ipod nano, pros and cons (Read 1210 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Are there any other places than itunes to get Podcasts?
    I listen to some radio show podcasts. They generally will have them available for download right from their website.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Dave

Agree Amazon has better prices and a larger library. I still buy the cd and rip it unless the cd is out of print (& out of my price range on the used market). If I am looking for new material to sample then I acquire my music through other avenues on the internet.
      And if you buy Pepsi products, they're giving away Amazon songs for free. 5 points per song. 1 point for a 16 oz bottle. I'll put in my vote for the shuffle for running. Built in clip, enough memory for even my longest runs. Smallest form factor. Don't need a screen while running. For everything else I have a classic. Waiting for the new Touch models that look imminent in September.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I've had a 1st gen nano, and recently upgraded to a 3rd gen. Overall, I really like the nano... one of the best players for running. I highly recommend the Nike+ sport system (you don't really need nike shoes to use it) as it lets you track runs and gives you motivation while you run. The only issue I have is that when (not if) your battery dies (i.e., no longer holds a charge), it is a pain to replace it. But my 1st gen lasted over 3 years without a problem, so it really isn't too much of an issue. I agree that the shape of the 3rd gen is not the best for running, but if you get a nice sport armband that problem goes away...
        patarch1

New Haven 08

The FedEx guy did not leave the package yesterday, I have to wait until tonight to discover the new Toy. Tonight's run will be even more enjoyable.

200 mile bike trip in three days with sleeping gear and change.

Get the Saturday running club back up.

Run below 8 minutes per mile for 6 miles.

Hopefully you aren't the type of the person who likes to have the newest cool. New iPods are almost guaranteed to come in a few weeks. I've also heard (from the Apple Rumor mill of course) that they're releasing something brand new....which is always interesting. But for the current line up, I say the shuffle is best if all you want to do is run or don't have many songs. Nano otherwise.
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Hopefully you aren't the type of the person who likes to have the newest cool. New iPods are almost guaranteed to come in a few weeks. I've also heard (from the Apple Rumor mill of course) that they're releasing something brand new....which is always interesting. But for the current line up, I say the shuffle is best if all you want to do is run or don't have many songs. Nano otherwise.
              Good point. I heard recently that the supply chain is starting to dry up and that no new orders of some iPods are being shipped. Expect an Apple announcement in September. Wait for it before buying.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

patarch1

New Haven 08

According to The Apple Store everything was shipped and the Fedex rep delivered it this morning. I just need to be 45 min patient and go back home

200 mile bike trip in three days with sleeping gear and change.

Get the Saturday running club back up.

Run below 8 minutes per mile for 6 miles.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I listen to some radio show podcasts. They generally will have them available for download right from their website.
                  Thanks. I love NPR.Never consider downloading it. Cool

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks. I love NPR.Never consider downloading it. Cool
                    I've done my last 3-4 long runs listening to "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me." I also like WGN talk radio programs. Smile

~ Sarah Kay

Jazz hands!

I've done my last 3-4 long runs listening to "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me." I also like WGN talk radio programs. Smile
                      I have a hard time listening to radio shows when I run (can't focus well enough), but I love "This American Life," and also "The Sound of Young America," (dumb title, good show--find it at maximumfun.org) and Dan Carlin's Hardcore History (google it!).
                      run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I find that I am less apt to run too fast if I listen to talk, which has been good with the knee issues in recent months (and the comedy helps keep me distracted from the pain...which is maybe not so good, I guess). Though if my knees finally HTFU I may have to go back to more music. I do like the variety of talk on the long runs, though. It really makes them fly by when I find myself audibly chuckling. A recent WWDTM that I listened to had Craig Ferguson and Dave Barry. Ferguson's part is especially hilarious.

~ Sarah Kay

I've had a 1st gen nano, and recently upgraded to a 3rd gen. Overall, I really like the nano... one of the best players for running. I highly recommend the Nike+ sport system (you don't really need nike shoes to use it) as it lets you track runs and gives you motivation while you run. The only issue I have is that when (not if) your battery dies (i.e., no longer holds a charge), it is a pain to replace it. But my 1st gen lasted over 3 years without a problem, so it really isn't too much of an issue. I agree that the shape of the 3rd gen is not the best for running, but if you get a nice sport armband that problem goes away...
                          Shape? I just clip it to my hip, run the cord up through my shirt, and am good to go. Load one of the dj steveboy podcasts (various bpm that can help get your cadence up). On year 2 and love mine. Music for running, family guy for air travel.

Lia's Daddy

I am actually using Ubuntu and will not use itunes, thanks for the tip though as I am planning to encounter similar nuances with whatever software I use on Ubuntu
                            In ubuntu I use Amarok. I've messed around with both Banshee and songbird but prefer Amarok. Video support for the Ipod in Ubuntu is pretty sketchy. I think the next version of Amarok is suppose to support video though.
                            "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen
                            anneb

Shape? I just clip it to my hip, run the cord up through my shirt, and am good to go. Load one of the dj steveboy podcasts (various bpm that can help get your cadence up). On year 2 and love mine. Music for running, family guy for air travel.
                              Same here, except I have the 2G model. I don't even know it is clipped to my shorts. And no battery issues yet (just about 3 years).

Anne

TRIing to beat the heat!

I have a 3rd gen... love it. DH had a 2nd gen Nano that didn't hold up at all. After having it repaired twice, it finally broke down a third time on him during a flight and he tore the things to pieces at 30,000 feet! Shocked I usually get my songs from CDs that I already own or iTunes. May start to go the Amazon way as well.

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL