Racing flats...yes? no? (Read 1078 times)

Skooter 3.0

How many here actually have specific shoes for racing as opposed to training? If so- would you run a marathon in them? What's the consensus? I'm certainly going to rock what I'm used to in my race this week, just because I've never run a marathon, and don't want to risk doing something different that screws stuff up. I've always wondered about peoples opinions on wearing racing flats and if there's a general limit on distance before people start wanting more support....I'm sure ability level factors in greatly here as well. your thoughts?

Goals?

Mr R

It really depends on the runner. You may have different support needs. In general, you can strengthen your feet by slowly progressing to lighter, more neutral shoes. When I started running, I wore the Asics Kayano. Now I wear the Brooks T6 (~5 oz) for most of my 100 miles/week, including long runs. I don't find the weight makes a huge difference so much as the flexibility. Racing flats let me use my foot and get off the ground more quickly. If you don't get a lot of miles training in them, though, those underutilized muscles won't have the endurance to last for a marathon. That's why I recommend that most competitive runners keep a rotation of shoes, and spend a fair amount of time in a lightweight racer if that's what they plan race in.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

According to Pete Pfitzinger in Advanced Marathoning, good candidates for using racing flats in a marathon would be: Men: faster than 2:40, under 160 lbs. Women: faster than 2:55, under 140 lbs For the rest of us, Pete predicts that the weight trade-off isn't worth the loss of support and increased risk of injury. Of course, as Pete explains, these are general guidelines only, and each individual runner has to determine what works best for them. Also worth noting is the fact that many shoe companies these days have a "hybrid" racing shoe: something lighter than their normal trainers, but with more support than a true racing flat. Even among daily trainers, there are shoes at the lighter end of the spectrum. I think the average runner would better served looking at these kinds of alternatives rather than a true racing flat.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

mikeymike

I definitely wouldn't race in flats until you've done some training in flats. And for long races like HM and marathon, that would mean doing some long runs in them. I race in flats up to the marathon. I wear a different shoe for the marathon than I do for 5k to 13.1--a flat that has a bit more cushioning in the forefoot but is still a racer. But I also do a decent amount of training in flats and even my trainers are lightweights.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Also worth noting is the fact that many shoe companies these days have a "hybrid" racing shoe: something lighter than their normal trainers, but with more support than a true racing flat. Even among daily trainers, there are shoes at the lighter end of the spectrum. I think the average runner would better served looking at these kinds of alternatives rather than a true racing flat.
            This is what I run the bulk of my miles in. I bought my first pair of lightweight stability shoes sort of on a whim with the intent to use them for shorter runs and races...then I found they suited me so well that I kept coming back to them. MikeyMike convinced me to wear them for a HM when I'd not run more than 6 miles at a pop in them...and they felt great. Wore the same model shoe for my first marathon. When I wear a more traditional midweight shoe I find that I tend to land harder on my heels--the wear patterns on my standard trainers vs. my lightweight ones shows this to be true (and shoes with bulkier heels tend to encourage over-striding for me). I also don't do well in shoes with relatively inflexible forefoots (forefeet?), which most midweight trainers have. I start feeling it in my peroneal tendon area on the outside of my feet...as if my foot needs to flex more and miles of "fighting the shoe" starts to give me problems. Because I'm landing more on the front of my heels, rather than the backs, my landings are softer. I've never felt that the lightweight trainers aren't cushioned enough--quite the opposite, really. Since switching to lighter-weight shoes I've tried to go back to standard trainers a couple of times, but I keep coming back to the lightweight ones. The only disadvantage I find is that they may not last as long for a lot of people. Of course, it's a YMMV sort of thing. But definitely give different sorts of shoes a try...gradually working the mileage up. Maybe you won't like lighter shoes, but maybe you will. You'll never know unless you try 'em. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Men: faster than 2:40, under 160 lbs.
              Damn, even if I get really fast I won't be able to wear racing flats. Atrophy muscles, atrophy.
              Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

If so- would you run a marathon in them? ?
                I've done it. For me it was a really bad idea - first marathon, 220 pounds <50 mpw peak training. they were light weight trainers, not flats. i might give it another shot if i can get down around 165. mpw="" peak="" training.="" they="" were="" light="" weight="" trainers,="" not="" flats.="" i="" might="" give="" it="" another="" shot="" if="" i="" can="" get="" down="" around=""></50 mpw peak training. they were light weight trainers, not flats. i might give it another shot if i can get down around 165.>

jules2

I wear flats just for important races but only upto Half Marathon ( mind you thats the furthest race I run anyway ) but they do tend to hammer my feet but I do go faster, if I ran a marathon I wouldn't wear them.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

skootr, I tend to run a bit faster (maybe 5-10 sec/mile) in lightweight trainers, maybe to justify wearing such bright colored shoes Big grin. Anyway if you train in normal 12-13 oz shoes, the performance trainers that typically weight 8-10 oz will give a slight boost on race day, maybe jsut psychological, but it's there for me. I haven't run logner than a half marathon, but I'd be cautious about wearing the lighter shoes for longer distances especially if that would be the first time I ever run the distance.
                    Lane

I ran my first marathon in Nike Zoom Marathoners, but I fit into the <160lb category. i also did all of my long runs in them. remember that a lot of running is mental; if they make you feel faster, they may make you faster, whether of not they have any physical effect on how fast you can run. category.="" i="" also="" did="" all="" of="" my="" long="" runs="" in="" them.="" remember="" that="" a="" lot="" of="" running="" is="" mental;="" if="" they="" make="" you="" feel="" faster,="" they="" may="" make="" you="" faster,="" whether="" of="" not="" they="" have="" any="" physical="" effect="" on="" how="" fast="" you="" can=""></160lb category. i also did all of my long runs in them. remember that a lot of running is mental; if they make you feel faster, they may make you faster, whether of not they have any physical effect on how fast you can run.>
                        I like having special 'race shoes', not only does it probably help by a few seconds per mile but there is a psychological benefit to putting them on if you just use them for races and speed workouts. I used Asics Magic racers and then after they discontinued them, I switched to the Hyper Speed. Both are lightweight racing flats with fairly minimal support. Until recently I didn't do much training in them but kept them for race day. I have done five half marathons in the Magic Racers and three in the Hyper Speed. I'd assumed that I would wear them for a marathon too but comments in other threads on this board, plus experience in longer runs as my legs get tired is leading me to think I'd be better off getting some lightweight trainers (thinking of the Asics Speedstars). I've also started to train in the flats more to get used to them for distance. In fact I've been trying to get in my midweek medium long run in flats and if I get the Speedstars I'll probably switch to using them for that. Good luck with your fist marathon (you think people are going to let you forget that?) John
                        Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.

Skooter 3.0

This is all really interesting...I'm certainly not thinking of adding in flats any time soon, but it's cool to see individuals' uses for them. It sounds like it's worth a try down the line... and thanks John! I can't wait. If I win I'm going back to typing school...

Goals?