Marathon Shoes (Read 920 times)

mark-bixler

Ok, so I have Myrtle Beach coming up in February.  Nice flat course.  For my last marathon, I got fitted at the local Fleet Feet.  They said I had a neutral gait and the shoes that felt best ended up being Saucony Progrid Ride.  They felt nice and worked well in the race.  For this race I was hoping to go with a lighterweight racer type shoe. 

In my first marathon (2007 Thunder Road in Charlotte) I ran in adidas and had ITB issues around mile 17-19. 

I will hopefully get up around 45 mpw here in the next few weeks or so and would like to train in the shoes I will be wearing for the race.  I hope to run in the 3:40-3:45 range and train in the mid 8's. 

Anyway, I know tyhre have been threads on this but I figured I would get reccommendations based on my personal situation.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Oh and seeing as I live paycheck to paycheck, something econimical (under $80) would be icing on the cake.

Listen. Yeah, it's gonna hurt some. That's the marathon business.

But here's the thing. When it starts to get intense, that's not time to panic. This is what you wanted to happen. It means that all the training, all the miles, all the wakeups, all the cold, all the wet, all the sleep-deprived days and all the shit you've done to yourself over the last 6 plus months is finally about to pay off. It means you've put yourself where you wanted to be. You've given yourself an opportunity that very few will ever have. You've given yourself a chance.

Now finish it.

The shirtless wonder

I love my mizuno ronin's.  They run about $75 when ordered online.  I don't know if they'd be a good shoe for you or not.  I ran a marathon in them and multiple long runs.  They are very light.
      spinach

I like the Nike Zoom Marathoner.  They are lightweight (about 8 ounces) and quite comfortable.  I have worn them in all of my marathons the last several years with no problems .  In fact I use them for almost all of my running during the months when we don't have any snow or ice on the roads.  I think they are reasonably priced,  the Nike Store website has them priced at $85, I think I paid a little under $70 for my last pair at my local running store. 
          Mizuno Precision 9's ... Now 10's are out.  Fairly light (9.9 oz) and comfy nuetral shoe.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

My favorite shoe - Brooks Launch, very comfy through a half marathon (haven't run a marathon yet), yet are fairly light at 9.3 oz.  Getting a lot of "cool shoes" comments only helps in the later stages.

el Jeffe

I'm a shoe junky, I probably have 20 pairs of runners on my shoe rack. It's funny you mention the Saucony Progrid Ride. As it turns out I have 2 pairs of those. I too considered them to be too heavy for racing. But back in June when I drove down to Seattle for the Rock and Roll Half Marathon I forgot my usual half marathon racing flats at home, the Saucony Type A2, but still pulled a 4 minute PB in the Rides. I thought that was very strange at the time, in that at this stage I usually take 20-30 seconds off my PBs, not minutes.

Then I raced a fall marathon, and once again remembered my Progrid Ride "trainers" and forgot my racing shoes. The result was an 8 minute marathon PB.

So what did this tell me? Well for one thing I should check my gear before I leave for a race, but for another thing shoe weight isn't as crucial as you'd think... sometimes solid training and race day comfort are all you need. The Rides are great shoes, I'll keep buying them... and racing in them when I forget my "real" shoes. 

mikeymike

Asics Hyper Speed is a great marathon shoe for the money.  I've usually found them for about $60 or less online.

Runners run

I ran Steamtown in a pair of Brooks Launches and absolutely love them.  I recommend them hands down.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Right on Hereford...

Ok, so I have Myrtle Beach coming up in February.  Nice flat course.  For my last marathon, I got fitted at the local Fleet Feet.  They said I had a neutral gait and the shoes that felt best ended up being Saucony Progrid Ride.  They felt nice and worked well in the race.  For this race I was hoping to go with a lighterweight racer type shoe. 

In my first marathon (2007 Thunder Road in Charlotte) I ran in adidas and had ITB issues around mile 17-19. 

I will hopefully get up around 45 mpw here in the next few weeks or so and would like to train in the shoes I will be wearing for the race.  I hope to run in the 3:40-3:45 range and train in the mid 8's. 

Anyway, I know tyhre have been threads on this but I figured I would get reccommendations based on my personal situation.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Oh and seeing as I live paycheck to paycheck, something econimical (under $80) would be icing on the cake.

Are you ruling out Adidas based on your ITB issues? If so, why do you think the Adidas shoes had something to do with it?

Asics Hyper Speed is a great marathon shoe for the money.  I've usually found them for about $60 or less online.

I agree.  I had bought a pair last year, planning to use for a 1/2 M.  Decided to run my 1st full instead and the shoes felt fine.  I personally had a rough day and was wore them for 3:54Tight lippedx.  Race day weight was around 165 lbs.  Bottom line, find something comfortable,  and give them a test ride on a few medium-long runs.