Sugoi Women's SubZero Tight (Read 1362 times)

Bugs

Dolly,

Every year I look for the perfect tight. (Maybe the problem is my tush not the tight though...LOL)  Report back on the CRX  Insulator tights, I've looked at them before but was not sure.

Darla,

I hate running in wind pants. They just don't let your leg bend. Try the nylons, give all those $10 pairs you bought that got a run in them a purpose. For these colder temps you may need something like cuddles or under armour tights. I wear fleece pants over mind, not wind pants. My $100 wind pants stay in the drawer because I don't really like them.

BTW, Our TJ-Max has had Under Armour Hats for $12. Now that is a WARM hat.

Bugs

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Every year I look for the perfect tight.

I had found the perfect tight...the Mizuno Breath Thermo Layered tight.  But then I discovered pretty quickly that the inner-thigh seam placement was bad.  I wore through those seams within a month or so.  I was able to get a replacement pair from Mizuno, which was cool of them--I sold them on eBay, since I knew they wouldn't last.  When I contacted their customer service I suggested that they offset the seams a bit.  Not sure why companies think putting seams in a chafe-prone area is a good idea.  My NB Competitor tights have lasted me a long time, since the seams don't come in contact.  But they aren't a particularly warm tight.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Has anyone tried the Saucony Arctic LX tight?  I believe this used to be Hind.  They have a rear zip pocket, which makes them extra appealing.

~ Sarah Kay

Darla1

Lots of good suggestions and ideas, thanks for sharing everyone.  I ran this morning, temp was 9 degrees with no wind.  I wore my SubZero tights with my New Balance tights over the top.  I was perfect.   With any wind though, I would have needed more.  I am going to try the nylons also.    I spoke with the x-country coach at St. Olaf, (I work there) and she said layering is the only way to go. She said they do make warm tights but to get them warm they are thick and bulky.  If anyone finds the perfect tight, please do share.  I can't afford to keep trying!  Ugh.

I can't wait for spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Terminator

How do you guys wear anything under a pair of tights?  I have CW-X tights and there is no way anything else would fit underneath them.  Perhaps I need a larger size.

"In the South, the cotillion of Machiavelli is played as a soft-shoe, in three-quarter time." - Pat Conroy

Just came in from a run with the CW-X Insulating tights and now I remember why I stopped wearing them.  I don't like the fit.  They have a tendency to ride down so to prevent that from happening, I need to tie the waist tight and that is just plain uncomfortable.   They come up to my belly button and it is rubbing.  Also, with a wind chill of 17 degrees, I did feel the cold.  Not terrible, but not toasty warm either.  I may try thin tights under my Sporthill XC Pants.  Maybe layering is the best system.  That is what keeps me warm on top.  Now we are forecast for 8 to 12 inches of snow on Sunday.  Will have another set of clothing issues for that one. 
                How do you guys wear anything under a pair of tights?  I have CW-X tights and there is no way anything else would fit underneath them.  Perhaps I need a larger size.

No way would anything fit under mine either.  They are not made for layering.  Only tights with pants would work.

Ojo

I am going to try my CRX  Insulator tights tomorrow. Before I find the perfect tight the winter will be over.

Let us know as I was thinking of purchasing a pair.

I wore my Sport Hill Zone 3 pants today and added my Zenzah calf sleeves, which helped keep my legs warmer.

Sara

MM #2929

Darla1

My SubZero's are very snug and my NB are a little looser from losing some weight, so they layered very nicely.  But still would not be warm enough for a windy day. 

Let us know as I was thinking of purchasing a pair.

I wore my Sport Hill Zone 3 pants today and added my Zenzah calf sleeves, which helped keep my legs warmer.

You are probably running in the same cold weather as me.  I did not like the CW-X Insulator tight.  That is why I haven't worn them much.  They tend to ride down and my legs were still a bit cold.  I also got uncomfortable rubbing around my belly button area.  I am going to try the Sporthill Summit tight.  Their Polypropylene fabric is by far the warmest and most comfortable I have ever tried.  The only thing wrong with the pants is because they are loose, a bit of air can get between my legs and the pants. I like the warmth of tights.  I will let you know how those work out for me.  I tried the small size and they were a bit too snug so I have the mediums on order. 

what are lions?

as an aside re the shorts-over-tights...i've been thinking about this idea lately (at least for 30+ deg's). seen some athletic skirts intended for the same purpose as well (eg, athleta's 'cya'). but what's with the 3 or 5 in inseams on either shorts/skirts/skorts for women? as i'm getting older, wouldn't mind something a little longer (at least in terms of shorts). i guess slightly longer skirts (7"?) wld req a side-split. fwm. and why is it that men's running shorts are usually at least mid-thigh?

I don't get to run in sub-zero temps too often so I never invested in warm running tights. Several times that I did freezing winter runs I ran in my old cross country ski tights. I got those many years ago and don't even remember what the brand was but they work great. Maybe ski shops (cross country or snowshoeing section) would be a good place to check for running gear.

Ewa

I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill

I think I have found my favorite winter running tight: The Sugoi Firewall  tight.  I was running in sub 20 degree temperatures yesterday and these kept my legs comfortable.  Not too hot.  A little cold, but comfortable.  They fit perfect.  That is the best part.  They ride below the belly button so they don't rub and irritate but they don't fall down as I run.  I love these!  Sugoi's stuff is great.

http://www.sagecycles.com/ZZ/AP08SUFW01.html

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Elisa, how stretchy are those front windblocker panels?  My biggest gripe with the NB Windblocker tights was that the front windblocker panels had no give.  They were not flexible and not comfortable, as a result.  Too bad, since they were really warm and great in cold wind.

~ Sarah Kay

I hated the NB windblocker tights.  They were very stiff.  These are very giving and move with me.  I even bought the Firewall  jacket and love how comfortable it is.  I had the Pearl Izumi tights with windblock and had to return them as well for being too stiff.  Not sure what Sugoi has done different, but I didn't want to take these tights off yesterday.

MTA: there is also a firewall 200 tight. Not sure if those would be as comfortable.