Anyone NOT wanting to run a marathon?? (Read 1521 times)

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

I don't want to run a marathon. I don't even want to run a 5K race. I just want to be able to go out and run 3-4 miles every other day to build a better aerobic base. I'm very slow. I don't care. At least I no longer sit on the couch while my husband goes out to run.
      I think this thread is a great indicator of how the running community has matured. When I started running in the mid-80's, if you weren't trying to do more mileage and run marathons, you were looked down upon by your running peers. Now, as long as you are out there consistently being active, it's ok. It just seems like more of a "family" atmosphere these days. Those with more experience are willing to help the newcomers along. TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

I don't want to run one, either. I am happy doing 10k and the half, I am too slow to run well in a 5k, and the distance does not appeal to me anyway. I do not honestly love running, though it does make me feel better: I am more motivated by having certain time goals I want to achieve. It is not really a social thing for me; I do most of my running alone. I think we all have our own reasons for starting and continuing to run. I tell myself I do not want to commit to the amount of time it would take to train properly for a marathon, even though it takes just as much training for a half if you want to run to your potential, somehow it doesn't seem as bad. I cannot explain this rationally! There is a certain appeal to running a marathon, everyone knows what the race is, but non-runners have no notion of what a half marathon might be, except it sounds much easier, so does not earn the same respect. I will be just as happy running a good half as a mediocre full. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

cewickbe I Do NOT want to run a marathon. Running a marathon IMHO is for people who like to run. I don't run because it's a hobby I enjoy. I run because it keeps me in shape for the things I do enjoy. I would much rather spend my weekends skiing, diving, hiking, biking, camping etc. I normally run about 3 miles a day 3 or 4 times a week. I have tried to start making it more consistent and get in at least 12 mpw, I am competative and like beating the bunny. But that's it. That's all I'm interested in. I think it's great that other people enjoy running and for them that's wonderful. I too run about 11 mm on the pavement, but it's 13 mm on the treadmill. I can't imagine spending a couple of hours just running a few miles. As long as I'm getting the cardio and staying in shape/losing some pounds to keep me going in the "fun" things in life I'm happy.
          Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
          milkbaby

A lotta good sentiments here! I was a runner for 3 years before I even ran my first race. Even if there were no races, I would still run for fun. Contrary to what some people have said elsewhere, you don't need to run any races to enjoy being a runner, much less run a marathon! I ran a few thousand miles before my first race just because I wanted to run. Also, remember that life is a journey. It's not necessarily a straight climb to the top of the mountain, but it's simply where your feet take you. Life isn't about some mythical idea of progress unless you mean progress from this moment to the next moment. Don't judge yourself against other runners or other people -- do what is possible for you and you alone because nobody else can be you. Good luck!
            "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
              Awesome. Seriously. I feel so much better about this now, knowing there are many people out there who just run for however long, however far, and how often they want, and also for no particular reason. After reading all these posts I went online and looked up some upcoming 5ks and 5mile runs in the area. I signed my husband and I up for a huge 5mile here (The Manasquan 5 for my NJ friends), which will be our first time racing together so that should be fun. I also printed out forms for about 3 or 4 other 5ks during the next 4 months. It helped a lot to have things like this to look forward to and know that I am able to do them right now, as is. I am also going back to where I started running - at Cattus Island Park - and I'm gonna go back and do some trail running instead of hitting the streets and pavement all the time. That should keep me occupied for a little while. When I left Cool Running and was searching for a new home I picked this one because it looked like a good place to be. Your support and opinions have completely validated my decision, once again, thank you.

- and I'm gonna go back and do some trail running instead of hitting the streets and pavement all the time. That should keep me occupied for a little while.
                Trail running is great. It keeps you healthier, it makes you stronger, and it keeps your mind occupied better than street running. Plus, there's no traffic and the air is fresher. How can you go wrong?

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I used to feel guilty not wanting to run a marathon, but I now realize it is OK. I truly enjoy the half marathon distance. I run it slower than a 5K or a 10K and just enjoy the journey. It is long enough that I am proud of myself when I finish, but I can still walk the next day. Heh, I can still walk that afternoon. I enjoy planning vacations around the different runs. I never would have gone to Las Vegas except I thought it would be great fun running down the Strip at 6am. The trip was so much fun and I enjoyed the half. That afternoon my husband and I walked 1 and 1/2 hours back down the strip looking for a place for lunch. (The buses weren't running because of the race). I have already signed up for the Denver Half Marathon in October. I don't "train" in the traditional sense. I just go out and run as many miles as I feel up to or have time for. I am still in love with running and want to keep it that way. I always feel wonderful during a run and after. A marathon to me, right now, does not appeal to me, but maybe one day. 26.2 miles is an awfully long way Undecided
                  grateful runner

I know so many runners who ran for years before trying the marathon, and of those who have been running for 2 decades or more, almost none of them jumped into the 26.2. I think that says a lot.
                    2009 Goals 1500 Miles 21:30 5K 1:40 Half Marathon 3:45 Marathon 200 Mile month

A is A

I have no plans to run a marathon. I can't see much reason in running for hours and hours on end; I don't think it would be all that meaningful to me. I like the half distance and I love long distance team relays and that's about it, so far.

Another Passion

Your support and opinions have completely validated my decision, once again, thank you.
                        She likes us... she REALLY likes us. Big grin Speaking of validation... the only validating you need in your running... is from you. Wink Neat thread, great people, sound words of advice. I really like this place a lot too. (pullin' up chair to settle in next to Chrissy) Smile

Rick
                        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Beatin' on the Rock

I feel so much better about this now, knowing there are many people out there who just run for however long, however far, and how often they want, and also for no particular reason.
                          LIke any other category you can fit people into, runners grade themselves: 10 minute milers... 7 minute milers... 180 bpm-ers... Sub 30 5Kers... Marathoners... ULTRAMARATHONERS... ... and those of us who don't fit those distinctions can feel left out, not part of the group... not a "real" runner, worthy of a log... Shocked ) Folks define themselves; whether with fancy cars,upscale homes, stainless appliances, bigger boobs, even the IT-for-the-moment-breed-of-dogs, or how fast - or far - they run. Runners can -and too often DO - act like elitists. We newbies need to remember that they wouldn't have much to feel elite about if we didn't keep slogging, didn't keep seekiing, ... didn't keep trying to get where they are. Run your own pace, you lovely, wide-eyed, pink-cheeked, glowing, young lady. It pains me to see you hurting about some arbitrary, pie-in-the-sky goal! Marathon/shmarathon. Who cares what the scrawny guys who've been running for oh-so-many years think you oughta do? You are improving every week, getting faster every month, and - the key - enjoying every run. Yes Joy; I see it in your face. I hope to meet you someday, cewickbe. At a 5K!
                          Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.

Another Passion

Joy; I see it in your face. I hope to meet you someday, cewickbe. At a 5K!
                            Oh, come on, you should meet her someday at AT LEAST a half marathon or it's not worth meeting! Evil grin

Rick
                            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Kenotic Runner

I've only been running 3 years and I've run one marathon. No plans to run a second at the moment. I am running around 25 mpw but have no plans for now to run a second marathon. I like shorter distance racing and I don't really like racing all that much anyhow. A couple races in the summer is enough for me. However, if you take a look at "why I run" on my profile, you'll see: To see more sunsets than I otherwise might. To think through the day's thoughts even before the day has begun. To eat lots. To have fun. To live an active life. How could a specific distance-based goal be any better than that stuff? All of my 2008 "goals" are so distantly secondary to all that.
                              JakeKnight

Cewickbe: Okay, now that we've all shared a big slobbery group hug over the joys of not running marathons ... let me at least toss out the other side. Your job now is simple: learn to love running. Run whatever you want as fast (or slow) as you want, to turn it into not just a habit but a privilege. The goal of all new runners should be just to learn to really like it. If you ever think "Oh, I *have* to run 10 miles today" you're on the wrong track. When you wake up and say "I *get* to run 10 miles today" you're going in the right direction. When you find yourself pissed off that you couldn't go run 20 miles, you're almost there. I'm still very much in this phase, trying to make it such a part of my life that I can't do without. I wish every new runner would just run for the joy of it before they ever pick up a running book or try a running plan. There's a great post that's been put up a couple times (Scout? You got that link?) about this Norwegian (?) guy who turned into a world class runner doing that. He spent years and years just running the hills for the hell of it, enjoying every minute of it, getting faster and stronger - before he ever tried competition. I think every runner should be like that guy. BUT ... but don't limit yourself, either. Don't rule out the marathon (or beyond). As much as I believe everything I just wrote ... I think there's indescribable magic in the long distances. A marathon turned me into a runner - experiencing that one good race is what gave me a love of running. There is something really magical (and sometimes ridiculously painful) that happens at mile 22 of a marathon. It's where you find yourself, find out what you really are. I can't even really explain it, but the marathon is the only thing that really fires up my imagination. Every one is scary and exciting and a triumph, and the worst ones are sometimes the best ones, and the ultras are going to be better yet. There is just something out there, when you're past what you think you can do and way outside your comfort zone, that's hard to find anywhere else. And I think every marathon addict knows it, and its why they keep coming back. So just don't rule it out for someday. If you get the first part right - that bit about learning to love running - you may want to try a marathon or 2 or 20 someday, and you may love it beyond words.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                                -----------------------------