Sugoi Women's SubZero Tight (Read 1362 times)

Darla1

Has anyone run in Sugoi Women's SubZero Tights?  Do you like them?  I love in MN and need some warm tights.  Do you know the differene between the Sugoi Women's SubZero Tight and the Sugoi Women's SubZero Zap Tights besides more money?

Thank you!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, I'm waiting to get a pair of these either after the holidays or once Running Warehouse has them back in stock in my size.  I've heard good things about them.

I think the zap simply has a bunch of reflective stuff on them...I can add reflective gear for MUCH cheaper as-needed.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Darla1

Hey Zoom Zoom - thanks for your reply.  I was hoping that was the only difference. I'm not looking to call more attention to my thights so I prefer the simple black tights!!!    I hope they are warm!!!!! 

Ha, I'm waiting to get a pair of these either after the holidays or once Running Warehouse has them back in stock in my size.  I've heard good things about them.

I think the zap simply has a bunch of reflective stuff on them...I can add reflective gear for MUCH cheaper as-needed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You bet...let me know how you like them.  They are the only tight Running Warehouse rates for <30.  Which I'm guessing will be great for days like today, when the windchill is around 0.  I'm tired of wearing tights with noisy windpants over them.  Enough is enough on the Winter laundry.

~ Sarah Kay

Darla1

Hi Zoom Zoom - I ran in my Sugoi SubZero tights this morning and I have mixed reactions.  The temp was 12 with a -5 windchill and my legs were cold.  Although they were by far warmer then my New Balance tights, I still could have used wind pants over the top.   For as much as I paid for them, I was disappointed.  Maybe there are no tights out there for these cold morning runs??  Maybe someone else will have suggestions. 

As I was layering up this morning I was very envious of those who live in warmer climates!

<input type="hidden" id="gwProxy" />

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How flexible are they?  I have a pair of NB Windblocker tights that I got last winter...they are super warm, even when it's really windy, but the windblocker panels don't have any give (they are almost like neoprene), so the tights end up being not all that comfortable.

Guess maybe I will stick with lighter-weight tights with the windpants over them.  Rats.

~ Sarah Kay

Darla1

They are very flexible and comfortable and would be very nice for warmer temps.   The Zap's have a zipper at the ankle, I can see where that might be nice.  They are hard to get over your feet, ankles and even worse to get off.  But I was crabby when taking them off too.  I would save your money, in my opinion they are not worth the money. 

Bugs

I've been thinking of buying these too, but more for winter races where I don't need to be as warm as a training run. I'm in MN too and for training runs in these temps you need two layers. My problem with this cold weather has been running too fast, so I've been packing on the layers hoping to slow down and give RP a break. Ran in under armour tights with sporthills pants over the top today and was fine. A faster run I would have wanted to feel more comfortable though.

Darla,

Try running with nylons underneath. They make it feel about 10 degrees warmer.

Bugs

Darla1

thanks for the suggestion of nylons, never thought of  that!   I layer everything else, so not sure why I don't think I would have to layer my legs too!   I really was hoping there was a tight out there that you would not have to.  Maybe if I try a more fitted second layer, it would not be as bad as wind pants.

Best Present Ever

I don't have the cold running cred the rest of you do, but for long runs  in sub zero weather (which I've done maybe twice, with many more runs in the mid teens to low 20s) I've worn mid-thigh-length compression shorts under tights.  One would think that my rear end was plenty insulated on its own, but my backside stays cold in really cold weather.  For whatever reason, my lower legs don't feel as cold, so that this amount of layering has worked fine for me.
                      redleaf

I don't have the cold running cred the rest of you do, but for long runs  in sub zero weather (which I've done maybe twice, with many more runs in the mid teens to low 20s) I've worn mid-thigh-length compression shorts under tights.  One would think that my rear end was plenty insulated on its own, but my backside stays cold in really cold weather.  For whatever reason, my lower legs don't feel as cold, so that this amount of layering has worked fine for me.

Now that sounds like it would work for me. I'm the same way in that my shins/calves never feel as cold (so I'm usually in capris while others are in tights) but my thighs are freezing...

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've done the compression shorts thing, too.  I usually put them over the tights, since they tend to not be as comfortable under.  But I'll be dammed if I can find the pair that works best.  I wore them with tights all last Winter when it was really cold and it was perfect for keeping my butt warmer.

~ Sarah Kay

Darla1

Humm, nylons and compression shorts....what great suggestions!   Looks like we have some even colder MN weather coming, I'll have plenty of time to try out all of these suggestions! 

Has anyone tried the Brooks Wanganui tights?

I was waiting to post till today because I ran in my Subzero Tights in 20 degree temps with a wind chill of 7 degrees and was not 100% warm.  My legs were a bit cold.  I was disappointed.  They are actually not that much thicker than my Midzero Tights.  The only tights that don't seem to let in the cold they don't seem to make anymore.  They are made with polypropylene.  They have something similar at Sporthill with the 3SP fabric.  I am amazed how I can wear just a base layer, the Sporthhill Infuzion top with a thin wind jacket and be comfortable on top in this cold.  I am going to try my CRX  Insulator tights tomorrow. Before I find the perfect tight the winter will be over.

what are lions?

are the subzero's fleece-lined? i bought a pair of new balance tights (w/fleece) a couple years ago that work really well for temps under 20. before that, i used to layer a pair of track pants over my usual tights (keeps you warm, but it's bulky). shoulda worn the new balance today- 'only' in the 20's, but there was a very strong northerly wind. literally froze my bum off running south.