Does your family support your running? (Read 1715 times)

The Greatest of All Time

As an enginerd, I likes me some numbers, too. But don't forget that BMI is can be deceiving for athletic people. The most extreme examples would be the running back who is 5"10" 220 lbs. Obese? Only if you can catch them -- 4% body fat and all. Now most runners aren't that extreme, but we often tend to have more muscular legs, and since muscle is more dense than fat, that could mean that 5-10 180 lb Matt be nowhere near overweight, despite his BMI. Just a caveat to keep in mind. Mississippi can, of course, selectivly ignore any assumptions that don't work in her favor. Tongue
    According to BMI I am borderline overweight at 5'9" 170. But bodyfat is just over 7%. As Jeff pointed out, BMI is not appropriate for athletes. The literature seems to be falling out of love with BMI and looking more at hip to waist ratio or vice versa, I can't remember. If you'e apple shaped you're ok, if you're pair shapped you might have problems. If you're french fry shaped I might dip you in hot grease, salt you and eat you. Evil grin
    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
      ...not to completely paint a horrible picture of "Mistersippi", please remember my complaints are only in regard to his views on my running!! And, since he is a member here at RA (athough he doesn't post in the forums) I can say that he agrees with how I've portrayed how he feels about my running (I told him what I've said and what others have said). And, I think I might have finally stumbled upon some things that just might help him to see things differently. Big grin WHICH - would be really really nice after all this time!

Michelle

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

If you're apple-shaped you're ok, if you're pear-shaped you might have problems.
        I think apple-shaped is worse, because you're carrying the fat up high, on and around your organs, instead of on your booty.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

And, I think I might have finally stumbled upon somethings that just might help him to see things differently. Big grin WHICH - would be really really nice after all this time!
          Great, but keep the x-rated stuff off the main board, please. Evil grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Great, but keep the x-rated stuff off the main board, please. Evil grin
            Roll eyes Gutter brain. That's not what I meant. Tongue Big grin

Michelle

If you're french fry shaped I might dip you in hot grease, salt you and eat you. Evil grin
              Big grin

Michelle

The Greatest of All Time

I think apple-shaped is worse, because you're carrying the fat up high, on and around your organs, instead of on your booty.
                ???? Are you fu*king with me? (Think Billy Bob Thornton in Bad Santa) Apple shaped to me means wider at the shoulders and then you taper as you go towards the waist.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoomy your husband must be psyched! Good stuff and the way it should be but I'm wondering if this could be the heart of the problem with some DHs - afraid that their wife's running may make them so hot it takes the DW out of their league and end up losing them.
                  Big grin You know, there's probably something to that theory. Luckily did LIKES it when other guys flirt with me...he won't even rescue me at parties when drunk creeps start getting too close...I can shoot him uncomfortable looks and he will stand on the other side of the room looking completely amused at my situation (this happened a year or so ago at a JDRF gathering...I had on a race shirt and a guy at the party had on the same shirt, so he comes over with drink in hand and invades my personal space and doesn't get the hint when I start backing-up). Hmmm...maybe it would be better if he DID get a little more possessive/threatened. Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

???? Are you fu*king with me? (Think Billy Bob Thornton in Bad Santa) Apple shaped to me means wider at the shoulders and then you taper as you go towards the waist.
                    Nope, not f*****g with you. The apple shape you're talking about is more like idealized inverted triangle of the body builder. For the rest of the would, you must think of the Fruit of the Loom apple. Healthwise, it's better to have a butt than a gut.

In the world of women's magazines, apple-shaped means that more fat is carried around the abdomen. Pear-shaped means that more fat is carried around the hips. What you are describing could be referred to as cone-shaped.

Amy

Comment on BMIs - I don't think the average person is used to what the healthy low end of BMI looks like - they think it's too skinny, underweight. For example, my friend described her brother as now being skinny like my husband I thought she was joking (he's 5 10 and 175 or so - not skinny in my book or in the BMI) but honestly, she saw him as thin. She is obivously not the only one. Looking at the figure helps and that it is in the healthy range, but it's still hard for people to accept. We live in an over weight world On Mississippi's comments on her husband worring about injury, I myself, was worried about wearing out my body. My husband said don't be worried - run, build up slowly and if it hurts stop. Plus, my heart rate is lower and lower indicating increasing heart health. Mississippi - I wish I could have a running log that was anywhere near yours - by the end of the summer perhaps. (My parents are in town and we have had Easter and St Patrick's to get ready for so the running has suffered. I've decided not to feel guilty but just accept I'll run next week, and I will. I am hoping to get out on Friday for 3 or 4 miles.)
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

No, that's hourglass...kind of the Marilyn Monroe body type...hips and bust relatively larger than waist (mesomorph). Apple would be like Roseanne - poorly defined waist (endomorph), pear is smaller upper body and waist with wider hips. I'd like to be an ectomorph...small everything. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Lia's Daddy

I too have a wife who is sort of on the fence about running. We have two kids who are under three, I am a full time teacher, and I'm in graduate school. I have a lot of obligations so I try to be as respectful to my family that I can be. For a while I was running in the morning before work and several times I woke up the baby on the way out of the house. That went over real well Roll eyes Lately I have had to go back to running after I put my daughter in bed for the night. It sucks for me because I hate running at 9:00pm. However, I hate not running more so I do what I have to. Partly I thnk she is jealous (and rightfully so). My wife is a certified yoga instructor who has no time to exercise at all. Her job is very demanding and often she has to work after the kids are in bed. We have not really found any solutions. I think she is becoming more supportive as she begins to see that running keeps me from smokeing and other bad habits. I sort of pad my runs with her as well. I wil often say I'm going out for two hours and I get the "look". Then when I come back after an hour and a half she is grateful that I am back and the bonus is she thinks that I'm getting faster. Wink
                            "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen

The Greatest of All Time

Nope, not f*****g with you. The apple shape you're talking about is more like idealized inverted triangle of the body builder. For the rest of the would, you must think of the Fruit of the Loom apple. Healthwise, it's better to have a butt than a gut.
                              Well I am glad we got that sorted out. Yes, a butt is better than a gut. Let's leave it at that. I have a very simple test to see where you have extra fat. Stand naked in front of a large mirror and jump up and down a couple of times. Anything that jiggles is fat.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Stand naked in front of a large mirror and jump up and down a couple of times. Anything that jiggles is fat.
                                Not everything, dude. Evil grin