When is a hamstring not a hamstring (Read 866 times)

A Saucy Wench

So...Waaaaaaaayyyyy back in January I was running sprints and felt tightness in my left hamstring (lower 1/2) and instead of stopping or slowing I pushed through until I had a sharp knife of pain shoot up my hamstring. Enter 2 months of hamstring hell. 3 weeks on my own before I could get all the insurance jump through hoops to see a P.T. Several weeks of PT where we are all baffled by the symptoms. Severe pain starts when running starts near the knee tendon but above the knee, eventually travels up to the belly of the muscle (no longer hurts low) about 1/3-1/2 way up the ham and lives there for the duration of the run and several hours after....usually until I did something else. But deep tissue work only had pain points at the UPPER insertion of the hamstring by the butt and a fair bit on the outer part of the upper hamstring. And the leg feels no tighter or no pain on stretching vs. the other leg After weeks of doing all the P.T. we could thing of for the hamstring and having it actually getting WORSE I was ready to go through the insurance hoops to find an ortho and MRI's and Xray. My left hamstring was so weak I could not curl 10 lbs. The PT was getting frustrated and he started just manipulating things around hip to toe. And he felt that my fibula was not gliding smoothly as I moved my knee and he manually moved it around (hurt like hell) and then suddenly he could move it without it hurting too much. My fibula had been locked for all this time and not moving properly causing referred pain up to my hamstring (and also probably putting a lot of stress on it. ). Difficult diagnosis because usually with this problem patients have knee pain with every bend of the knee and I could do non-impact (like rowing machine) with zero pain. Tape and manipulation - better Better taping and ultrasound - DRAMATIC improvement. Hamstring strength instantly tripled. (like cant lift 10, treat, instantly lift 30) Running has only mild pain now. PROGRESS!!!!!!! (Too late for Boston, but hope finally!)

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Purdey

Self anointed title

That is absolutely fantastic news! How frustrating that it took this long to diagnose/treat. You must be thrilled to be back on the road - there will be more Bostons.

Great to hear Ennay!

Think Whirled Peas

Excellent news, Anne. I know you're bummed to miss Boston, but at least you've got the problem figured out now. That had to be even more frustrating. Time to start the train rolling again... Good on ya!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Prince of Fatness

Great news! I can only imagine how frustrated you were with this.

Not at it at all. 

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Awesome, but I'm anatomically confused. The fibula is one of two long bones (along with the tibia) in the lower leg. Do you mean patella (kneecap)?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

xor

Yes, I'm wondering about a locked leg bone myself. Anyway, I'm glad you can do more now... though when "mild pain" is viewed as a cause for celebration, life has gone funny.

A Saucy Wench

Awesome, but I'm anatomically confused. The fibula is one of two long bones (along with the tibia) in the lower leg. Do you mean patella (kneecap)?
                  No, I mean fibula. A locked patella I am pretty sure I would have noticed. The tibia and fibula have to slide/glide as the leg is moved. Put two pencils on the table, one slightly behind the other and put a finger on top of each. Now tip the pencils forward keeping the base on the table. Notice how the two fingers move relative to eachother...the "fibula" finger has to slide down a little bit as the tibia moves forward to move with it. Mine wasnt doing that, it was kind of hanging back in the joint - kind of pulling away from the tibia. Tibia is the strong bone that absobs the weight of the body, fibula floats a bit in the joint and is a shock absorber. No move, no absorption.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

mikeymike

I'm anatomically confused.
                    You don't say.

Runners run

Wow, weird and frustrating injury. I wonder what was causing it to lock up? Hopefully, you can keep it from happening again. Glad to hear you are doing better anyway. Smile

an amazing likeness

Wow, where is this mythical place of healing and resolving hamstring-like problems....? I want to go there and have warm cookies and fixed legs. I want to go there... Good for you Ennay, bad for anyone who may log stalk you and try to match you...not that I know anyone who does that...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

A Saucy Wench

Wow, where is this mythical place of healing and resolving hamstring-like problems....? I want to go there and have warm cookies and fixed legs. I want to go there... Good for you Ennay, bad for anyone who may log stalk you and try to match you...not that I know anyone who does that...
                          hey...30 minutes on the rowing machine with 5 x 1 hard intervals, 30 minutes elliptical with alternating hard intervals and reverse elliptical followed by a leg weights session. Or probably preceded by a leg weights session. See you tomorrow. It is taking every ounce of will power not to just hop back in to a 40 mpw running plan. But I am not healed yet, only finally healing

Bugs

Ennay, Sorry dear I had no idea you were struggling with injury. After your amazing BQ marathon to miss Boston, oh darn it, at least you get to save the money from the trip right? I have had much luck with my chiropractor and a therapy called graston, you've probably heard me go on about it before. It may be I also have the best dam doctor in the world fixing me up. I'm currently signed up for two marathons and struggling staying healthy. I was feeling sorry for myself, read your post, and told myself "chin-up". Smile

Bugs

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, that is excellent news! Stinks that it's too late for Boston THIS year, but now you have a full year to get back to fighting form. NICE! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Miracle cure! Big grin If you can bottle it you'll make a zillion! I'm so glad for you. Smile Go celebrate, and then treat yourself well on your recovery.

Roads were made for journeys...