Anyone NOT wanting to run a marathon?? (Read 1521 times)

I strained my IT band 2 years ago training for one. It got so bad, I did not think I could run again , period. But, I slowly rebounded. I went slow, and worked my way back up to a 5 miler. And I kind of stayed there. What's funny is, I used to think a 5 miler was a joke. Now? I'm in love with the 5 miler. It's perfect. I'm done with the whole thing in under an hour. My long runs now are 7 or 8 milers. Sure, I may do a 10 miler once in a blue moon if the situation is right. I just don't see the point in doing any more miles. The only race I will ever enter again is a 10k. Now, those, are actually fun !!!!

- Anya

Double IPA Please!

I so love this thread. This has been something that has been festering in the back of my mind for a month or more now . I am so happy to have come across this. Especially with my recent injuries I have been a little blue. Thanks for allowing me to get back to being real with myself. Great group of people you all are.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Feeling the growl again

Honestly I have never understood the infatuation with the marathon. At the local level, if a race offers a 5k and 10k everyone does the 5k but then I overhear most of them say they're going to run a marathon....why weren't they in the 10k then to get ready for it?? My opinion is that too many people try to jump into marathons either too soon or without adequate preparation. Don't get me wrong, I am always happy when someone gets out and runs, but it seems that jumping into marathons causes a HUGE attrition rate and the lifestyle change is too often short-lived. I have done pretty well in marathons but I can't say I really enjoy the actual race. I can enjoy 10k/HM. Until I start running real mileage again I have no interest in marathons.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

There's a great post that's been put up a couple times (Scout? You got that link?) about this Norwegian (?) guy who turned into a world class runner doing that. He spent years and years just running the hills for the hell of it, enjoying every minute of it, getting faster and stronger - before he ever tried competition. I think every runner should be like that guy.
          Thanks for the reminder Jake, our new CR friends might not have seen it. A truly great story, Tor Aanensen: from beginner to world champion in just 25 years It's right up there with Cliff Young the 61 year old ultra champion in gumboots, and the ever popular Dick Hoyt, world’s strongest man. Fabulous stuff. (the link at the end of the Hoyt article is out of service due to copyright, this should work: Team Hoyt - CAN )

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Bugs

I love the marathon, but know my body will probably never be able to run more than one a year, that may even be too much. I don't want to feel like like "less" of a runner than my friends that are running a marathon. Nor do I want to feel like "my" races are less important because it's not a marathon.

Bugs

thumbs up!

I love reading these forums, but have to say I get caught up in the "training for a marathon" mindset. Get more miles in, get faster... after all, even OPRAH ran a marathon! Then there was all the jogging vs. running stuff... I know this thread started out as a "vent" session, but thank you. Happiness and contentment can come without running 26.2 miles.
              2010 Goals
              1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
              2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
              3. sub 30 min 5k
              4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10

My legs are killing me

I really enjoy racing. 5k's, 10k's 1/2's. It's fun to me and I love going to different races in different places. It's always interesting to me. I don't believe that you have to run a marathon to be a "real runner". I always said I would never run a marathon and later this year I will. It's not so much to validate my running as much as it is a desire to find out if I have to commitment to do the training and finish the race. And I don't want to run it just to finish it but to run it in a time I think I'm able to accomplish. It doesn't matter if you run a 5k or a marathon. We are all runners and we all run events for different reasons. I think what matters is having fun and enjoying the whole experience.
                Tenacious

Moving right along....

CAUTION: EXTREME WHINING TO FOLLOW..........CONTINUE AT YOUR OWN RISK.................LONG POST I am glad at how far Ive come. I just dont see myself going much further. Is it ok to just be content with running/walking 11 minute miles, or just logging 13- 17 (maybe 20 someday) miles per week? I just dont have the time to dedicate myself to the sport like many of you do.
                  I'm sure someone will say I'm being overly sensitive here...but.....couple things bother me about this post: 1: is 11mm slow? Because that's just about what I run and I don't feel any less of a runner for it. 2: I really take offense when someone tells me I have more time to devote to running than they do. NOOOOO, I have different priorities, not more time. I don't know of anyone who has less than 24/7 to accomplish what they must and what they want to accomplish. Having said all that, I'm signed up for my first full marathon in May after having run 4 1/2 marathons. I can't quite wrap my head around 26.2 miles yet, but I know I have the choice to down grade if I decide--and still be no less of a runner. Good luck to you!!
                  By failing to prepare, you are prepairing to fail. Benjamin Franklin
                    Just wanted to say that I too loved this thread. I also have no plans to ever run a marathon (though who knows what the future holds), but I do have a strong desire to be a fast 5k racer. I realize it's going to take a while to get there, so I really loved reading the story of the Norwegian runner that BadDawg posted.
                    Brandon
                    JakeKnight

I'm sure someone will say I'm being overly sensitive here...
                      You're being overly sensitive here.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

Beatin' on the Rock

I really enjoy racing. 5k's, 10k's 1/2's. It's fun to me and I love going to different races in different places. It's always interesting to me. I don't believe that you have to run a marathon to be a "real runner". I always said I would never run a marathon and later this year I will. It's not so much to validate my running as much as it is a desire to find out if I have to commitment to do the training and finish the race. And I don't want to run it just to finish it but to run it in a time I think I'm able to accomplish. It doesn't matter if you run a 5k or a marathon. We are all runners and we all run events for different reasons. I think what matters is having fun and enjoying the whole experience.
                        Good to see you again, here, Sully. That's all. -s-
                        Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
                        dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

It doesn't matter if you run a 5k or a marathon. We are all runners and we all run events for different reasons. I think what matters is having fun and enjoying the whole experience.
                          Actually we don't all run events. I run for exercise and have zero interest in entering events. I'd venture to say that the vast majority of runners don't enter events, they just ... run.
                          Steve Boyett
                          Podrunner: Free, nonstop, fixed-BPM workout music mixes.
                          Podrunner: Intervals - Free, varied-BPM workout music mixes!
                          invisible

Running is a great warm up for hatha yoga. It's magical to run in the forest on a misty morning. It's great to strap on a backpack, run to an organic food store 6 miles away, do your shopping, have a little picnic, visit some friends and then run home. It really has a great sense of meaning.
                            90 percent of the game is not giving up.
                            Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Just wanted to say that I too loved this thread. I also have no plans to ever run a marathon (though who knows what the future holds), but I do have a strong desire to be a fast 5k racer. I realize it's going to take a while to get there, so I really loved reading the story of the Norwegian runner that BadDawg posted.
                              Training for a marathon will make you a faster 5k runner. Gosh, I feel like a pusher. It's not like I have a marathon problem - I can quit whenever I want - no, really I could. I mean just because I like them, doesn't mean I have to push them on others. But yea, marathon training can give you a faster 5k time. Seriously, I can quit any time and I'm not pushing my habit on anyone.