Anyone NOT wanting to run a marathon?? (Read 1521 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

There are as many paths to success as there are people who choose to succeed. Why's that? Because everyone's definition of success is different. It doesn't make sense to follow anyone else's path when chances are real good it's not leading you where you want to go.
    This is almost Yoda-esque, except your syntax is better. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

This is almost Yoda-esque, except your syntax is better. Smile
      Agree with you I do.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

SNIFF, SNIFF - I love you guys! I must apologize - I realized after I posted that I'm a little hormonal at the moment. Hence my depressing-ness. I shouldve rented Steel Magnolias and curled up with a box of tissues and a bottle of wine until I snapped out of it. So I guess I was kinda considering this "training" as work. And you are all correct, I DID start running for a reason and I'm gonna start reminding myself of that more often. I think I got caught up in all the talk about running 200 miles in a month, catching up with some pace bunny, fartleking, hill running and so on. So I felt I wasnt doing it correctly if I didnt vary things up a throw some speedwork runs in there. Since I'm physically able to run a 10k I will be signing up for one soon, but after reading all your posts I think I will cut back my long runs and such afterwards. Maybe I wont feel as rushed and busy during the week trying to squeeze in as much mileage as possible. Also, although I love my garmin, I think I might ditch it for a little while. Last week, my batteries died so I left it at home and I have to say I was pleasantly suprised at how well I ran that day and how long I went for without knowing it. It was more enjoyable than normal. I also didnt have to constantly look at it to see what my pace was every 5 minutes. And I was able to go for longer before taking my walk break. I also want to join my local running club so get more involved in volunteering for races and meeting new people and such. I was tossing the idea around but I think now I will defintely do it. And more 5ks this year - since my first was in September last year I know I can at least do better than that finishing time! Once again, thanks for all the support thus far. And yes, Blaine you can certainly use anything I said in your newsletters.
          Just another thought to add to the excellent ones already posted. Try mixing your running up a little. Go run some trails and just get lost (mentally, and maybe physically too, if you want Big grin ) in the trees and snowflakes and birds and babbling brook (or whatever you have on your trails). When running trails, one usually has to pay more attention to what's going on - which way to go, following curves, ducking under trees, avoiding rocks / roots, not scaring the moose, etc. Lots of things to keep multi-taskers occupied. (no, I don't have any marathons as my goals, but I like to run for many hours through the woods and above treeline - at my own speed taking pictures as I go. There is a race mostly on trails that happens to be marathon distance, and I might do it some day because it's a popular local race to do - or not.)
          "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
          Teresadfp

One day at a time

Chrissy, it sounds like you have a good plan. The local running club is a GREAT idea. I run about as slowly as you do, and believe it or not, you may discover that there are SLOWER runners (especially the moms pushing those gigantic baby strollers, lol). My running partner and I meet a group of moms at our local running store every Thursday morning - it's fun, because a store employee or two runs with us and has us do different simple workouts each week. It's nice for someone else to tell me what to do for a change, and I've met some neat people who I frequently see at races. It's one of my favorite parts of running now.
              Get in shape, be healthier, improve the quality of your life. Keep yourself open to new possibilities and new experiences, but don't feel pressured just because of some people on an internet message board or some friends that you train with decide they want to do something like a marathon.
              What he said...
              Krisruns

I completely agree. I have been running for about 3 years and have no interest in racing. During that time my mileage has lengthened and my pace has quickened. I am stronger, fitter, and happier than ever. I have a good friend who loves to race, ran the Boston Marathon last year, runs Falmouth, etc. and she always wants me to race with her. Is now encouraging me to do a half marathon. During a recent run I was asking myself why I don't race, and it dawned on me that one of the reasons I love running is the solitary nature of it. I run early in the day (5 am or so) 6 days a week, and have the world to myself. This prepares me for a day of work, kid, husband, dog, commute etc. in a way that makes me very grateful. On the other hand, running with a huge pack of people is not motivating to me. So I decided to just keep adding to my miles and continue enjoying my lonely runs. I completely admire others who race and find that motivating, but am OK knowing that doesn't work for me. For me, I just love that even on those days when I run poorly, I am always happier than if I hadn't run at all. Final note -- I agree with others that outdoor running is the best. With the right gear the temps and wind aren't a problem, and you feel even more hardcore at the end!
                DeadMopoz

While we on "don't want to" mood, I want to add that I personally don't think I will ever want to run sprints with hurdles and steeplechase. Is it ok? Is it makes me less of a runner? Anyone with me on this?
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

"Teresa sprinting" is an oxymoron. Trust me on that.

I also want to join my local running club so get more involved in volunteering for races and meeting new people and such.
                      This year I plan on doing more volunteering. Not that I haven't done a lot in the past few years, but races are too expensive and I want to concentrate on a few quality runs rather than racing multiple times per month this year. Volunteering at the races is a lot of fun and is rewarding in and of itself. Any time that you start to feel burnt out, it's a good idea to stop racing and remove that stress and start volunteering, because then you stay in the thick of things and still get to have the fun of the race without the pressure. Unless you become a race director, in which case you pile on a whole helluvalot more stress... Of course, this would be the year that my team decides to switch their focus from the New England Grand Prix to the Maine Grand Prix, which means that half the races I was planning to volunteer at are now "team" races that I am supposed to compete in. At least for the out of state races I can get reimbursed now.

