Does your family support your running? (Read 1715 times)

The Dude code is awesome. Big grin My husband is mostly supportive. I recently had my first race, and the 2-3 weeks before the race, he was the ultimate coach. He was a runner through college (he went to Russia with his track team to be part of some USA-Russia event), won all sorts of awards, etc., but now his favorite thing to do is watch TV and eat ice cream. Roll eyes I don't run that far so I'm not out of the house very long, but while in theory he is supportive, when I get my running clothes on, I get major attitude. He views it as taking time away from the family (and I'm only gone 30-45 minutes, max). I could wait until our son is in bed, but then I'd be running around 8:30 at night, and I'm not interested in that. I run when I get home from work. I help the boys get dinner started, then go running while it's cooking. Or the boys will just eat without me, and I'll eat when I get home. He grumbles, but wisely keeps his trap shut. The odd thing is, when I get home, he's totally fine. Confused I asked him once about it, and he said first that he was annoyed about the time away from them in the evenings, as we both work full time. But finally he admitted that he's jealous that I had the drive to start running and I've kept at it. So I suggested that he go too. He says not enough time, because I'm 'ALWAYS' running (check my log and you'll see how far from the truth that is!). I tell him that's lame, and we can work out a schedule - alternate days or something. He now says he has no interest in running anymore, he wants to find some other way to exercise. Fine, I told him, but back off the attitude about me running. I think you just have to stand up for yourself. It's hard and sometimes gets you nowhere, and create more tension, but in the end I really think it's the best option. It was for me, anyway. I just roll my eyes at the attitude, plug in the iPod, enjoy myself, and know that when I get home, he'll get over himself. Smile
    I'm sorry to hear that you have to deal with attitude about your running, especially considering that your husband has a history of running. Hopefully there was some comfort when he admitted that he's jealous. My husband admits that he absolutely HATES running and he truly does respect my accomplishment of having done a marathon. On days that he has to run he dreads when it comes time to head out the door to do his 3 or 4 miles. I'm sure his feeling towards running in general does not help me out at all! I suggested that he find something else to do but he says that he doesn't want to devote that much time to it. Running is a quick fix. It allows him to get some cardio in and burn some calories. He also throws in some crunches, planks and push-ups. He used to play ice-hockey and I wish he would go back to doing that, but the games are always late at night and he wakes at 5:00 a.m. M-F. There are many days when I head out the door to run with the same mind-set as you - I plug in my Ipod, enjoy myself and know when I get home he'll get over himself. Big grin

Michelle

Eat, Play, Run

The Dude code is awesome. Big grin My husband is mostly supportive. I recently had my first race, and the 2-3 weeks before the race, he was the ultimate coach. He was a runner through college (he went to Russia with his track team to be part of some USA-Russia event), won all sorts of awards, etc., but now his favorite thing to do is watch TV and eat ice cream. Roll eyes I don't run that far so I'm not out of the house very long, but while in theory he is supportive, when I get my running clothes on, I get major attitude. He views it as taking time away from the family (and I'm only gone 30-45 minutes, max). I could wait until our son is in bed, but then I'd be running around 8:30 at night, and I'm not interested in that. I run when I get home from work. I help the boys get dinner started, then go running while it's cooking. Or the boys will just eat without me, and I'll eat when I get home. He grumbles, but wisely keeps his trap shut. The odd thing is, when I get home, he's totally fine. Confused I asked him once about it, and he said first that he was annoyed about the time away from them in the evenings, as we both work full time. But finally he admitted that he's jealous that I had the drive to start running and I've kept at it. So I suggested that he go too. He says not enough time, because I'm 'ALWAYS' running (check my log and you'll see how far from the truth that is!). I tell him that's lame, and we can work out a schedule - alternate days or something. He now says he has no interest in running anymore, he wants to find some other way to exercise. Fine, I told him, but back off the attitude about me running. I think you just have to stand up for yourself. It's hard and sometimes gets you nowhere, and create more tension, but in the end I really think it's the best option. It was for me, anyway. I just roll my eyes at the attitude, plug in the iPod, enjoy myself, and know that when I get home, he'll get over himself. Smile
      I can relate to so much of this!

SMART Approach

I am a low mileage runner and my wife thinks I am obsessed with running. Well, she says I am obsessed with my body. Is that so bad? She also thinks I am obsessed with these running sites. I wish she had these obsessions. My passion since age 10 (when I started pumping weights) was exercise, bodybuilding, nutrition, supplements, being lean etc. This was then my career for 13 years out of college. Even though I am no longer in fitness industry, my passion remains. Nothing has changed 30+ years. I have known my wife 20 years, married 8 years. She has probably come to see me racee 6 times in 20 years with many of these times with friends while on vacation when all spouses go to see us run. She thinks I run way too much and it is better to do other things. She loved when I weighed 20lbs more than I do now when I was on creatine and lifting more. But, she also doesn't really have an attraction to muscles and doesn't want me too big. Yet, she doesn't want me scrawny. I can't really win. She is overweight and sedentary with knee problems. She says running will kill my knees. Never had a knee issue. My recent, lingering hamstring tendonitis was fuel for her. "Running is bad for you". It was my own fault (stupidity) and not fault of running. Of course when the recent runners have died in races, my aunts, mother and family members say, "see, running can kill you. You need to stop". Sometimes I just get tired of it. I seem to need activity more than ever (stress relief from work/innate competitor in me). Makes me feel better and of course I am healthy. She understands the benefits of exercise (not enough to do it) and thinks it is fine but feels I am obsessed. I am not. It is just "me". It is really difficult sometimes to have this lifestyle when your spouse has absolutely no interest in exercising or eating healthy.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I am soooo loving my hubby right about now. He doesn't run, but he likes the fact that I do. My two teenagers are also great about it. After a run at the park the other day, my 13 year old son said, "Mom, you were kickin' it!" Big grin

Feeling the growl again

The more I read this thread, the more I appreciate my wife. She is always at my races when she can be...she has endured some awful conditions to watch me run. If she knows I should be training more she will yell at me to get out the door and train when I lose motivation even though I know she would prefer I stay in with her. I think she does like that I'm 5-7 lbs above my usual racing weight, I was pretty gaunt then.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

SMART Approach

BREAKTHROUGH! Late last night I realized that we had a wedding 2 hours away the night before the Green Bay Marathon (I do half) and have done every year since it started and is always a goal race for me. I told me wife I will have to miss it because of the wedding. She says, "why, we can make it happen and just drive back that night so you can do it". WOW! Maybe she is not so bad!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Bugs

DH is very supportive. Knows I'd be a crazy woman otherwise. I do wish he would show up at a marathon with the kids and a poster for Mom. Really envious of spouses that do that.

Bugs

DH is very supportive. Knows I'd be a crazy woman otherwise.
                  Maybe I need to develop that tactic. That might help him suddenly see the need to support it. Big grin

Michelle

I'm single, so I don't have a DH to complain about or praise my running. My siblings all say things like "I wish I could do that" and when I send them the link to C25k they say thanks but they might break something. Roll eyes One of my brothers is very overweight but can't seem to get any exercise in at all. I worry about him. My overweight friends/family say things like - you should put some meat on your bones, or you've gotten skinny, or eat more, you need fat. Inner voice says, maybe you should eat less, have less fat? It's my dad that bugs me the most. He'll often say, "be careful out there - don't overdo it", and for some reason that really bothers me. Like I wouldn't have the sense to be careful. And what would a non-runner know about being careful? When I started running, I had no idea how to keep injury free until I started reading the forums. Proper shoes- start slow - build gradually - listen to your body - have fun. Cool I mean, I'm 50, I have survived an abusive, alcoholic marriage and cancer - why not take some calculated risks ? What do I have to lose? What's a little pain? There's always cross-training if I get injured - which I have no intention of doing! And I think people believe that running hurts. I rarely have pain - maybe some soreness after a good workout, but that's a good soreness. Sheesh! /end rant

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Maggie & Molly

I'm soooo loving my DH right now. Not only is he very supportive of my attempts to run he is supportive of all my physical activities. I have a personal trainer and had been thinking to myself that financially I should stop. The other night DH says "you're about done with your trainer, right". I reply yep, Thursday. He gets up, comes over, gives me some money and says that he has been saving some money up because he know's that I'll go through withdrawal. Boy I love that man

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                      Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

I'm soooo loving my DH right now. Not only is he very supportive of my attempts to run he is supportive of all my physical activities. I have a personal trainer and had been thinking to myself that financially I should stop. The other night DH says "you're about done with your trainer, right". I reply yep, Thursday. He gets up, comes over, gives me some money and says that he has been saving some money up because he know's that I'll go through withdrawal. Boy I love that man
                        He's a keeper!
                        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Cherrie, that's so cool!
                            Stuff I just ripped mostly from my cluttered email folder. Sister on my marathon Yeehaw, ***!! You rock!! You gotta order some pics…this is a MAJOR accomplishment! Brother in Law what is that around your waist, water bottles? Best Friend You're looking in great shape dude. I can't believe those marathons....I couldn't do it Congrats on that race thing lol, man Friend’ Dad (Runner) He’s fast! This is amazing. As I've said before, in a lifetime of running I've never done more that a 10 K. I was amazed last time I saw you at what great shape you're in. Keep it up. It pays off throughout your life, especially when you get to be an old codger like me. Wow. Man. I've been running all my life, and I certainly still am, although I'm slowing down significantly. I've never done so much as a half marathon, nor do I run races. Too much pain. At my own pace I can keep it to just enough. I was really surprised when I found out how much you were doing. I think it's great, and you were in great shape last time I saw you. Keep it up and enjoy it. Old Classmates Way to go ***! I'm proud of you man! Congratulations! Quite an achievement! Regardless of the time, be proud of the fact that you did it. There is about 99% (or more) of the population who can not boast such a claim. Congratulations *** on marathon. Couple of my friends made it all the way through as well. That is quite an achievement, you look in shape man. Lady I was dating here recently YOU DID IT! I think you're addicted to running. I hope you have a good one this Saturday. 20 miles sounds tough. will there be hills too? Some other lady It seemed you were smoking the guys behind you. Lady friend of mine who actually was rooming with Kenyans Congrats on breaking ur record. Stay healthy. The last part of a recent voicemail from her ended with “I hope you’re not still running.” Email from my uncle that was forwarded to me from my dad I used to run and I do miss it but my knees will not take the pounding anymore, so i quit, I'm one of those "older" guys *** refers to.

Vim

I have to come out of lurkdom to say that my dh has read and is living by the "dude code". He would move mountains to keep me running. The laundry stays piled on the couch, the dirty dishes linger in the sink, the kids end up playing way too many video games, the bills don't get paid...all so I can run. Ok, I do have time to do all the chores, but I'm lazy when I'm not running. Wink Not a day goes by when my dh doesn't grab my ass and tell me how sexy my runner body is. He didn't do that very often before I started running. He really does think it's HOT. The smiles and look on his face when I'm dressed and ready for a run tell all. Sorry to hear your story Doc (joyful). I had no idea your dh was not supportive. Debi

The Greatest of All Time

Not a day goes by when my dh doesn't grab my ass and tell me how sexy my runner body is. He didn't do that very often before I started running. He really does think it's HOT.
                                You have a keeper!
                                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.