How many miles? (Read 1323 times)

xor

Mizuno Alchemy - 300. Brooks Adrenaline and Trance - 500. Loco Moco - 0. (the loco moco isn't a shoe, it's a hawai'ian breakfast dish. You don't want to run in/on it.)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I move shoes out of the long run category by about 250-300 miles. If I baby them along for short runs and treadmill work I can squeeze another 100 miles out of them before my shins feel it. I have wayyyy too many pairs in that babying stage right now. Dont want to throw away 50 miles, but damn my shoe rack is FULL.
      Heh, I have 2 pair like that right now...and a couple of pair that I don't really like (and a pair of Gore-Tex trail shoes that are too damned hot to wear once it gets above 40ยบ or so...those will be screw shoes this next Winter), so I save those for last resort. I think I have like 7 pair of shoes in rotation at the current time. My favorite shoe (NB 902/903) is a lightweight stability shoe with soft, grippy forefoot areas that wear down to the midsole pretty fast...and they start feeling just really flat by then, too. First pair I retired at just over 330 miles. I also developed knee issues at about the same time. I now retire these shoes by 250 miles and don't do long runs in them after I hit ~200 miles. Haven't had knee issues since.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

screw shoes
        Stop stealing Ed's line.

I don't get miles out of my shoes, I get kilometres. And sometimes cubits.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

(the loco moco isn't a shoe, it's a hawai'ian breakfast dish. You don't want to run in/on it.)
            You should speak with jscovil about this... he appears to get breakfast, lunch, and dinner out of his shoes.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

RickyB

well, I feel better knowing that some of you retire them with close to the same mileage. I'm not nenecessarily trying to fix anything it just seemed like I might be wearing mine out kind of quickly. I stop wearing them when things start to hurt (ankles,knees, and hips) I would assume thats the best time to stop and buy another pair. I bought another pair of the Saucony's today as well as the neautral Under Armour's.Has anyone tried the U.A.?

glutton for punishment

i have low arches too, ended up with NB 992/993. they are clunky looking but provide good stability. I had PF and these are the only shoes that seemed to work as far as improving the PF allowing me to run
                PRs: 5K - 22:15 May 09 10K - 47:11 feb 09 15K - 1:16 april 09 HM - 1:47 nov 08

RickyB

Thanks my dad runs in those and loves them. I think that will be my next try. I have tried N.B. before with no luck, but they were just some cheapies without a lot of cushion. how many miles do you seem to get out of them?
                    400 - 500 per pair of Nike Skylons. I alternate doing my weekly Long Runs between pairs and that seems to have increased the # of miles I'm getting.
                      I am chalking part of the reason for my Achilles tendonitis is the 850-900 miles I've put on my Asics Gel Kayanos. I weigh 195 and can tear up shoes, although I've found Asics last a long time. Looks like I waited one week too long to get new ones Dead Reading these posts - you guys only get 200-300 miles out of a pair? I really don't notice a difference until 600-700 miles. In college I got 1400 miles out of a pair. I wouldnt' be able to afford to run if I had to get shoes that often! Size 15 cushioned models I always have to order always run over $110. I have my rotation, too. My current shoes get washed and shifted to casual/golf role when the new ones arrive. Next down the line is grass cutting/dirt digging shoes, then the ones on the end get tossed.
                        I was running in some neutral Asics(SD-Turbo) from Kohl's. I got between 300-350 miles on 3 different pairs. I switched to Asics Cumulus 9 and managed to get around 500. I'm still running in these as I bought a bunch for cheap money when the Cumulus 10's came out. Once they are gone, I am contemplating making the switch to some light weight trainers like the Asics Speedstar. I am neutral and fairly light so trying to get away with less cusion and hoping to get more miles out of a pair. I run in flats for races and never have any problems.
                        Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Stop stealing Ed's line.
                          Yeah! But anyway, I do have some shoe mileage to share: Vibram FiveFingers Sprint - 1129 miles. I haven't used them much lately, but they're just as comfortable now as they were at mile 0.
                          Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                            I run until my shoes fall apart or my legs start to hurt, which ever happens first. One of the two normally happens between 500 and 600 miles. There are a lot of variables here such as form, weight, shoe type or brand so your results may vary. Your legs will tell you when it's time. Tom
                              Better question. Who spends the most on shoes? And who has the most aches and pains from running? Some facing flats for me. Over 800 miles so far. But the sole is starting to come off.
                              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Better question. Who spends the most on shoes? And who has the most aches and pains from running? Some facing flats for me. Over 800 miles so far. But the sole is starting to come off.
                                I got a gift certificate in the mail from our local running store. When I thanked the store's owner later, he said I got it because I was one of his best 100 customers in 2008! Blush Of course, I'm also buying shoes for DS16, who needs a new pair of shoes every couple of months, but still! I "forgot" to tell DH why I got the certificate.