Run to Win
                      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

TexasRunner

I'm not interested in one anymore, and here's my story. I finished my first marathon in 1984 in 2:50 at age 19. My longest "long" run was 14 miles leading into the race. In 1987, I was a much faster runner than I was in 1984 and was running a bunch more, so I thought that I'd take a shot at breaking 2:30. Starting in August of that year, I began running about 100 miles per week. My wife and I had jobs where we got home around 4:30 p.m. On Fridays, we'd eat dinner and go to bed. The alarm clock would go off at 10 p.m., and she'd ride her bike while I ran 22 miles every Friday night. Remember, this was August when it was 95 degrees at 10 p.m. in Texas. I was also doing speed sessions such as 1-mile repeats. I plugged away all fall and ran some lead-up races. I was crushing all my races, and my final speed session was 8 * 1-mile averaging 5:05 w/ a 440j, and I ran the last one in 4:50. I was definitely ready. I woke the morning of the race to find that it was about 70 degrees with 90% humidity. It was over. 5 months of totally focusing on one event and one outcome was upset by something over which I had no control. As a result, I have not attempted a marathon since because I just can't find the rationale that makes that total focus worthwhile. Meanwhile, I've run my 5 and 10K races, and I've run some times that I'm quite proud of. I don't need a marathon to validate my status as a runner. While running a marathon is quite an accomplishment, it doesn't make or break you as a runner.
                          When I first started running I felt the exact same as you. I just wanted to concentrate on the shorter distances and slowly work my way up to a 10k. I did that for the first few months and then dove right into half marathon training and did my first half in less than 6 months of starting running. For me it was a bad experience. Anyway, I had the same thoughts about long runs too. I thought that they took forever and that I would never get done with them. I used to always wonder why I was out there in the first place. I had a lot of negativity going through my mind which I think is typical of beginners. Last year I started reading about LHR training and how much more enjoyable it made running. The downside is that you slow down but the upside is that you slow down. I thought it would be impossible for me to run any slower (I was running 11:30-12mm) but I was wrong. I started slowing down in my runs and that is when I really started to enjoy it and the thought that I could definatley do a marathon popped into my head. The main thing is that I really do enjoy this time by myself now and I could't imagine life without it. It's OK that you have no desire to do a marathon or even a half marathon. You need to do what you feel most comfortable with right now. There are quite a few people out there who have no desire to do longer distances so you are not alone.
                          Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09

Lia's Daddy

I have recently been struggling with these same issues. I have really only been running seriously for about a year. I started running again when a co-worker and I were eating lunch and she said "we should train for a half-marathon". I thought it was doable because I remembered that I really liked to go out for runs when I was in college. So I started training without having any idea what I was doing. As you can imagine, the results were not good. I ended up with a stress fracture a couple of months after I started. When I was forced to take some time off I learned a little more about how to train for a half-marathon. I rode my bike a lot and stayed in good cardio shape and began running again as soon as the doc gave me the ok. I ended up succesfully running three halfs at the end of last year. I probably should say that I ran two successful and one un-successful. Two days before the half on Thanksgiving I injured my calf. I should not have run it but had been planning it for a couple of months and didn't want to dissapoint my brother-in-law who was going to run with me. I finished it in my average time but I did damage to my leg that I have just now recovered from. So since thanksgiving I have taken about 5 weeks off. I had a goal to run the Flying Pig Marathon in May. I have totally scrapped that idea. Right now I just want to be able to run- injury free. To train for a marathon the right way takes a lot of time. Right now I have two children under three with the younger one being only seven months. My wife just started a new job which requires some extra hours. This may not be the best time in my life to train. My current goal is to just enjoy running. I'm going to enter in some more 5k races for the fun (I didn't like to race those when I was "training" for my halfs because they messed up my long run schedule). I'm going to build a good base following the 10% rule. I have decided that someday I will run a marathon. For now I'm just going to enjoy running, not burn myself out, and not make it a chore.
                            "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen
                              It's your journey. It's about you. Not about anybody else. Follow it where you decide it should go. Nothing else matters. But above all else, quit treating it like work. It's play. If you treat it as such, and come to love it enough, you may one day look at this thread and laugh, because you just finished your 50th marathon. Or maybe you'll stay on this path forever. So what? It's for you.
                              I'm with this guy. That's exactly what it should be about. I have absolutely no interest in running a marathon either. I'm also an avid hiker and have no interest in climbing a mountain. Do what you're comfortable doing, and if you reach a certain level you're comfortable with, stay there. If you want to push further, push. If you don't, don't. It's supposed to be enjoyable and fun!! Personally, I want to run, but I only want to run about 5 miles. I'm doing it for fitness, not for competition. I'm running my first race in a few weeks, but have no plans to do any more at this time (we'll see how the first one goes!). I am not a competitive person. My passion is the woods -- so I run, to stay in shape for hiking. I'm at 3 miles now, and I'll slowly work my way up to 5, and that's good enough for me. I have found though, that as I reach one goal, I am just competitive enough with myself, to want to do better. I initially wanted to run only 3 miles a few times a week. I've reached that goal, and now I want to do 5. So you just never know. Run if you enjoy it, as far as you'll enjoy it for, and then stop. There's no point in doing something you don't want to do. Life is much too short for that!

Michelle

Believe it or not, I could've written the exact post myself (not wanting to run a marathon, not wanting to run over 2 hours etc). I am at a stage in my life where I cant squeeze any more time out for running than I already do, but I find that I enjoy what I run now, and am a bit moody on days I don't run. I used to worry about being the slowest runner on earth, and if I'll ever be any faster, but once I stopped tryng to get faster, I think I actually am. I used to have trouble breaking 10min/mile when I started, running 2 years ago, but on a recent run I broke 7 min for a mile, so there is hope for all of us. I stll train at 11-13 min miles for the most part, because that's the pace I enjoy. My optimal running time seems to be around 1 hour, anything longer starts being work and not really fun, so I guess you have to find your happy pace and duration and keep at it as long as its enjoyable.