody else. If somebody posts a question like "I hear y'all talking about Heart Lake. Where is it, I can't find it on a map?" that person gets slammed, and everybody starts talking about the sacredness of some areas, etc. (even though nearly every single person on that forum had already trampled their way to the same lake, and now won't tell some other person how to get there.) We've recently had more than our fair share of deaths in the woods, mostly due to avalanches, and rather than just say "those poor folks. Rest in peace", the folks on the forum go on and on about how stupid they were that they had cotton shirts on, and they have "no business" being in the wilderness. Roll eyes I don't participate much on there anymore. Anyway my long-winded point is that the running community, as whole, is a lot nicer and more supportive than other communities, I think. Like you said, they're not pretentious and obnoxious. I find it very refreshing. One of the only people on that hiking forum that I really like is... surprise, surprise... a runner! I don't know where I was going with that thought, but there you go. I'll go have another beer now. Wink

Michelle

The Greatest of All Time

I think Jake, myself, and some others need to round up the DH's some of you are married to and smack the shit out of them. I don't get this, especially Joyfull's post. I just don't understand the thinking, other than it being pure petty ass jealousy. And if that's true...well it's sad is what it is. I am so sorry some of you are having to deal with stuff like this, guys too. It's so hard to have a serious hobby without spousal support so I feel for you.

Big Chicken!

To answer the question of my family supporting my running: YES! DH was a runner already. He stopped for a while then got back into it by signing up for a marathon. I used to get annoyed by the time his Saturday long runs would take but never said anything. I thought it was his time. He tried to get me to run for years but I thought I hated running. I liked to smoke and spend time inside watching HGTV. Then we had kids and I dedicated all my time to them and working on my degree and anything that wasn't active. DH and I were creeping slowly toward divorce. When we moved this last time I chose to quit smoking and start running as a way to keep off cigarettes. Unknown to me he signed me up for a marathon so I would have to keep running. I wasn't thrilled at first since I had only 8 months to go from zero miles to 26.2. But I did it and LVOE running! I thank him all the time for signing me up. It kept me motivated. He didn't mind my long run time and I didn't mind his. Now my kids are getting into running. The two older ones have done kid races (all under 1/4 mile) and want to do more. My little guy did his first kid race last January. He had fun. He sees me run most days since he is in the stroller I push. He will run just to run whenever we head to the playground or just about anywhere. My other son (6) likes to run with me. I finish my Sunday run, get him and go for 2 laps around the loop across the street. That's about 1.5 miles. (I am a run/walker and he keeps up quite well; I do have to slow down for him a bit.) He loves the talk time and the running. He talks about when he is going to run the marathon with us. My daughter (7.5) is always asking about running. She enjoys it as well. I am going to do Couch to 5K for her soon so we can share some mommy-Maeve time in a healthy way. She even tells us when she feels the need for new running shoes (they are no longer called sneakers Smile) So I think I can answer YES, my family supports my running! And I am thankful for it every day!!
                        Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!
                          I think Jake, myself, and some others need to round up the DH's some of you are married to and smack the shit out of them. I don't get this, especially Joyfull's post. I just don't understand the thinking, other than it being pure petty ass jealousy. And if that's true...well it's sad is what it is. I am so sorry some of you are having to deal with stuff like this, guys too. It's so hard to have a serious hobby without spousal support so I feel for you.
                          Marcus, count me in! I don't get it either. My wife is a total non-runner, but we have an understanding that she gives me time to get my mileage in... and, when she has something she wants to do, or someplace to go with her friends (or on the rare occasion - me Smile), she gets no grief from me. And, I try to respect her in the times that I pick to run. During the week I have no choice (evening runs), but on the weekend long run I try to get out as early as possible to minimize impact on the day.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Well, my dad is a runner, whom I really don't talk to anymore, but I know he really takes it seriously and if we did talk he would support me running. The rest of my family supports me and my desicions. My girlfriend runs, her dad, and sister do too. (they are the closest thing I have to family lately Big grin). But yes, they all do support me.
                            "Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative." - prefontaine

My legs are killing me

A few weeks ago I returned from my long run for the week just as the dids were arriving home. Derek asked how far I had gone and I told him "11 miles." He smiled at me, kind of shook his head in mild disbelief, and said "5 years ago I thought I would be married to a fat woman for the rest of my life." Smile
                              Zoomy your husband must be psyched! Good stuff and the way it should be but I'm wondering if this could be the heart of the problem with some DHs - afraid that their wife's running may make them so hot it takes the DW out of their league and end up losing them.
                                My wife is generally supportive of my running. Granted, lately it has all been on the treadmill so should something happen, I can still help out with our sun. Soon I'll be heading back out side, but she has never minded before. She's been very accomodating of my running and cycling and if I do a race, she is prepared to sign up as a walker. the only area she tries to discourage me is weight loss. I'm not lean and mean...I weigh about 180 on a 5'10" frame. I want to get down to about 160, which she thinks will be too thin. She said she wants a guy with some meat on his bones. We go back and forth on this and we've never had any real arguments but it does get brought up every few days. I have lost 8 pounds on Weight Watchers so far (3 weeks) and she's ready for me to stop there.